Re: HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up and will not print (8727 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Vickie Hall
Message 1 of 28 (8,727 Views)

HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up and will not print

My MF1522nf has been freezing up lately. Sometimes it's after a long idle, sometimes after a print job is sent and completed, sometimes during a print. When it freezes it will not respond to any key presses and has to be turned off and restarted to get it responsive again. However, restarting it hasn't fixed the problem permanently.

Please help solve this problem

Thank you,

Vickie
Occasional Visitor
David J Thomas
Message 2 of 28 (8,727 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet M1522nf freezes up and will not print

Vickie I had the Same Issue. I am writhing them 2

dave t
Occasional Visitor
Kurt Yau
Message 3 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I having the same issue with my printer.

I upgraded the firmware and reset the printer and it still freezes after being idle for even after 1 hour. Only way to print again is to unplug the power and turn the power back on.

Kurt
Occasional Contributor
Warren Mitchell
Message 4 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I have a 1522nf that is not attached to a computer at all and freezes up every day. I have already upgraded the firmware to the version released in January 2009 to solve other problems. Any suggestions?
Occasional Visitor
TSO NJ
Message 5 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I am yet another person with the same issue. Firmware updated recently has not solved the problem. Pulling the power cord solves the problem for a couple of hours.
Occasional Visitor
Derek Little
Message 6 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I am also experiencing the same problem. Maybe someone from HP can help us all out here.... wink wink nudge nudge.
Occasional Visitor
Martha Rogers
Message 7 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I'll add my voice to this. I turn the printer off and then on again, something cycles, and then nothing. The printer essentially is "off" even though the on switch is on.
Occasional Visitor
TSO NJ
Message 8 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I called HP tech support: (800) 474-6836

After explaining the problem and providing the model number the tech arranged for a replacement. He did not even go through any trouble shooting. He said it would be a refurbished unit without any toner or trays or cables and I should take all of those parts from my unit before returning. however, when it arrived it was brand new with all parts. It also works perfectly. Nice job by HP!
Occasional Visitor
Matt Finley
Message 9 of 28 (8,727 Views)

Same problem here...looks to be a problem with the firmware. I have had mine for about 9 mos and it just started freezing in the last few days.

Hopefully HP will honor their warranty and realize this is a common problem.
Occasional Visitor
Derek Little
Message 10 of 28 (8,727 Views)

I have an update. I called the HP support and they asked me to update to the latest firmware. I told the support person that I had already done that and that the machine was still freezing. Without any further questions I was instructed to take my faulty machine to the nearest repair center or to mail it in to them and have the formatter board replaced. They should be calling me today or tomorrow to give it back and I will let you guys know if the problem is solved.
Occasional Advisor
Jay Parekh
Message 11 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I am having the same issue, my printer display wont start up when restarting the device many times until i unplug the power cord and USB for 15 mins. After replugging those it does light up and i attempt to upgrade the firmware but it does not go all the way through and gets stuck at "Erasing"

From what I have been hearing the Formatter Boards on this printer seem to be problematic...is this the reason for my problem?

I haven't had this printer for even a year - is this covered under warranty??

also to the person who said HP replaced your unit - did they ask you to pay to ship it to them, my only issue is that these aren't light machines and I paid $60 bux for mine after rebate and i don't feel like paying almost that much just to ship the thing to potentially get a Refurb...I paid for a NEW item.

Occasional Visitor
Martha Rogers
Message 12 of 28 (8,681 Views)

HP Support also took my printer back. I did not pay for shipping. They sent me a new MNF1522 and I sent mine back in the same box with the fedex mailer they provided.

I did this about a month ago. So far, the printer's working.
Occasional Visitor
TSO NJ
Message 13 of 28 (8,681 Views)

They did not charge for shipping and they provided a pre-paid return shipping label. They did take a credit card in case I did not return the defective unit.
Occasional Visitor
P.I. Collins
Message 14 of 28 (8,681 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same thing. Tried flashing new firmware. Now no "ready" light.

Called HP.

HP shipping new next business day. As above, required credit card for deposit.

Occasional Visitor
vilma vaughan
Message 15 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I had the same problem.
I called HP Support.
Since my warranty period had expired (2 months ago), they suggested I locate a service center or opt for the out of warranty service, before with proceeding to determine what the issue was. With persuasion I was able to get a one time courtesy assistance. It was determined I would need a replacement machine, but, at an out of warranty cost of $179.00 +tax.

Just thought I would share my experience.
Occasional Contributor
Jeffrey Cheng
Message 16 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I have the same issue, I already replaced it with brand new unit. The problem is still there. I tried both PCL and POSTSCRIPT driver, both will happen.
Occasional Visitor
Cat Arias
Message 17 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I also have the same problem..Has anyone had any luck?
Occasional Visitor
Samy ElGharbawy
Message 18 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I have the same issue. Afer any job, for example printing, the LCD keeps displaying Priniting Docuement and the printer is now non-responding. sometimes when I press Cancel button it goes to Ready but sometimes I have to power cycle the printer to get it Ready.
I fid up of this printer.
Occasional Visitor
Duncan Harradine
Message 19 of 28 (8,681 Views)

I have 2 of these printers, both have this problem. One has been repaired by HP once and that lasted 2 months and is now doing the same again. The other has just started doing it and i'm about to call HP for that. Both have page counts less than 2000. I wish I'd read these posts before buying.
Occasional Visitor
Paige Gregson
Message 20 of 28 (8,681 Views)

It is the Formatter. This happend to my printer, same model within 45 days of buying it but it would work if I turned it off and on again and then it stopped working altogether. I refused to get off the phone with HP until someone would get me some answers.

They wanted me to pay for shipping but I simply asked them if that made sense to them. I live in BC and they wanted me to ship it to Ontario. They emailed me a pre-printed waybill.

They fixed it at their cost and paid to ship it back BUT in the meantime I had to recommission my old printer and fax and had to pay $90 for new toner.

Then, they returned my original machine as I checked the serial number so I was pleased that I didn't get someone elses machine BUT they kept my brand-new toner! I called to get it replaced but that was two months ago and it hasn't arrives.

HP is selling printers with a known problem and they will not refund your money. I suggest not accepting their poor customer service and insist on getting them to repair it, completely at their cost.

And by the way, I also own other HP products and I will re-consider the HP brand the next time I need to buy something.

Occasional Visitor
Ged325
Message 21 of 28 (8,096 Views)

Had the same issue.  They extended the warranty on the formatter.  Was originally told the exchange option (where they send you a printer and you send them back the bad one) was $69.  After asking to speak with a manager they finally waived the fee for the exchange (manager didn't even get on the phone).

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 22 of 28 (8,091 Views)

Yes, HP has a service note for this unit and will repair it at no cost if you bring it to an authorized service provider.  The formatter can, however, be repaired most times by users using a baking method (no joke).  Your remove the formatter (link to service manual below) and remove any tape by the memory slot and remove any chip if present in the memory slot.  Now take the board and place in a baking pan chips up and propped up so the bottom of the board does not touch the pan.  Prehead a good oven (regulated) to 350F (177C) and when the oven is ready, place the pan with the board in the oven and leave in the oven for 8 minutes.  Remove and let cool for 15 minutes, put back in the printer and the printer should work just fine.  Note only the formatter needs to be baked.  Do not bake the modem if you have one and of course remove the formatter with the unit unplugged from the power source.

http://www.feedroller.com/Store/Service%20Manual/HP-LJ-M1522-MFP-Manual.pdf

Occasional Visitor
Kranny70
Message 23 of 28 (8,071 Views)

I did the bake job as instructed by David and so far was successful, Not realy that hard to do.

If it piles up again I'll see if I can post again.

Thanks Dave

Occasional Visitor
Kranny70
Message 24 of 28 (8,029 Views)

It has been 1 month since baking the formatter board as instructed by DavidZuts and I am pleased to say everything is working fine.
Occasional Visitor
jaltman
Message 25 of 28 (3,930 Views)

So its been a couple years since this thread was active, but had the same problem on my M1536dnf.  Found the manual to disassemble and removed the formatter board.  Baked it as indicated and all is well.  So, this good information lives on and is still appreciated in 2014.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.