HP Laserjet 3100 and USB converter cable (1429 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Randy609
Message 1 of 12 (1,429 Views)

HP Laserjet 3100 and USB converter cable

I have an HP 3100 and a new XP Pro computer with only USB. Got USB to parallel converter cable. On that company’s site I got the driver, and these instructions that say the driver will install by itself, that I don’t need to.

Instructions for Installing the USB to Parallel Adapter
Windows XP/VISTA (do not install the CD)
1) Plug the cable into the USB port on your computer.
2) A prompt that says "Found New Hardware" will appear. Windows will then install the USB printing support driver automatically. You do not need to install the driver from the CD.
3) Plug the cable into the printer.
4) If your printer is already installed, click on Start, then Printers & Faxes. Right click on the printer you are connecting to and click on Properties. Click on the Ports tab and check the ‘Virtual printer port for USB’ port. Click OK.
5) You should now be able to print.

I also found on their site the appropriate driver (http://micropactech.com/ver2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=240&Itemid=332 the last one under cables),

But I can’t seem to install the printer or figure out how to link the drriver. The 3100 It is not on the list of printers that comes up during the add printer wizard. I tried selecting the 2100 but that didn’t work either. Any idea? Shouldn’t I be able to use the printer?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 12 (1,429 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 3100 and USB converter cable

You need the cd in order to make your printer work in xp. Not only the cd but a later version then most people have. Below is a link with information and where you can order.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl11037&prodTypeId=18972&pro...
Occasional Visitor
Sebastian Bilbao
Message 3 of 12 (1,429 Views)

I also have the HP3100 but would like to connect it to a Network Area Storage drive. From there make it available to the network which includes Macintosh machines.

Are there drivers for the Mac?

thanks.

s.
Occasional Visitor
Rob Matthews
Message 4 of 12 (1,429 Views)

Has anyone been able to get an HP 3100 all-in-one printer to print using a parallel to USB adapter to connect to a computer that only accepts USB. If so, what kind of adapter did you buy, where did you get it, and was any special installation required?
Honored Contributor
Mcprinter
Message 5 of 12 (1,429 Views)

There are problems with lots of USB to parallel adapters.

Other users of the 3100 have reported success with this one:

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Mini-Centronics-Combo-Cable-Set.asp
Occasional Visitor
Randy609
Message 6 of 12 (1,429 Views)

So this looks promising. The page for the converter cable McPrinter mentioned said it wouldn't work with an all-in-one, so I guess it can't be assured. But the same company has an internal PCI card that gives you a parallel port on your computer, so you don't even need an adapter cable (I had gotten one but it still wouldn't work). So I ordered this and will let you know. It was $38. http://sewelldirect.com/connect-simply-parallel-pci-card.asp

On the questions/comments page for the 7383 (McPrinter's link) it also says a parallel express card will work. But that was $128.

Really helpful people: 801.356.3823 10-7 EST service@sewelldirect.com
Occasional Visitor
Rob Matthews
Message 7 of 12 (1,429 Views)

Randy, you can buy a parallel express card at the link below for $21.03.

http://www.ncixus.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=Syba+SY-EXPC34-1P+34MM+Parallel+Port+
Occasional Visitor
Randy609
Message 8 of 12 (1,429 Views)

i called Rob's place and they told me most desktops don't have express card ports; stick with the PCI card unless you have a laptop with the port.

Occasional Visitor
Randy609
Message 9 of 12 (1,429 Views)

Sorry, I meant Matt.
Honored Contributor
Mcprinter
Message 10 of 12 (1,429 Views)

I was answering Matt's question about a USB to parallel cable.

The cable may only give you print and not scan/fax.

A PCI parallel card should be a good solution on a desktop PC.
Interested to see your results Randy.

Lots of people post here who only have a laptop.

The Sewell cable has worked on many printers with and without the mini-centronics adapter.
Occasional Visitor
Rob Matthews
Message 11 of 12 (1,022 Views)

I bought the parallel express card at the link that I referred to in my previous post, and did everything I could to get it working on our notebook, but, disappointingly, with no success. I was surprised, as I would have thought this would have operated like a normal parallel port, and would produce the needed quality of two-way communications.

The card uses an adapter cable to convert from DB 25 to MicroCentronics 36, so I'm wondering whether the problem could be that communications are impaired by the adapter cable.

There are a number of statements on the Sewell site that indicate the adapter cable that Mc Printer referred to does not work with all-in-ones, so I'm hesitant to buy it, even though he says that a number of people have had success with it.

I too will be interested to hear of Randy's results. A new all-in-one would not be all that costly at present-day prices, and would be a whole lot less time-consuming, but I just can't stand to see a challenge like this stump us. Also, we have two 3100's that are in very good working order, so I hate to trash them.

Regards to all, and thanks for your contributions.

Matt
Occasional Visitor
Randy609
Message 12 of 12 (1,022 Views)

I got the PCI card and a friend tried to slide it in but couldn't get it to work. She said there was an indent/groove on the card that didn't have a match in the computer. I'm not physically able to pull it out and look at it myself, so I am waiting for another friend to return from festivities. But is that possible? Aren't PCI slots and cards universal? Any suggestions? I was counting on needing brawn only to get my CPU out and open, but being able to stick in the card myself.

By the way, HP support didnâ t suggest any of these solutions (I didn't yet know of these to ask), but they will trade in your 3100. No price break on the replacement but free full toner and shipping and 3100 disposal and other little perks. I learned of the 1522 (black and white) for $349 (more w/ fax) and the 2320 (color) for $549 (more again with fax).. Dimensions are bigger than the 3100. Both had color scanning. The more expensive versions of them had magnitudes higher scan resolution. Call 888-999-4747 and ask for this info rather than pay for tech support.

I don't care much about color printing but Iâ d love good photo-quality scanning. Does anyone know of a cheap/small color scanner that would let me digitize prints and negatives?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.