HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn Does not print (34323 Views)
Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 1 of 24 (34,323 Views)

HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn Does not print

[ Edited ]

Hi,

i have a problem with a LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn. Sometimes it stops printing from the network and needs to be restarted. It's not a network problem because i can ping the ip address of the printer and the web interface it's accesible; there are other printers on the network, but they don't have any problem. I can print a test page from the web interface, but when i try to print from a pc on the network, it does not print anything, documents are stuck on the print queue.  After i reboot the printer, it starts printing again for 2/3 days, then it "hangs" again.

I tried to disable ipv6 and the eco mode, but with no success. The firmware updated to the last version. In the event log there are some errors "54.2100  BD Error".

Is there anything i can do to solve the problem or i need to send the printer for assistance?

Thanks.

P.S. this thread has been moved from Laserjet to Multifunction and All-in-One - Hp Forums moderator

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 2 of 24 (34,310 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 400 color MFP M475dn Does not print

I have the same exact problem.  I have a case open with HP regarding this.  I have sleep mode off, system has been reset, etc.  Static IPs, dhcpv6 off.  Majority of the computers are running OSX 10.8.3.

I have a wireshark capture that shows there is two-way communication to the printer, however, it just never prints until you physically power-cycle the unit.  Looks like a firmware defect to me.  

Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 3 of 24 (34,304 Views)

I also think it's a firmware bug.

I'm really disappointed to see that i'm not the only one having this problem.

It's a serious bug for a professional printer (not a cheap one).

Neighborhood Moderator
affableLJ
Message 4 of 24 (34,289 Views)

The DC controller needs to be replaced. This is a Beam detect (BD) error. I recommend contacting HP support.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 5 of 24 (34,286 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I will contact the support, hope a new dc controller will fix the issue.

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 6 of 24 (34,207 Views)

Just an update on my case here.  I've had a case open with HP since 3/11/2013 and they have so far been unable to fix my problem.  My printer is the M475dw, but the symptoms are the same.  I have owned this printer since 1/21/2103.  I am seeing the below error codes:

I have network traces showing full connectivity to the printer.  The printer will start to receive a job, and eventually, the TCP stack will report zero windows indicating it's buffers are full.  The print queue on my computer reports "The printer is in use".  The printer never prints my job.  It WILL only print from the front panel when it's in this condition.

This problem also exists printing via wireless direct as well.  The only workaround I have is to reboot the printer prior to each print job.  We don't print that often, so it winds up we are power-cycling the printer every few days as we need to print.  

My case has been escalated to no avail so far.  I'm trying to return this printer for a refund, but it appears HP is unwilling to process this because it's outside the 21 day return policy.  I'm still waiting for a call back about this.  I'm kicking myself in the butt right now for not opening a case sooner, but instead relied on the forums and various other tests before finally caving in and opening a support case. 

Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 7 of 24 (34,144 Views)

I've also a case opened with the hp support, they have changed the formatter card, but after one day the problem started again. I'm really disappointed, it seems there's no solution for this, the printer is unusable.

@biskit: have you tried to connect the printer to a pc with the usb cable and start a print? Now i'll try to do this, if the printer works from the usb connection, maybe we could connect the printer with the usb cable to a printer server, as a temporary workaround.

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 8 of 24 (34,135 Views)

@alv1234:I haven't tried using any USB yet. I might give it a shot next time it hangs.  I also might try the print server idea you mentioned as a workaround too. Currently, HP support wants me to test if a windows machine also experiences the same problem during this time.  In addition, they want me to disable the "power down mode" in addition to the "sleep mode".  I just power-cycled my printer on 4/15, but it hasn't hung yet for me to run any of the requested tests.  The problem usually re-occurs for me every 1-3 days.

Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 9 of 24 (34,125 Views)

I've tried printing from a pc with the usb connnection when the printer was hang: the printer started to print and after a short time, it started printing again from the network, without restarting.

I really don't know what's the problem with the network connection, but surely it's not related to my network, because i've also tried with a network cable directly connected to the printer. Now i'm going to try with a router with usb port and connect the printer to the router usb share, instead of directly to the printer network card.

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 10 of 24 (34,096 Views)

Just an update.

The printer was stuck with "incoming call" on the display and asked me if I wanted to Start a Fax.  There were no active calls at this time.  Disconnecting the phone line did nothing.  The printer then prompted "49 service error, turn off then on".  The printer rebooted itself and the event log reported error code:

After the computer was back online, I was able to print, etc. 

Next day...

The printer has currently stopped printing from the network again. It reports "Printing - The printer is in use" on OSX (10.8.3 all machines). This is seen with OSX 2.13 HP print driver bundle as well as OSX 2.14 HP print driver bundle.

I have a windows XP VM that shows a slightly different problem during this time. The print job appears to complete successfully, but nothing is printed on the printer. It appears to just "queue" the job on the printer. Nothing prints.  Back on OSX, I can see an additional print job from the XP machine hit the printer, but it's stuck behind "Printing - The printer is in use". Clearing the jobs does nothing to fix the problem.

Alternately, I have setup an airport extreme that has direct USB connectivity to the printer. I can print directly to the printer using USB instead of via the network.  Unfortunately, this doesn't clear the network problem I have.  

I have uploaded the network traces to HP support, but only "level 3" can decode them.  So, I'll just decode them myself.

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 11 of 24 (34,086 Views)

After decoding the printer traces, I can see that the HP printer does not respond to the IPP Print-Job command during a failure.

Packet sequence looks like this:

OSX-> IPP Get-printer-attributes ID=1

HP->Response Success ID=1

OSX-> Print-Job ID=2

HP should respond with a success for Job ID=2, it doesn't so OSX sends:

OSX->IPP Get-printer-attributes ID=3

HP->Response Success ID=3

OSX->IPP Get-Jobs ID=4

HP->Response Success ID=4

We become stuck in an get-jobs request because I assume something in there is saying printer is in-use (At least, that is what OSX tells me). The dissector in wireshark appears defective so I can't decode this frame in detail.  

In a working scenario, the HP responds to the Print-Job and all works.  The TCP session in all cases appear clean. Makes me conclude there is a firmware defect causing this.

Occasional Advisor
alv1234
Message 12 of 24 (34,065 Views)

I think that hp should investigate about this problem and fix it: the support have changed the formatter card, which is the entire logic controller card, but the problem still remains. I also think it's a firmware bug.

Occasional Visitor
Russco
Message 13 of 24 (33,942 Views)

Afetr searching the net for any firmware updates I cannot find any that address this problem. I am experiencing exactly the same as a few others on this forum - printer queue is full, but no printing happening. A reboot sorts it out for a few hours and then the same thing.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Occasional Visitor
Solulogic
Message 14 of 24 (33,823 Views)

I have the same probem since 1 week. I will call tomorrow. I bought it in march 2013
Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 15 of 24 (33,781 Views)

Just an update, HP has replaced the "formatter" on the printer. This is a board on the printer that formats data from the network and puts it into a format the printer understands.

The above did not fix my problem. I still have a case open and I'm still jumping through hoops via HP support. I still feel this is a firmware issue that is not being properly addressed by HP.
Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 16 of 24 (33,587 Views)

HP, finally sent me a new printer on June 1st.  I've had it powered on since then, but have been unable to really test it until June 13th.  So far, this printer seems to be working properly.  I haven't experienced any hangs like I was with the previous printer.

Also, I noticed that I no longer see any warnings in OSX when selecting the printer when initially printing to it.  When the printer was in a "failed" state, before I even printed, there would be a warning triangle in the printer list pull down when trying to print.  If you hover over the message, it would give an error like "ipp-job-missing" or something close to that.  I don't recall the exact error any more.

I'll post an update if this printer stays up for the next 2 weeks.

Occasional Visitor
Solulogic
Message 17 of 24 (33,555 Views)

I exactly have the same problem, HP sent tech twice to my home, replace first the logic board, and i had the same problem, at the second time he change the other board BD, the problem will dissapear for 3 days and comme back after, i re-open a new case at HP center, 

i can ping the printer, acces the printer web page,  print report by the printer web page, but can not print any documents, system tell that the job is not accept by the printer

i use 2 computer with windows system, 2 mac, iphone and ipad, even Airprint by iphone dont works

Yves

Occasional Advisor
biskit
Message 18 of 24 (33,399 Views)

Just a follow up.  It appears that my problem has been resolved after the printer was replaced.  It's been up and operational for over 2 weeks without an issue.  Too bad it took over 4 months to get this finally working.

Occasional Visitor
CBRCDD
Message 19 of 24 (32,381 Views)

I had this same issue with an out of the box M451dn.  Anyone trying to print to the printer would see their computer appear to print normally but nothing would come off the printer. The printer would return a 49 Error and then go back to a ready screen.

Printer assigned a static IP on a network with multiple machines mapped to the printer for use. Found a single machine that tried to print a document that became corrupt kept all other machines on the network from being able to print to the printer. 

Go to each machine on the network that has the problematic printer added. Stop the print spooler service. From a run command, type SPOOL to open the internal spooler. Click on the printers folder and see if there are any documents held in the folder. The reason for stopping the spooler service is so you can delete any documents hanging in the spool. Once the documents are deleted, restart the print spooler service. Repeat this process for every machine that has the printer added. 

This cleared up the issue for me and I was successfully able to print from all machines. 

As this is a business class / networked printer, I feel the firmware handling this situation in this manner is not conducive to business operations. If there is something hanging it, the printer needs to provide some type of notification of where the issue originated / is located. If this were in a network with 100+ users, it would become very tedious to resolve. The other option would be to install the printer on a server and share the printer from there to create a single spool point.

I hope this clears the issue up for many who appear to be having this problem, but I really think HP needs to look into this and rework the firmware to include some type of notification / auto clearing resolution...

Occasional Visitor
webdisaster
Message 20 of 24 (20,621 Views)

thave the same printer. and my warranty is expired.now i have error 49 on fax sending and network printing.

a 500 Euro letterholder...

Occasional Contributor
F. Bryan Cooper
Message 21 of 24 (19,630 Views)

I think there is more than one error.  HP451dn - on a Mac 10.7

The ipp process on the Mac goes wild and has to be killed.

This could be the communication error mentioned above.  

I have turned the printer on and off (yes I did) to fix it.  BUt it is definitely hanging and needs a boot to the head.

I found the 49 error as well.  I was able to work around that as I could see this printer was having trouble with

landscape oriented pages that were 'auto' changed or something on the Mac.  By manually printing them portrait,

they worked fine.  I am about to print a bunch of mixed landscape and portrait docs - not expecting that to work.

Occasional Visitor
hhvxscale
Message 22 of 24 (18,126 Views)

Hi,

same errors here, the log of the M475dw shows a 54.2100 error but also some 49.* errors. I've had the printer crash and reboot, just by printing a Pages document to it. It's a great printer but overall I am quite unsatisfied with it's reliability. 

Huib Verweij.

Occasional Visitor
Jonim
Message 23 of 24 (17,717 Views)

I am having this problem too. Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't. Sometimes I just have to turn the printer on and off.

Today the print cue just sat there and it said 'printer not connected'. I deleted the printer in 'Printers & Scanners' (I"m on mac system 10.9) and added it again. Now the files only go to the cue for a second and then disappear; nothing is printed.  Tried installing the HP print package and that didn't work either. Also tried adding it using it's IP address.

When adding it, the printer shows up as a Bonjour printert, but then doesn't seem to actually connect and won't show the ink levels. It also won't find a driver using 'Auto Select', it just goes back to 'Choose a driver'.

Occasional Visitor
Bartvv
Message 24 of 24 (4,302 Views)

I have exactly the same issue with the 476DW.

When trying to print is usually works one time when the pc is just restarted.

As from the next printjob word (or Adbobe, ...) stops responding and nothing happens.

In most of the cases I can print again one time after rebooting the pc and sometimes logoff/on is sufficiant as well.

Good to know, I have another network laser printer from Konica-Minolta and I can print all the time on that one. Even at moments when I can't print at all on the HP. I'm using windows 8.1

Already re-installed the latest full-suite from the HP site. Did first run the scrubber to clean-up all remaing older drivers, did update the firmware of the printer. Still the same.

I did try from another Win8.1 computer and problem is exactly the same.

When I cannot print, I can still ping the IP Address.

Don't know anylonger what I can try to get this printer working normally.

All suggestions are more than welcome.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.