Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7 (36216 Views)
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 1 of 92 (43,528 Views)

HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7

The scanning capabilities under Windows 7 using the WIA driver are missing 2 major functions compared to the HP driver for XP for the 3390.

1) You cannot scan via network now. I've had to rearrange my home office to put the printer within USB range. Kinda defeats the purpose of the ethernet port...

2) You can no longer scan at 1200 dpi. It only allows up to 600 dpi now. That's a MAJOR problem for me.

3) (had to add a 3) The tweaks available in the xp twain driver are gone. You now have to scan it in and manipulate the scanned image afterwards.

I have been unable to find anything about if HP is going to update the driver for this printer. I don't even care if I had to buy a new software cd for it. I just need my pre-windows 7 functionality back. It's too bad you cannot buy a new system with Windows XP anymore....
Occasional Visitor
Dmitry Vlasov
Message 2 of 92 (43,528 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3390 Scanning under Windows 7

Hello, i have problemm with scanner 3390. When will appear the driver for the scanner under windows 7 ?
Occasional Visitor
Jeffrey Van Schaick
Message 3 of 92 (43,528 Views)

Excuse my ignorance. What is a WIA driver and where do you get it?
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 4 of 92 (43,528 Views)

The WIA driver is the windows built-in driver that microsoft supplies. I opened a ticket with HP on this issue. They told me that they are currently developing new drivers for this model printer/scanner/fax, but have no ETA on their completion.

What I did was went to VMware at http://www.vmware.com and downloaded the free vmware player.

I made a Virtual computer installation of XP using the vmware player and have the network scanning once again working in the virtual XP workspace. From there I have a network share made on my Windows 7 system that I can copy the scanned image to.

-john
Occasional Visitor
Jeffrey Van Schaick
Message 5 of 92 (43,528 Views)

Great, thanks John! And thanks for the speedy reply.
Occasional Visitor
Rick Isenberg
Message 6 of 92 (43,528 Views)

John:

I'd be interested in learning more detail on what you did with the VMWare. I have an HP3330 mfp and want to be able to scan and fax.

As an HP shareholder, I find it very disappointing every time I look to HP for support on anything that isn't brand new. I still use an HP 4L printer that I bought probably 15 years ago. I don't expect it to have Windows 7 drivers, but I do for the 3330. Printing only is not an option.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 7 of 92 (43,528 Views)

Is there any movement by HP on this yet? My client has upgraded to Windows 7 and is screaming that they can't network scan anymore.

Before upgrading them I checked on availability of drivers for the 3390 and told them all was OK, but didn't know they were only for PRINT!

I don't think the VMWare solution would help because they need the HP scan function that scans to PDF and opens a new email message (Outlook) with it attached. Am I wrong?
Occasional Visitor
sgjohnston
Message 8 of 92 (43,528 Views)

I successfully installed the Vista full software solution CD under Windows 7. You have to enable and log in as Administrator (just running the installer as Administrator from an Administrator-privileged account is not enough, you must actually log in as Administrator for some reason). It installs in the same clunky way as for Windows XP and Vista, then appears to work fine. I would feel happier if there was a correct Windows 7 version, though, especially since I used to work for the group in HP that develops the low-end LaserJet software!
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 9 of 92 (43,528 Views)

sgjohnston, the problem is not installing the software under Windows 7 ... it's that you can no longer SCAN over the network with HP's software under Windows 7.

I'm curious, does anyone from HP ever post on these forums?
Occasional Visitor
sgjohnston
Message 10 of 92 (43,528 Views)

Once installed on Windows 7, network scanning works fine for me. The reason I elaborated on the installation was that it didn't work as it should (hence having to log in as Administrator first). However, once installed, I have had no problems using all of the features of the software (OK, I've only really tried printing and scanning, but I have scanned a fair number of images), over the network.
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 11 of 92 (36,155 Views)

That's interesting. But the driver download page does not offer any full software solution for Vista/64-bit nor Win7/64-bit. Are you running 32-bit?
Occasional Visitor
sgjohnston
Message 12 of 92 (36,155 Views)

Yes, 32-bit. I haven't tried 64-bit.
Occasional Visitor
sgjohnston
Message 13 of 92 (36,155 Views)

A further update... we were installing on another Windows 7 system today, and there is an additional step required, that I did not remember: you must launch the installer from a command prompt (otherwise the installer fails with some garbage about not being able to 'run-as'). So the full process required is:

1. Download the Vista full CD image.
2. Enable the Administrator account, if not enabled, and log in as Administrator.
3. Start a command prompt.
4. Run the installer. (we actually ran the installer first from Windows, which unpacked it, then ran the setup executable from the unpacked files in the command prompt).

Hopefully they will release a proper Windows 7 CD at some point...

Stuart
Occasional Visitor
JJ DE KOCK
Message 14 of 92 (36,155 Views)

I have a laserjet 3030 multi-function and in its scanning mode it can only scan in "photo"-mode, i.e. j.peg, bitmap. tiff. etcetara. I want to scan in pdf.format.
Another problem is it will not scan a multiple page document as one document in j.peg-mode - it is scanning each page as a seperate j.peg file. It is most frustrating - especially if you scan a 40 page document - you end up with 40 seperate files!! Can anyone help?
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 15 of 92 (36,155 Views)

JJ DE KOCK, please start a new thread on your printer issue and don't hijack this one. This one is for driver issues with the 3390 under Windows 7 64-bit.

Thank you

-john
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 16 of 92 (36,155 Views)

A few un-developments with HP here.

Firstly, another driver problem I found. I can no longer use the duplex option of the printer when printing. I never noticed that before, but the MS driver in Windows 7 64-bit does not have a duplex option.

Secondly, I have been attempting to get answers from HP using their e-mail support mechanism. The first 2 times I tried, I got a canned response back that "We are working on it, please subscribe to the driver notification". Which I have done and in almost a year now of Windows 7 being live, I have heard NOTHING from HP on this subject. On the 3rd e-mail from them, I got back "according to our records, your printer's serial number is no longer under warranty" and they refuse to answer any questions about driver support for the printer now without me paying for a support incident.

There's the wonderful customer support we've grown to love.

-john
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 17 of 92 (36,155 Views)

John, I have had the duplexing problem on another HP model after upgrading to Windows 7. The duplexing option disappeared. You have to go into the advanced settings screen of the driver (the screen that looks like a list of features) and tell it there is duplexing available.

On the other issue, I have been waiting for notification for 2 YEARS from hp for the 3390 driver on a previous problem, pre-Windows 7. They told me at the time that there would be a resolution in a future version. Still waiting!
Occasional Visitor
JJ DE KOCK
Message 18 of 92 (36,155 Views)

John,
Sorry, I am new to this sort of communication and is desperate for help. I will start afresh. Good-bye
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 19 of 92 (36,155 Views)

Well, I had a on-line chat session with an HP rep named Sarah J. She wanted to charge me $25 for a support question at first, but she relented and answered my question to the best that she could about new drivers.

She said that they are under development and there is no ETA.

I'm beginning to wonder if they really are doing any development at all.....

-john
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 20 of 92 (36,155 Views)

Thank you Joeseph, I didn't dig deep enough into the duplex option. It works fine now. Surprising that Windows 7 drivers can't auto-detect the duplexer whereas XP's drivers could....

-john
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 21 of 92 (36,216 Views)

That's Joseph (or Joe for short :)

Did they mention network scanning in particular, or just network printing support in the new driver? A driver only, or 'full solution' package?
Frequent Advisor
John J Fulton
Message 22 of 92 (36,216 Views)

Sorry about that Joe, Joseph is my middle name so you think I'd be able to spell it right :) Have to watch my typing closer...

She did not specify, just said that software was under development, so I am assuming the full software package.

-john
Occasional Visitor
Luke Holmes
Message 23 of 92 (36,216 Views)

i have two of these machines, and need them both as network scanners. this machine is the only thing slowing my change over to windows 7 for the office. last year i couldn't even find threads about this issue. its nice to see this being discussed in thread. i will be trying that vista full solution, admin install thing come next week. keep up the good work guys. hope HP developers are reading this
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 24 of 92 (36,216 Views)

Luke, please let us know what happens next week, good or bad. I have not gone back to the client's office to try that yet. I will wait to hear from you!
Advisor
Joe Mirabile
Message 25 of 92 (36,216 Views)

Did everyone get this notification from HP on a workaround for using the 3390 under 7?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02096212&dimid=1006615958&di...

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.