HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up-nothing responds (13449 Views)
Occasional Contributor
mahmoud al chahada
Message 1 of 19 (13,449 Views)

HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up-nothing responds

We are using HP LaserJet and its not working properly!!!we have this problem for months now..sometimes its ok and a lot of times its not...we've been very patient on this product trying to consider maybe on the next time it will work constantly fine...but the same problem (hewlett-packard)occuring everytime..now its freezing and we cannot use it for more than a week now..our office in UAE-dubai...we called HP customer service (technical) and they told us to pay charge which is too high....KINDLY PLEASE HELP US ON THIS MATTER ASAP....thanks!
Honored Contributor
Paul Canuck
Message 2 of 19 (13,449 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up-nothing responds

I will assume it is out of warranty. It likely needs a formatter which is the electronic board where the network cable plugs in. If you can track down an HP authorized service provider they may be able to replace the part under a service recall even if it is out of warranty.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 19 (13,449 Views)

Common issue on this series. HP has a service note that extended the warranty for 1 year on units made after Jan 2009 which is a joke since the issue has effected this series from the beginning. There is a fix that works over 90% of the time. You have to remove the formatter and remove any tape that may be on the board. Now you prop the board up on 4 corners and place in a baking pan with the chips facing up. Now preheat a oven to 350F (177C) and when the oven is ready, place the pan with the board in the oven and keep in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove the board and let cool for 30 minutes and put back in the unit and hope yours is one of the 90%. Link to service manual is below:

http://www.feedroller.com/Store/Service%20Manual/HP-LJ-M1522-MFP-Manual.pdf
Occasional Visitor
TSAA
Message 4 of 19 (13,390 Views)

I have had same problem! 1 hour ago I baked the formatter. And I can't believe my eyes - it's working again. I have not tested all functions, however I think it should be all good!

Just try baking before you through your printer away. Make sure you unsolder the back-up battery and remove all the stickers, so they don't melt. After it's baked. Let it seat for about 30 minutes, solder the battery back and it's ready to go!

GOOD LUCK!

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 19 (13,375 Views)

You do not have to take the battery off.  It will survive just fine as long as you do not exceed the recommended temperature.

Occasional Visitor
Rick Malthaner
Message 6 of 19 (11,969 Views)

Thank you so much for posting this!  After the thing broke down right around the one year mark, I was so annoyed I just left it sit.  I was about to throw it away tonight when I decided to do a google search and ran across this thread.

8 minutes at 350 degrees and it is working perfectly!

Thanks again!

Rick

Occasional Visitor
PeterMarvin
Message 7 of 19 (11,962 Views)

Did you ever get a solution

Occasional Visitor
SA65GMAN
Message 8 of 19 (11,587 Views)

I baked the formatter tonight and the printer is working as it should again.

You should definitely use the service manual because removing the side panel and formatter is not intuitive.  Pages 104 and 105 show how to remove the side panel and page 113 shows how to remove the formatter.  FFC stands for Flexible Flat Cable.  Pull the wire harnesses and FFCs straight out very carefully.  A chip extractor works well for disconnecting the wire harnesses. 

Occasional Visitor
MikeMelo
Message 9 of 19 (10,585 Views)

Well I just cook the formatter in the oven and is working again, looks like everything work fine now!!!

:)

SUPER!!!

Occasional Visitor
TimSch
Message 10 of 19 (10,202 Views)

Re: HP Laser M1522nf freezes up-nothing responds

Even though this really sounded out there, baking the board really does work.  Must be a delamination issue of some sort and the baking reseals things or something like that.  Would be nice to know why this works.

Regardless, my printer is now functioning properly.

Advisor
dtschak
Message 11 of 19 (8,376 Views)

I tried baking the formatter board at the recommended temperature and time.  This fixed things for a  few months, but then things went bad again.  I wish, now, that I had gone through regular HP  channels to fix the problem.  I will try contacting HP again, but don't have a good feeling about it.  I have yet the use up  my  first ink cartridge.

Enjoy,

Darrell Tschakert

Occasional Contributor
raulmw
Message 12 of 19 (7,036 Views)

I have same condition on my Laserjet M1522 nf. It  fianlly froze at the HP  name on the initialization. In ref to the baking:

1) what does it really resolve - what ist fixed with the bake at 350 F for 8 min

2) in regards to the battery, can I just remove the battery or do I gave to remove the solder als. If I do, why?

3) is this  a temp fix that needs to done every so often?

4) did you have any problems with the capacitors, in the bake?

The board sells for about $200+ so is not worth replacing, unless you know a better price

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 19 (7,034 Views)

Lets make this real simple since previous posters fixed theris.  Bake at the recommended temp.  You do not have to remove the battery.  It repairs colder solder joints on the main processor.

Occasional Visitor
RichSiegmund
Message 14 of 19 (5,990 Views)

Well, you can count me as another person saved by this thread.

I removed the left side panel, disconnected all the cabling, and put the formatter board (the larger one of two boards) in the oven at 350deg for 8 minutes.

Unfortunately I followed the suggestion to leave the battery on the board, and it sadly exploded in the oven.

I was able to order a replacement batter from Allied Electonics with a p/n BR1225-1HC

Cost about $3 for the part and another $10 for shipping and handling.  Arrived in 2 days, and after removing the exploded battery and replacing with the new one I simply reattached the formatter board and connected the cabling.

Was very happy to see the printer go all the way through the power on cycle.  I had stopped using the printer for over a year, but it still connected over the network and printed fine.

Fingers crossed that this will be a permanent fix!

Thanks to previous posters who found the solution and helped save this printer from the recycle heap!

Rich

Occasional Contributor
raulmw
Message 15 of 19 (5,630 Views)

I have a similar problem with my HP Ma522nf and I'm ready to try the oven trick. I read about it elsewhere and seen a recommendation on the battery, to remove it. Actually it said desoder the battery. I have not looked at the format board, does it have a sodered battery and if so did you desodred it?

Any comments/sugegstion on the removal of the format board?

Is there anything else that you may have removed prior to baking it ?

I'm real new at all this so anything esle that you can send me informationwise , would be appreciated

Occasional Visitor
drsteag
Message 16 of 19 (2,114 Views)

I just tried the oven trick last night, 350 degrees for 8 min, and so far so good.  I turned the printer on and it's been on for several hours without shutting down.  Before it wouldn't stay on for 5 minutes. I did not remove the battery when baking in the oven and it was just fine.  Thanks for this post.  Saved me lots of money on buying a new printer.  What an odd fix to a printer problem though!!

Occasional Visitor
swpearce
Message 17 of 19 (215 Views)

It's comforting to see so many people with the same product defect as mine.
My HP printer is a Laserjet 1536dnfMFP, that I've owned since new for three and a half years. It's connected to a MS Windows 7 Pro PC and the printer/scanner/fax has worked flawlessly for that time. Several weeks ago the printer started dropping off the network unexpectedly or freezing  up spontaneously even when I wasn't running any print jobs. A firmware update and repeated reinstalls of the latest software would only work for a short time...  sometimes only minutes before a freeze out. A Non-Volatile RAM reset  (NVRAM) didn't work either. After the software reinstall the printer might work and the scanner would not or vice versa. Finally on Thanksgiving day it gave up altogether and would not initialize with a freeze at the power up point. If that sounds like your printer then you have come to the right place. First, don't be daunted by the thought of opening up your printer to find the formatter board. Removing one screw and the left side cover of the printer comes right off with an insignificant amount of jiggling. Next, removing several of the flat ribbon tapes was easy as long as you are careful and gentle. I grasped the tapes by their edges without crushing them and rocked them back and forth in their slots as I ever so gently began retracting them. The last little bit of effort was focused (cussed) on removing the two wire pin at the edge of the board. It did not want to come out. A pair of needle nosed pliers with the tips wrapped a single time with electrical tape proved to be the perfect extraction tool for me. Then five phillips head screws were all that held the board captive. Once removed I inspected the board for obvious damage, of which I found none. I did note the Panasonic BR1225 3volt battery soldered to the board. I tested it for integrity and found that after three plus years it could barely put out 1.2volts. Hmmmm, very suspicious. Since earlier reports on this thread said the battery might rupture if cooked on the board, I desoldered the battery. Once the battery was off I cooked the board in my Jenn-air electric oven at 350 degrees, confirming the dial temperature coincided with my Lowes Laser thermometer. There is a picture in an earlier post on this thread that shows what to do... I copied that picture exactly. After the alotted time I removed the board and allowed it to cool to room temperature. During that cooling time I drove down to my neighborhood Radio Shack and purchased two BR1225 replacement batteries with the superceded model number CR1225 for $4.49 apiece. Why two batteries. I didn't want to sacrifice one battery with the soldering iron and have to go back and get a replacement when I initially botched the job. Once the battery was back in place making sure the the positive terminal of the board was soldered to the positive face of the battery and similarly the negatives matched up also I was ready to install the board. The whole procedure took about two hours to include the drive to Radio Shack for the batteries. The outcome? The Printer has been restored to full and gratifying service. The printer prints, the scanner scans, the fax faxes, and all is well for not having to buy a new printer. Now here is MY question. Did cooking the board solve the problem or did replaceing the failing battery solve the problem? Can't say, don't want to speculate. Once the board was out and the battery was off I decided to not swim against the tide and cooked the board too. Didn't seem to harm it in any way, and the outcome was the desired one. Cooking a board just doesn't make sense to me and that's all I'm gonna say on the subject. Oh yeah, I took the extra battery back to Radio Shack for a refund.  If you are interested the following URL will lead you to the Laserjet 1536 service manual (not the 1520 manual)  http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/M1530sm.pdf

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 18 of 19 (203 Views)

Everything in your post is fine, except you do not have the same product. This thread is for the 1522 and not the 1536 which are different machines. Although the same series, they are very much different. Nice to know the old baking trick may work on this model.
Occasional Visitor
SA65GMAN
Message 19 of 19 (185 Views)

The baking the board in the oven works, but oddly enough (for me anyway) it is not a permanent fix.  I have to do it about every six months.  I have done it 3 or 4 times now.  I have never removed the battery.  I can now breeze through the process in less than 30 minutes (including the bake time) - probably more like 15 to 20 minutes.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.