HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7 (43202 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rooter
Message 51 of 92 (15,297 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7

32-bit
Occasional Advisor
Adam Conklin
Message 52 of 92 (15,153 Views)

Any updates on 64-bit working yet?  Still waiting here, hoping something will come along soon, I need that scanning working!

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 53 of 92 (15,137 Views)

I think it's time to shake the tree again at HP. I haven't seen anything from them in the past month. I'll call them on Monday, 7/26, and post my results.

-john

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 54 of 92 (14,994 Views)

I opened another live chat ticket and hit the same brick wall. It's coming "soon" no real ETA. :(

I did go and write a few letters to the board members of HP, but I doubt I'll hear anything from them.

-john

Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 55 of 92 (14,988 Views)

Your persistence is remarkable John!  I hope it pays off someday.

Occasional Advisor
Calvin Christensen
Message 56 of 92 (14,946 Views)

I also hope they come up with a solution for scanning with the 3390 using Win 7 & 64-bit OS. 

... I hope the Board focuses on this customer service instead of the other distractions they may have these days....

Occasional Visitor
arom
Message 57 of 92 (14,873 Views)

Hp LaserJet 3390 scanner assy part number?

Occasional Visitor
dbenett
Message 58 of 92 (14,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

Calvin,

Have you had any luck getting your scanner to work?  I am having the same problem!

Occasional Visitor
CPost
Message 59 of 92 (14,577 Views)

Anyone able to scan yet with the 3390 using Windows 7 64 bit??

I see that blogs on this topic have been going for over a year, and no fix yet from HP.

Now I see why our Tech Advisor is telling us to stay away from HP.

Pretty sad when we have 5 of these in our office and none of them will scan when we upgrade all workstations to Windows 7 64.

WEG
Occasional Visitor
WEG
Message 60 of 92 (14,399 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new HP computer with Windows 7.

My driver-disk that came with my 3390 won't install on Windows 7.

After that failed, Windows 7 was able to install some sort of generic drivers. But now, using adobe Acrobat, the scanner runs at a fraction of it former speed. Now it is no more than one page per minute. Unacceptable.

I can no longer fax directly from any of my programs. I now have to PRINT-OUT documents, and run them manually through the scanner. UGGHHH!

Occasional Visitor
Jack_Naisbett
Message 61 of 92 (15,523 Views)

Hi there,

I don't know if this has been suggested, but would Windows XP mode work? I know on my 32-bit Windows 7 Professional that I have to use Windows XP mode to be able to scan over the network, but I'm not sure how this works out on 64 bit systems. I think I read somewhere the XP mode is 32-bit regardless of the version of Windows 7 you have, but I can't recall where!

Not sure if this will be any help, but thought I'd add to it.

Regards,

Jack

Occasional Visitor
JackT
Message 62 of 92 (15,432 Views)

Bonjour All,

I'm surprised to see this thread confirming the low commitment to HP to provide full features available of the great product AllinOne HP3390 that I'm using for 3 years now. I've just moved from XP to Windows7-64 bits because of new laptop - and experienced some confusing situation to try to get the scanner working on the network - that is a mandatory reason for my purchase - not available anymore. I join your group to complain about it - as is unacceptable to regress on capabilities while changing OS.

Hopefully, HP will workout to release the Windows 7 64 bits certified shortly based on our requests, to provide the full features and capabilities available. I can't imagine that HP doesn't have a ETA date to provide us, and by experience (I'm in the software veteran), if not provided, means LOW priority.

Can someone from HP please provide clarity ?

Thanks all for keeping the threat alive until satisfactory resolution, as no pressure, no outcome...

Best to all

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 63 of 92 (15,236 Views)

FYI, I have opened another case with HP. I will post the results once they respond.

-john

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 64 of 92 (15,204 Views)

The case I have open is 4621196798. My initial responce from them was the same as always, it's not out yet, and to sign up for driver alerts.

I responded back a little more forcefully then normal as I am getting a little tired of the runaround. Here was my responce:

---------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but this time that answer is unacceptable. I want to know now when support will be available. I am using this printer in a business situation. I currently have pulled a computer out of retirement running XP which is no longer our company standard to support this system. This printer was in production during Windows Vista 64 bit and the release of Windows 7. I would like some communications with someone in your company with answers. I have been patient up till now because I respect HP and am a fan of your products. But with the runaround I have had for ALMOST A YEAR now on this product, I would like to get an answer EVEN IF it is that this product will never be supported in 64-bit Operating system even though I have been told NUMEROUS times that it was under development and would be available 'soon'. At least in that case I can work into my 2011 budget for a replacement system. And I only have 2 more weeks before our 2011 budget submissions are finalized. I believe that as a paying client for your equipment, that I deserve that information. You must realize that as the senior network engineer for my company, this make me hesitant to purchase HP products in the future as we do not know if it will be supported the year after we buy it. This is the poorest example of customer service I have ever experienced with any organization and I highly suggest you escalate this case to someone that can provide the answers we require. Thank you.

The answer back was:

From the information provided, I understand that the issue is the availability of the complete software for the Windows7 64 bit for scanning through USB and through network. According to the product number Q6500A and serial number CNLJP22079, the warranty on the HP LaserJet 3390 Printer has expired. John, please check with the HP forums for a technicial answer for the software release for the Laserjet 3390 printer. You can visit www.hp.com and post your query in the forums.

Basically, they are saying that since it is out of warranty, they don't have to answer the question.

My reponse back is to purchase a service package for the printer if I can get a) the software or b) an answer. We'll see where that goes..

-john

Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 65 of 92 (15,201 Views)

OMG, this makes my blood boil!!  It's as if a machine is answering the question and your very complete and thoughtful description was all for naught.

Your comment about just wanting a definitive answer, whether it's a target date for the driver or simply a NO/NEVER, gets to the real crux of the problem. Maybe they just want to take so long that everybody has given up and dumped their printers for newer models and the problem will go away.  It's disgusting from a big company who until now has been the "gold standard" in office printing.  They are going to lose customers' future business, and they probably know it.  But have they made the strategic decision that they will lose fewer customers than what it costs to develop new drivers and let people keep their printers? Maybe.

Posting in the forum is what we've been doing for a year, and everybody can see how far that's gotten us!  Has ANYBODY ever seen someone from HP respond to a question on these forums?  Do they even have anyone that reads them?

I just wish there was a way to organize a group of people and meet or call with someone higher on the chain at HP to get that one definitive answer.  It's RIDICULOUS what they are putting us users and integrators through.  HP, WE WANT AN ANSWER! DON'T LEAVE US HANGING ANY LONGER!!

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 66 of 92 (15,195 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK Folks, this is the OFFICIAL word. I called into HP and esclated the call up to management.

THIS PRINTER WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED UNDER 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEMS AND SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT FOR THE LASERJET 3390 HAS BEEN HALTED.

Finally got someone to tell me what we all suspected. Only took 8+ months, dozens of e-mail, phone calls, and chat sessions.

Sorry folks, I wish I had found out differently. And I wonder why the from HP ever answered this thread to let us know that.

-john

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 67 of 92 (15,192 Views)

Oh, and to top it all off, the engineer I spoke to said that the notice on the discontinuation of software development for the 3390 was announced several months ago and he was surprised that I had been told numerous times that it was still in the works and would be available "soon".

-john

Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 68 of 92 (15,185 Views)

[ Edited ]

I repeat, disgusting.  Have you located that discontinuation notice, or does he just mean that bulletin about using 32-bit that sidestepped everything else?

Funny (sad) coincidence: today I have run into the same issue with a networked 2840 All-in-One!  The client wants to upgrade their machines to Win7-64 and it looks like the 2840 will not support network scanning either, based on reading the cries of owners on the forum!  At least I knew to check this out BEFORE the upgrade rather than being surprised again.

One more time: disgusting.

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 69 of 92 (14,942 Views)

No, I have not seen anything from HP to verify what I was told. According to the representative I talked to, I was told that it was an engineering document that development on the 3390 software was frozen. It would be nice to have physical proof of this. I am still dissapointed over the whole situation. Especially over the fact that I've been dragged through hell with HP's support for over 8 months now trying to get an answer.

-John Fulton

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 70 of 92 (14,796 Views)

I think I'll open another ticket to see if I can get a copy or link to the bulletin that states that the 3390 development is frozen. Doesn't hurt to rock the boat at this venture..

-john

Occasional Visitor
cfbrook
Message 71 of 92 (15,799 Views)

Truly a sad story.  I too have the 3390 and am running Win7 64-bit.  The 3390 worked really well with my XP machine, has all the functionality I need and want - truly perfect.  Now I have to get rid of the 3390 so I can get scanning capability back because of poor driver support from HP. 

I tried chatting with tech support today to try and resolve this issue and this is what they told me:

"I am sorry to inform you that according to the serial number, the warranty for the support has expired. However, we do have options available to assist you:

1. We have pay for support option; there would be a fee of $39 which would covers the software and hardware that come with the unit.
2. Self help links could be provided to help you. And
3. You may take the unit to the Authorized service provider."

After reading that there is no fix for for the 3390 AIO for Win7 64-bit on this thread, I am insulted that they were not henest with me.  On top of that, to ask that I pay $39 for a response of "we do not support Win 64-bit" is infuriating.

In the quest for more money, HP will attempt to scam money from its customers while spreading eWaste around the planet.

Occasional Visitor
Summit_HDTV
Message 72 of 92 (15,776 Views)

Hello All,

Thanks to all the posters on this thread.

I have Windows 7/32 bit on a Lenovo laptop computer and a Deskjet 3390 AIO, and it's been a nightmare to get the new laptop working with this printer.  I only had only basic printing capability (USB, no network, no scanning - even from Windows built-in scanning/faxing capability) and nothing else.  My XP desktop was of course working fine with this AIO.

Running the HP recommended Windows 7 procedure to the letter (link provided earlier in the thread) didn't work.  No new capability was added.  There were a couple posts earlier in this thread about methods to get this printer working under Win 7/32 bit.  I'm happy to report I did get the install to work, or maybe I just got lucky.

The procedure is:

• Download the latest driver from HP (3390 Full install) and unpack
  • Change compatibility of the four files to Vista/SP2 as per the HP recommendation/workaround
  • Make sure your Win 7 login account is Administrator
  • Run CMD (right click and run command line box as Administrator)
  • Change directory to the setup files to where they were unpacked (be ready for a long directory name)
  • Run Autorun

The install should go as normal

I did need to do a software uninstall before it would allow me to (re)install the software.

After install network printing is okay, network and wireless printing is okay, network and wireless scanning is okay.

This was much more difficult than it should be.  I wish HP placed more resources into supporting this product with Windows 7.

Regards,

Joe

Occasional Visitor
johnmpolli
Message 73 of 92 (15,389 Views)

Joe

Your instructions were very clear, but I must be doing something wrong.  I did the full download, made the compatibility changes, "tried the cmd administrator"-not sure correctly, but I am the admin on my machine.

I start the autorun and I get the HP 3390...screen telling me to hit "install" but the only but is "exit"

Any ideas? 

Occasional Advisor
Calvin Christensen
Message 74 of 92 (15,384 Views)

I just returned to see if there had been any new (better) developments from HP re: using the 3390 AIO with Win 7 & 64-bit.  Apparently not.  

It seems that HP provides software support for its products and tries to satisfy its customers for no more than the duration of the 1-year limited warranty.  While I thought I was investing in an AIO that would be good for several years, I guess HP thought it was selling me just the housing to be disposed of along with the empty toner cartridge.    

WEG
Occasional Visitor
WEG
Message 75 of 92 (14,764 Views)

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  See my June 4, 2014 post.

My 3390 scanner seems to be working OK now.

I had to download and install software from the Microsoft site to allow me to run my new Windows 7 box in 32-bit XP mode. This creates a "virtual" XP machine on the Windows 7 box.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Then, I had to download a full set of 3390 drivers from HP, and install those drivers on the virtual XP.

"HP LaserJet 3050/3052/3055/3390/3392 PCL6 Plug and Play Scan/Print Driver Package"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1140788&...

Then I had to install Adobe Acrobat 9 (full version - I own the disk) on the virtual XP. This same disk was already installed on the Windows 7 system, and it scanned slower than a calendar. So far, I haven't gotten a nastygram from Adobe for installing their product twice.

Now, running in the virtual XP mode, the Adobe scan-function seems back to the speed I was used to before I was stupid enough to buy a new computer with this PITA Windows 7 on it.

Having said all that, I probably jinxed myself and everything will run like crap as soon as I hit the "post" button here.

Good luck, and drink heavily.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.