Re: HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP (35992 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 1 of 31 (35,994 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP

I have a new HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP. The first time I turned on the machine it went through the phases of booting. When it gets to phase 8/8 I get the following message 49.38.07 device error. To continue turn off and then on. I can't see it in Web JetAdmin. I have link lights, the jack is patched and active. All the packing material has been removed. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ann

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 2 of 31 (35,992 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP

I should mention this is a demo unit from HP.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
turi
Message 3 of 31 (35,966 Views)

That is a firmware error.

Try this

1. Turn printer on and watch when the display shows memory count, press and hold the down arrow until all three lights on the control panel are lit.

2 Press the up arrow

3 Press the home button, the message Skip disk load will display.

4 press the up arrow till NVRAM INIT is highlited.

5 Press the OK button

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 4 of 31 (35,932 Views)

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately that didn't work. When it boots up it doesn't show the memory count, it just shows 1/8, 2/8 and so on. I'm not sure how to get to NVRAM INIT

Ann

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kwilson73
Message 5 of 31 (35,912 Views)

I had this same error. When I came in to the office today, my CM4540 was displaying Error 49.38.07 and rebooting only resulted in the same error. I called HP support and spent 2 hours going through their troubleshooting methods. Nothing worked. So, I downloaded the most recent firmware onto a USB thumb drive and installed it from the USB port on the console. I reconfigured all my settings and viola, it now works.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 6 of 31 (35,869 Views)

Where did you find the download for the firmware?  I have searched and searched HP's website and can't locate it.

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
affableLJ
Message 7 of 31 (35,840 Views)

The document below has the steps on performing a FW upgrade. Good luck!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02646741&prodT...

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Tim McManus
Message 8 of 31 (35,666 Views)

There doesn't seem to be a firmware update posted for this device. Are you sure you downloaded new firmware? If so, can you post the link where you found it? It's not listed on the Software & Drivers page.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 9 of 31 (35,662 Views)

The firmware is not posted on the HP site. You will need to get a hold of your HP contact for assistance.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
MikeN2
Message 10 of 31 (35,500 Views)

[ Edited ]

The firmware for the HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP has just been put on the HP web site.  Its address is:

www.hp.com/go/cljcm4540mfp_firmware

If for some reason that link doesn't work, the path to get to the download is:

hp.com -> Support & drivers ->

Click Download drivers & software

Type CM4540 MFP into product box and enter

Select model number on next page

Below the list of OS entries for drivers is a link that says:  Cross operating system (BIOS, Firmware, Diagnostics, etc.)

I hope this helps.  I would recommend this upgrade if your device doesn't already have it.

Mike

(I edited this reply from my original to change the firmware download URL.  The new link is a permanent URL that should be durable across FW revisions. )

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ann Curler
Message 11 of 31 (34,420 Views)

Thank you.

Our issue ended up being a bad hard drive and formatter board. HP sent us another demo this is working like a charm.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bentec
Message 12 of 31 (34,409 Views)

I had a similar problem with the 4540 I am working with. I was poking around in the pre-boot menu and cleaned the disk, now it always displays a not a bootable device when starting it. The help says to download the firmware. I have the firmware I just don't know how to deliver it to the printer through the pre-boot menu which is the only thing I have access to now. I have a download option, from Network or USB I assume I need some kind of software other than Web Jetadmin. I can ping IP address I assigned to the printer, but Web Jetadmin won't discover it by IP address. I am also not sure how to do it through USB

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
MikeN2
Message 13 of 31 (34,401 Views)

If you go to the hp.com firmware download page, you will find two files; one for Windows and one for Unix.  The Windows file is a self-extracting archive.  When you execute it, it will unzip itself into a directory with two files.  The first file is a .doc readme with instructions.  The second file is a .bdl file with the firmware contents. 

The Unix file is a TAR archive.  It will expand similarly to the Windows executable.

The detailed instructions for a USB update are on Page 10 of the readme file.  In general, though, you copy the .bdl file to a thumb drive, plug it into the device and select USB upgrade from the pre-boot menu.  Anytime the disk is wiped, this type of update will be required.  The boot firmware only has enough functionality to bring up the pre-boot menu and finish loading code from the internal hard drive.

Mike

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
muckman
Message 14 of 31 (33,957 Views)

I have tried putting the bdl file on a usb device and it says it cannot find it in the pre-boot menu you were speaking about. Do i need to format my USB drive a special way? Do i need to drop the TAR file on it instead? 

When i am in the USB mode and have a cable connected between the printer and the computer it tries to install drivers. Can i use an Easy Firmware update utility here?

I have tried the network function to download the firmware to it and it comes up with an address and i cannot speak to the machine here either. I noticed that i needed WebJetadmin but i am having install issues with that so that probably wont work either.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kris Jernberg
Message 15 of 31 (33,357 Views)

I had the same issue on my CM4540 and when I was unable to upgrade using the USB I reformatted using NTFS instead of FAT32.   Placed the Firmware file on the Thumb drive and it worked.

Good Luck. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Ringo Noer J
Message 16 of 31 (29,571 Views)

I have the same problem with you Ann,

In my experience solving this problem:
1. we can not access Embedded Web Server when this error appear
2. all the panel said is Restart the machine, and no hope the error appear again :)

This what i did to solve the problem, and its works:
1. I restore the machine to factory setting
What to know:
- this step will erase all the machine setting
- this step will erase all the machine setting (i said it twice :) )

How:
- some article said just use the Cold Reset menu on Pre Boot menu of the machine, but it didnt work on me, just skip that one
- download the latest firmware here
- extract the file and copy the *.bdl file to USB, put the *.bdl file on the USB root (dont put it on folder)
- turn off the machine, plug the USB in to the machine (i'm sure you know where the USB port is) and then turn on the machine
- just wait untill initial setup of the printer appear (such as: setup the time zone, local time, etc), follow the instruction
- you got likely a brand new machine now (with old/default firmware) :)

2. Upgrade the firmware
What to know:
- instead of install the new one , running the *.bdl file from USB only restore the machine to factory setting
- so downloading any new firmware and run it from USB wont update the firmware in this error case, its only restore the machine to factory setting
- restoring *.bdl file from USB wake your machine up from the dead before :), so upgrading with Embedded Web Server is surely ok now

How to:
Please read the instruction here to upgrade the firmware

Note:
- I suggest you to use the first way, which is upgrading the firmware from Embedded Web Server

Good Luck

Ringo

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hammadah
Message 17 of 31 (28,185 Views)

How to restore HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP to factory setting.

The only thing that i can see on the screen is:

" 49.38.07 DEVICE ERRIR"

To continue turn off and then on.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Imagenet_Tech
Message 18 of 31 (27,527 Views)

You should be able to power on the device and flash the latest firmware to it.

It should be able to do the trick. If you need the latest firmware here is the link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4073012&...

If not maybe the formatter or hard drive, but I would try this first. Also, if you check out the read me on these machines as well as the 4555 you will see the latest firmware will fix these errors.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew G. hauge
Message 19 of 31 (25,298 Views)

A little information about this printer.

This printer does not have the same on chip firmware as previous HP models. the FW is an embedded XP software which is located on the harddrive. The only way to install the fw after the harddrive has been erased/formatted is to do this using USB. Format an USB pen with Fat32, and copy the .bdl fw file to it. During the startup (As soon as the HP logo appears) press the stop button (Red button with an X on it). The alternate boot menu will appear.

Select "Download", and then the USB device. You can use the USB port on the control panel even though HP says not to.

The display will show you the .BDL files on the USB thumb drive. Select the one you want to install. and copy it to the printer. After that exit the alternate menu, and the rest will solve it self.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
alvaroh
Message 20 of 31 (7,214 Views)

I need help HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP

Reference: HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP

Hi,
I need help to solve problem with firmware update (. Bdl).
I am following the correct steps to loading the installation file (. Bdl) when the printer is in error, but once it is initializing the printer does not end, does it have the main menu. Message: "initializing ..." and so on ad infinitum.
Someone can help me?? Thank you very much in advance.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Imagenet_Tech
Message 21 of 31 (7,188 Views)

Re: I need help HP LaserJet CM4540 MFP

Hello, when it shows initializing on the screen, is there a counter number or progress, and how long did you let it run for? This model does take a while to boot up so I am just trying to gage the time it is taking. Also, what procedure are you doing to install the firmware? Also, what is the error code you are getting? Another thing when loading the firmware, does it successfully install?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
alvaroh
Message 22 of 31 (7,180 Views)

Hello, when it shows initializing on the screen, is there a counter number or progress, and how long did you let it run for?

This model does take a while to boot up so I am just trying to gage the time it is taking. Also, what procedure are you doing to install the firmware? Also, what is the error code you are getting? Another thing when loading the firmware, does it successfully install?

Answers: 

The counter advances indefinitely, will not stop.

For firmware installation used three method included in your website, following step by step with the OK result. (Method Three: USB flash drive - Preboot Menu (Pre-Start))

The error code was 49.2F.0A
your procedure says to fix it by installing the firmware.

I appreciate your help.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Imagenet_Tech
Message 23 of 31 (7,154 Views)

Hello, have you tried doing the partial clean prior to the firmware update? Also, what firmware version do you have? I recently tried loading the latest which came out in Nov. but when I tried loading it I got a bundle not complete. So I would try to see if you can load the previous version.

What was the original error that you were getting on the machine?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
alvaroh
Message 24 of 31 (7,144 Views)

Hello, have you tried doing the partial clean prior to the firmware update? Also, what firmware version do you have? I recently tried loading the latest which came out in Nov. but when I tried loading it I got a bundle not complete. So I would try to see if you can load the previous version.

What was the original error that you were getting on the machine?

1. How do I make partial cleaning?

2. cljCM4540fw_2300366_378463.bdl

3. error message: 49.2F.0A 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Imagenet_Tech
Message 25 of 31 (7,067 Views)

Hello, okay in order to do the partial clean you will need to follow these steps:

Power on device, when you see all LEDs light up, press the X (stop button).

At this point you will be in the pre-boot menu, in this menu you will use 3 and 9 to scroll through menus and 6 will act as enter.

Select administrator, scroll down to partial clean.

Next, scroll up to download, then select accordingly to where you are downloading the firmware from.

Hope this helps....

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation