Re: HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn not responding to any input. (456 Views)
Occasional Contributor
MeSat
Message 1 of 3 (479 Views)

HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn not responding to any input.

[ Edited ]

MFP M475dn that was purchased 2013, October and now it won't function.  Printer stops responding to all inputs in less than 5 minutes after a power restart.  Has worked like a charm until January 08 when it responded to an web app that was installed.  Problem was noticed yesterday.

When through the problem solving checklists from the HP web site.

Found the thread

HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn Does not print

on these forums.

On power up, EWS connects and I can go through the settings and features.  In less than five minutes, connection stops working.  Display on the front is still showing active.  Even EWS page refreshes don't respond.  Even doing page refreshes don't prevent the printer from stopping.

Using the front panel, I cannot print any of the reports or default forms built into the printer.  The printer panel shows that it is going to print the report but then nothing happens.

Using the front panel, I cannot print any of the reports or default forms built into the printer.  The printer panel shows that it is going to print the report but then nothing happens.

Putting any document into the document feeder doesn't wake the printer up either.   Putting a USB stick into the printer doesn't wake it up.

After a reboot, I can print forms and documents from the control panel.  Print jobs in the cups spools on any computer connected to the network will then print.

Cannot copy or scan without doing a power reset.

Details from the Device Configuration page of the EWS.

Firmware Datecode:          20120808
Smart Install SW Version:     07/18/2012,1.0.12200.344
HP Smart Install:     Enabled

Total Impressions: 1042

Energy Settings
Sleep Delay:    15 Minutes
Power Down Delay:    30 Minutes
Wake on These Events
USB Job      Yes
LAN Job      Yes
Control Panel Touch    Yes
Fax Ring      Yes
Paper in ADF      Yes
USB Drive Insert      Yes

Super Advisor
Oldscout
Message 2 of 3 (456 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn not responding to any input.

Unplug the network cable then try rebooting the machine.
If it comes up ok the the network is causing the issue.
Try upgrading the firmware if you can.
You could also try restoring the defaults in the service menu.
Occasional Contributor
MeSat
Message 3 of 3 (375 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn not responding to any input.

I have been very busy but I thought I had better update this to give people answers and know what happened.

As it turns out, the issue was the router.  Unplugging the network helped but plugging it back in caused issues.  It turned out that the router was acting up in a strange way.  Even though the printer was not on DHCP, when the router DHCP server quit, the printer would quit working as expected.  If left long enough, the problem got worse for the printer.  As there were no other network issues apparent, the printer acting up looked like a failing printer.

As teh router was also the DSL modem, we had to get it replaced by the telco.

Off topic.  If you have had your DSL for a few years, check into newer packages.  We dropped our total phone bill and got faster internet out of the deal.  :)

Thank you Oldscout

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.