Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7 (3239 Views)
Occasional Visitor
fkarno
Message 76 of 92 (8,312 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I also have an HP3390 which is hooked up to a home network, with my main computer being a newish Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate / 64 bit. You would expect that any piece of mainstream kit would work with this set-up, but the HP3390 will still not scan over the network. I have tried every solution mentioned, and in desperation I am about to hook up a separate scanner.

HP until recently had a reputation for producing dependable work-horse gear and from reading this thread it seems clear that I am not the only one to think so. What is it that drives such a company to refuse to deal with a simple problem, repeatedly lie to its customers, and as a result have on its own website and under its own banner, a thread where regular but powerless clients can do nothing but slag off the company? Can anyone think of a more counter-productive attitude?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MonsterPoodle
Message 77 of 92 (7,067 Views)

Thanks everyone for all your comments and efforts. I recently upgraded from Vista to Win 7 64-bit and your threads saved me hours of effort. I know now not to waste my time on this problem and use my Cannon printer for network scanning instead.

Thanks again, Mark

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Richard Dolbeare
Message 78 of 92 (6,775 Views)

I have had many issues with scanning on 3 different HP all-in-one printers.  This consumed days of my time over a period of 2 years when I was sure it must be something simple I was overlooking.  The final resolution, 2 years later, was to use the WIA interface (instead of TWAIN) which bypassed the nasty HP software.  I concluded back then that I must never buy any more HP products and surely those of you in this thread are coming to the same conclusion.

My latest laptop (running Windows 7-64 bit) is a Samsung, one of the few laptops at Costco other than HP.  Of course it won't recognize my HP 3390 scanner at all.  For printers, all future ones will be something other than HP for obvious reasons.  For now, I'm continuing to do well with my years-old Xerox Papermate 510 scanner which doesn't much care what operating system I upgrade to.  

My recommendation is to do yourself a huge favor and give it up when it comes to HP products.  Because of their huge market share, that won't bother HP but it will certainly save you years of frustration.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 79 of 92 (5,631 Views)

This is the FIRST time I have ever seen HP admit IN WRITING (maybe even verbally too) to no network scanning under Windows 7 64-bit!  How many years later??

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03089418&jumpid=em_alerts_us...

If they put this out in 2009 I bet we all would have saved thousands of hours banging our heads against the wall!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SONIA MELENDEZ-COLOM
Message 80 of 92 (3,906 Views)

I know it has been a while but TODAY (October 8, 2012), I finally found an application that I can use in my Toshiba Laptop, running W7/64, that will recognize my 3390 as a scanner. It is true that I need to use it connected through an USB port, but at this point, I do not care. I bought Vuescan from Hamrick Software (http://www.hamrick.com). You can download it for free, install it, and make sure it works, and then buy it. If you do not buy it, you may scan, but all your scans come out with a watermark.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
firegriff
Message 81 of 92 (3,619 Views)

I am looking at a Xerox 3325 similar in cost and functions and appers to have windows 7 certification.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ljmdance
Message 82 of 92 (3,259 Views)

Hey, Jack,   I'm new to this thread stuff. Did you ever hear from anyone about your idea? I'm beside myself, because I need ALL the features of my LJ3390 to function. I'm about ready to buy the upgrade from Win7 Home Premium (64bit) to Win7 Pro to try running it in WinXP mode, but would love to know first if that worked for anyone.  Thanks a million.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 83 of 92 (3,239 Views)

‎04-16-2010 12:53 PM
Well, I had a on-line chat session with an HP rep named Sarah J. She wanted to charge me $25 for a support question at first, but she relented and answered my question to the best that she could about new drivers.

She said that they are under development and there is no ETA.

I'm beginning to wonder if they really are doing any development at all.....

-john

In 2010 there were supposed to be some new drivers in development for the 3390 and presumably the other machines in this series, the 3050, 3052 and the 3392, Are we going to get some new drivers? Has anyone heard anything from HP?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 84 of 92 (3,226 Views)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 85 of 92 (3,196 Views)

[ Edited ]

Rick Isenberg has said it very well:

As an HP shareholder, I find it very disappointing every time I look to HP for support on anything that isn't brand new. I still use an HP 4L printer that I bought probably 15 years ago. I don't expect it to have Windows 7 drivers, but I do for the 3330. Printing only is not an option.

It is not surprising to see now that decisions that have been made at HP are having a direct effect on the bottom line performance of the company. The consumer that has to go out and re-purchase equipment due to lousy software and driver support, is going to be much less likely to come back to HP. They are voting with their wallets. Which would you rather spend your next $300 to $500 on, a replacement printer, a new phone, or a flat screen TV? Over the life of my LaserJet 3050. I have spent close to $1,500 on toner that probably has a 2 markup on it at the store. Surely, we deserve better than we are getting.

HP runs the risk of becoming irrelevant in the marketplace unless they re-state their engineering and support policy. A longer view is what's needed. Software and drivers need to be tested and revised on equipment for at least 5-7 years after the date of last sale. We should expect the same from HP equipment as any other product. I can even still get parts at the dealer for my 20 year old Mercedes!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BDSolomon
Message 86 of 92 (2,438 Views)

I have had (and still have) a number of HP printers.  I never envisioned that when I got a new computer with Win7/64 that they would not have drivers.

When I found out that they had nothing and no intentions of changing that, I DID try their recommended Vista emulation.  I changed the emulation for the 4 programs, and was able to run the install program... at which point it gave me exactly one menu option: exit.  So I gave up.

I DO have 2 HPs on my home network - a Laserjet 4000 (with a print server) and an OfficeJet Pro 8500.  But I now also have an Epson Workforce Pro 4530.  And I have a disconnected HP LJ 3390 on the floor.  Works fine, just no longer compatible.

HP used to be the automatic answer.  Between dropping all support for 3390, and poor second tray handling on the OJ Pro 8600 (which I had also considered), they are now just someone else to consider.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BuyRicoh
Message 87 of 92 (2,366 Views)

I have read the entire thread for this problem as I to have the same HP3390, and also have an HP CM1017mfp with both printers having the same scanning issues. Both of these printers/scanners were acquired and did not pay for them, but am experiencing the same frustration by many. I am a service tech who has worked with many manufactures, but would highly recommend the Ricoh Products. I have worked with them and find them very easy to network and set up scanning features. So save the headache and don't by Hp products. I was never happy with there support as a technician and would not put up with it as a customer.

Good Luck to all!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DocumentRunr
Message 88 of 92 (2,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

In order to get the necessary change in engineering and support for our scanning drivers, it is very important that as much as possible everyone takes their comments to media sources outside of HP. It's too easy for HP just to have us here saying the same thing over and over again in their own space. See and please comment on:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hewlett-packard-company-palo-alto

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
vivekghai
Message 89 of 92 (1,873 Views)

It clearly says only works with Windows 7 32 bit.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 90 of 92 (1,865 Views)

Maybe it says that NOW, but that information was not shared four years ago when we all wasted hundreds of man hours on this problem.

Check dates before posting. Why would so many people participate in this thread if it simply "clearly says" Win7-32? Use your head!

Please use plain text.
WEG
Occasional Visitor
WEG
Message 91 of 92 (822 Views)

Possible solution:

I realize that the 3390  is probably not used by many folks these days.

However, I still have TWO of them, and they are connected to two different PC's at two different sites.

By complete happenstance, I discovered that if I have GOOGLE CHROME opened as an application when I open Adobe Acrobat for scanning, that the scanner runs as fast as it did before Windows 7 buried the scanner to its knees in mollasses. I thought it might just be a fluke on the first computuer, but I've been using that tactic of open-Chrome-first for a couple months now, and it works consistently.

I just installed Chrome on the second PC, and I tried the same test. It works great!

I hope this helps somebody else who still is suffering with slow scanning on the 3390.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 92 of 92 (819 Views)

Interesting (and weird). I suppose it has no effect on network scanning under Windows 7 x64 though? Sounds like you are not using it that way. I still have a customer with one of these collecting dust.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation