HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7 (43173 Views)
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 26 of 92 (12,254 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7

Joseph, that's a great link. Unfortunately what scares me is the Note:

"The LaserJet 3050/3052/3055/3390/3392 is fully supported in Windows 7 32 bit Operating Systems only."

I wonder if that pertains to this article only, or if that's a general statement about the printers overall that they'll never be fully support in the 64-bit OS.

At this point I just wish we could get someone to give us an answer. Are they? Aren't they? and when.....

-john
Occasional Advisor
Marek Lewandowski
Message 27 of 92 (12,254 Views)

I do all according instruction from Joseph Mirabile. Scanner still not working. It send me information â Please put new page to automatic feeder and start new scanâ After this program is stopped. I try also wit switch off firewall. System is Windows 7 PL Home Premium, laptop Toshiba.
Occasional Advisor
Marek Lewandowski
Message 28 of 92 (12,254 Views)

Now scanner by net is working. I did:
1. Remove all program from HP 3390
2. Install full program from printer HP M27272nf Win 7 version.
3. Install full program from printer Hp 3390 vista 32 version.
Marek
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 29 of 92 (12,254 Views)

Why did you install M27272nf drivers? Do you have that device?
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 30 of 92 (12,254 Views)

Marek, have you gotten any of this running on 64-bit? Or is this all in Win7 32-bit systems?

-john
Occasional Advisor
Marek Lewandowski
Message 31 of 92 (11,317 Views)

All was done on Windows 7 32 bit.

Yes, in different office in our company we have M2727 priter.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 32 of 92 (11,317 Views)

Marek, I mean to ask if you installed the M2727 as part of your fixing the 3390 problem or was that just a coincidence?
Occasional Advisor
Marek Lewandowski
Message 33 of 92 (11,317 Views)

It was a part of fix the problem. Printer M2727 looks like new version of 3390. My thinks was that also internal parts are very similar :). In first step I try install driver of M2727 and change only address of printer and printer host. This solution donâ t give me good result. :)
Marek
Occasional Visitor
Angelos Tsalamandris
Message 34 of 92 (11,317 Views)

I too have this issue running Win7 64bit.
Occasional Visitor
Jamesb_2
Message 35 of 92 (11,317 Views)

Hi all, I've been working on this all day for my CEO who need the scan over network function. I finally got it to work as it used to on XP so I thought I'd share...
Hopefully this will help anyone on W7 32bit.
These are the steps I took:
Updated the firmware on the printer.
Downloaded 'hp_LJ3050-3052-3055-3390-3392_Full_Solution_v3.zip' (notice the v3! this is a different driver to normal). Just google the file name and download from the 'www.myotherdrive.com' link.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED IN AS LOCAL ADMIN.
(Normal admin rights just don't seem to work as mentioned in an above comment.)
Extracted the install files.
Right click on each executable and make sure the compatibility mode is checked for XP sp3.
Go to CMD and browse to the extracted files.
Type in autorun.exe and follow the setup to the end.
Hopefully I've not forgotten anything.
Good luck!
My CEO is a happy man and can now scan to PDF. Happy days!
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 36 of 92 (11,328 Views)

I want to let you know that I tried the procedures on Windows 7 64-bit and was unsuccesful. The setup went all the way through using both James's and HP's workarounds, but after they are done Windows Devices and Printers does not show the scanner and can't find one when trying to discover.

Marek: How did you install the M2727 without it being connected? Could you see the other office's printer at the time? The setup program will not let me get past that point if one is not found.

My client and I have spent enough time and money on this ... he is going to give the 3390 away and get another AIO! Hopefully non-HP. The HP bulletin I posted makes it pretty clear that they have said their final words on this and will not be supporting 64-bit, ever.
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 37 of 92 (11,328 Views)

I have sent in another support e-mail with HP concerning whether 64-bit will ever be developed for these printers. Here's the support e-mail I sent:

-------------

I have had several tickets open on my Laserjet 3390 in regards to Windows 7 64-bit support. I have been told repeatedly that development for those drivers was in progress and to sign up for driver notification. I have done so. I have also called, and chatted with several representatives that have reiterated that support was under development. I have now received an e-mail from HP with the following bulletin link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02096212&dimid=1006615958&di...

According to the page, "Products are supported in Windows 7 32 bit Operating Systems only."

Does this mean that the solution in this bulletin is only for 32-bit Windows 7? Or that the printers listed in this bulletin will only ever be supported under 32-bit Windows 7?

We have a forum thread on this at:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1390382

Can I get an answer as to if 64-bit support will be coming out for this product? Or maybe have a support representative answer that in the forum question? That would be very appreciative so we all know whether or not to keep waiting for a solution or if we need to buy a new product.

Thank you

----------

Hopefully we'll get a favorable response. I would like to at least get a yes/no answer because I hate this waiting/guessing game.

-john
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 38 of 92 (11,328 Views)

Welp, I finally got a reply.. It was a canned response:
-----------------------
Hello John,
Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

Please refer to the following link to download the driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=4157320&locale=en_US&...

Please be informed that currently only the print drivers for your printer compatible with the Windows 7 is available for download from the HP Support web page. This driver would be compatible with your printer and support basic printing functionality.

The scan driver can be accessed from the Microsoft Windows Fax and Scan application, or other installed scan compliant applications. This will provide basic scan feature.

You can refer to our HP support document available in the support web page for detailed information on the following:

* USB and Network Installations via the Add Printer Wizard/Windows Update in Windows 7:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01900539

* Installing the Product with the USB Cable and Using the Driver Located in the Windows 7 Operating System:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01796736

NOTE: If the URL above does not work directly, copy and paste it into the address bar of a web browser.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
-----------------------
I'll try another ticket and be MORE specific about network scanning and scanning above 600dpi and see what happens.

Does anyone care anymore? Or am I the only one? Or am I just beating a dead horse?

John Fulton
Anchorage, AK
Occasional Visitor
Luke Holmes
Message 39 of 92 (11,328 Views)

i think this is great, glad some people are still active with these network and scanning needs. id hate to see myself amoung others just toss this nice AIO machine out the window only because it functions just as a printer now. keep up the good work. looking forward to anymore information HP can spew out regarding windows 7 32/64 driver updates
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 40 of 92 (11,328 Views)

John, I do care even though my client has gone ahead and purchased an M2727 to replace the 3390. I do not want to let HP off the hook on this. Their response is infuriating as usual!

They do not mention 64-bit or NETWORK scanning at all. Are we supposed to assume answers based on what they DON'T say? It's ridiculous. They have not clarified the situation one bit!
Occasional Advisor
Calvin Christensen
Message 41 of 92 (12,011 Views)

I have not been able to scan with my 3390 using an HP laptop purchased last year that was upgraded using the HP-provided upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate w/64 bit. Since upgrading none of the media smart functions have worked (error code on installing driver). Printing on the 3390 is fine but using the Windows Fax and Scan (or anything else) just stalls when trying to scan. Preview is fine, but scanning doesn't work. I am using direct USB connection; not network. HP has been no help. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 42 of 92 (12,011 Views)

My response to HP:

The question wasn't about the supported drivers in Windows 7. It revolves around the HP drivers that are supplied on the Install CD that support Network Scanning and scanning above 600dpi. The printer is physically capable of 1200dpi, but the supplied driver for Windows 7 64-bit only does 600. Plus the advanced twain features are not present. Secondly, network scanning no longer works. I have reiterated this time and again in ticket after ticket. And have supplied the links below with specific questions.

Can I please get something besides the canned response?

Thank you

John Fulton
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 43 of 92 (12,011 Views)

Their Response:

Hello John,

On reviewing your e-mail, we understand that you have a HP LaserJet 3390 printer and you wish to get the scan software for the printer.

Currently, a full-solution driver which includes the HP toolbox, scan and fax options is not available for your product. HP aspires to provide the most up-to-date information on HP drivers and software.

Please fill in the form at the URL given below, once the complete software and drivers are updated on our website an automatically generated e-mail will be sent to you, after which you may use the HP toolbox, scan and fax options of the printer.

https://h30046.www3.hp.com/subprofile.php?SUBSCRIPTION=DRIVERSIGNUP&regioncode=NA&langcode=USENG&jum...

Please contact us back if you have any further issues.

Kind Regards,
Alok
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 44 of 92 (12,011 Views)

So, it's another canned response. The engineer, Alok, did not the whole e-mail chain. I was silly to assume so. So I have replied back with the following:
----
Alok, You did not read the whole original message and answer my questions.

I kept track of my original message and repost it in this e-mail. Can I please get an answer to the questions contained within?
----
And then I reposted the original message above into the e-mail. Let's see if my e-mail ticket gets long enough that someone will actually take the time to properly answer our questions or will they close it..

-john
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 45 of 92 (12,005 Views)

After this last round of e-mail, here is the latest response with somewhat favorable results:

xxxxxx

Hello John,

Yes, you are correct the scanning software is under testing phase.

John, we do not have any information on the date of release of the software.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

Kind Regards,
Sebastian

xxxxxx

I will attempt to try to get a date from them.

-john

Occasional Advisor
Adam Conklin
Message 46 of 92 (11,971 Views)

John J Fulton wrote:
The WIA driver is the windows built-in driver that microsoft supplies. I opened a ticket with HP on this issue. They told me that they are currently developing new drivers for this model printer/scanner/fax, but have no ETA on their completion.

What I did was went to VMware at http://www.vmware.com and downloaded the free vmware player.

I made a Virtual computer installation of XP using the vmware player and have the network scanning once again working in the virtual XP workspace. From there I have a network share made on my Windows 7 system that I can copy the scanned image to.

-john

John, how did you get this working??  I've been fighting with it for the last several hours with no success of getting it working, XP SP3 32-bit installed in a VM window using the VMWare player, no matter what, network scanning is non-functional, and it not working is not an option for me.  Unfortunately I'm stuck in the same 7 64-bit trying to scan over the network boat as others here.

Occasional Advisor
Adam Conklin
Message 47 of 92 (11,949 Views)

Nevermind, I solved it.  Here's the fix I found in the VMWare forums, hopefully it'll help others as well:
Disable TCP Chimney on the host:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\DisableTaskOffload

Setting this value to 1 disables all task offloads from the TCP/IP transport. Setting this value to zero enables all task offloads

You have to manually create that DWORD value on the host OS (again, in this case, Windows 7 64-bit) and set it to 1 and reboot.  Using VMWare Player 3.0.1, Windows XP SP3 guest OS, 32-bit, bridged networking mode, HP full solution driver 4.0, I can finally scan over the network.

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 48 of 92 (11,880 Views)

Here is the latest from HP. They are talking about working with Microsoft on the certification process. If that is indeed the case, then the solution might be close at hand......

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hello John,

Thank you for responding to our message and providing the requested information. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

In order to scan from the printer and access HP Toolbox , you need to install the complete software on the computer. Since the complete software is not available you will not be able to scan from the computer.

Currently, full printing software of HP LaserJet printers is not available for the Windows 7, we are working with Microsoft and the full printing software will be available at the earliest. HP expects to complete the certification process for applicable software very soon.

HP is committed to providing the best experience for HP products in the Windows Vista operating environment.

However, if you wish you may try installing the printer driver to print from the printer.

HP aspires to provide the most up-to-date information on HP drivers and software. Please check back soon for updates. We suggest that you subscribe for the alerts from the following HP URL that provides you alerts and updates:

https://h30046.www3.hp.com/subchoice/subscribe.aspx?SUBSCRIPTION=DRIVERSIGNUP&regioncode=NA&langcode...

If you have any other queries, please feel free to get back to us and we would be glad to be of assistance.

Kind Regards,
Nadia

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Occasional Visitor
Rooter
Message 49 of 92 (11,545 Views)

The compatibility setting trick allowed me to initially install the complete application package, but for some unknown reason, scanning stopped working. Neither WIA or TWAIN would work anymore. I tried many, MANY re-installations as Administrator, etc.--all to no avail.

I finally tried this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

..I ran it in XP SP3 compatibility mode, it found my network-attached 3390, and it fixed my problem!

Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 50 of 92 (11,389 Views)

rooter, are you using Windows 7 in 32-bit or 64-bit mode?

-john

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.