Re: HP LaserJet 3380 scanner not working (1900 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Anders Bertilsson
Message 1 of 21 (9,740 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet 3380 scanner not working

The scanner of my HP LaserJet 3380 is no longer working. When I power on the laserjet, the scanner makes a funny noise as if it is trying to "rewind" some part of the scanner that stuck. Ultimately, there's an error displayed on the small laserjet screen that says, "scanner error * power off, power on ". The rest of the laserjet works fine, though.
Advisor
paul chen
Message 2 of 21 (9,740 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3380 scanner not working

The scanner unit need to be serviced.
you need to access to the scanner unit by removing the top part of the machine. All the lenses in the scanner unit need to do a pecfect cleaning in order to get it to work again.
HP Pro
Raghu K   Russel
Message 3 of 21 (9,740 Views)

Hi Anders...

the issue is with the flatbed scanner assembly... you need to replace the flatbed scanner assembly...
Thank you!

I am an HP Employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 21 (9,740 Views)

Time out here. I have and other people have fixed many of these with a simple trick which works 75% of the time. Turn off the unit. Raise the ADF and on the left side is a small strip of glass covered by a small plastic piece held in place by one screw. Remove the screw and then remove the glass. Now take a needle nose pliers and carefully move the belt in the back thru the opening where the glass was located to move the scanner from the right to the left. Just move it a little at a time. When the scanner is almost over the opening use your fingernail to move it the rest of the way. Now look down and you will see a mirror. It may not appear to be dirty but usually there is a fine film over it which prevents the scanner from calibrating and giving you the error. Now take a dry q tip and clean the mirror and do it a couple of times. When done move the scanner to the right using your fingernail and then the pliers on the belt to get it all the way back. Now do not put the glass back on yet. Plug in the unit and see if it comes to ready. If it does put the glass and cover back on and you are ready to go. If it does not come to ready and you have the same error, do the procedure one more time. Good Luck.
Occasional Contributor
Anders Bertilsson
Message 5 of 21 (9,740 Views)

Dear DavidZuts,

Your suggestion did the trick! I'm very thankful because I was about to through the damn thing out or atleast buy a new scanner. Thank you very much for saving a lot of money with your terrific help!

Best Regards,
A. B.
Frequent Advisor
Kim Cilo cilo
Message 6 of 21 (9,740 Views)

If after fixing and cleaning all the mirror reflectors and giving the same noise problem, its required to replace the whole scanner unit assembly.
Occasional Visitor
MISTERPC
Message 7 of 21 (9,740 Views)

I had this same issue where the scanner made noises and continued to go back.

I pulled apart the scanner and cleaned the glass and this resolved the issue.

On the back of the scanner glass there is a homing area so the scanner knows where to stop. The scanner is about 5 years old, so just the glass just got a tad mucky underneath over time.
Occasional Visitor
ccwong
Message 8 of 21 (9,647 Views)

Dear DavidZuts,

Your solution works! Thank you very much! It sounds so technical but actually not, few of us in office without any IT technical experience did it!

Thansk & Regards,
CC

Occasional Visitor
LizTGL
Message 9 of 21 (8,727 Views)

Thanks for that.  The error was driving me crazy.  I went down the rabbit hole with the "computer must always be on" solution -- it was dirt on the mirror, 3 dirty Qtips.

Occasional Visitor
SAMetal
Message 10 of 21 (7,998 Views)

Davidzuts your fix although a few years old now works a treat, my HP3380 would nearly be as ancient as yours but the issue only presented itself a week ago on my unit, probably a lot to do with always having it covered unless in use. Although the needle nose pliers would work if gripped too hard they may well damage the toothed belt, I just used my fingers. Once the clean up was done I just used a flexible pusher (eg plastic ruler) to move he carriage back to a mid position as when I turned the unit on the carriage moved to the home position on its own. It is a shame that there is no easy way of removing the main glass for cleaning. Additional faults that were also fixed by the mirror clean was faint poor quality printing on both incoming faxes and outgoing printed documents, which are now all clean and crisp, Geat product feedback thanks  

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 21 (7,993 Views)

Glad it worked.

Occasional Visitor
kesisk
Message 12 of 21 (7,943 Views)

Wow - you are genius! I just did what you said (after having this problem "fixed" twice already with a printer repair place) and it worked! To think I spent $150 and that is probably all they did as well - thanks again, you made my day!

Advisor
JamesJames
Message 13 of 21 (6,391 Views)

DavidZuts - You are amazing! Your solution worked again! 

LDA
Occasional Visitor
LDA
Message 14 of 21 (6,168 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks to DavidZuts your solution worked again in 2012!

Occasional Visitor
hamchoi714
Message 15 of 21 (5,915 Views)

it works!!!

thanks very much

Occasional Visitor
bmwfreq
Message 16 of 21 (4,495 Views)

Thank you for taking the time to post these instruction on how to fix the HP LaserJet Fax/Printer.  As per your instruction, our machine (HP LaserJet 3380) is now alive and functioning again.  

Thank you for your post, and to all who may have this issue, this procedure worked perfectly.

Cheers!!!

Occasional Visitor
dooie55
Message 17 of 21 (1,927 Views)

I used the fix posted and my scanner now works GREAT!!!

Thanks for the easy solution. The mirror was just dirty and cleaning it solved my problem.

You saved me lots of time and money. Glad my old laserjet 3380 is still working well.

Occasional Visitor
dooie55
Message 18 of 21 (1,926 Views)

David Zuts is my HERO for the week!!!
Scanner now working perfectly.
Occasional Visitor
Stingerco
Message 19 of 21 (1,900 Views)

Thank you for these instructions!  Works perfectly!  I just used one small variation.  Once I had the mirror exposed, I took a Moistened Eye Glass cleaner (the type you can get in any drug store in the small packets to clean your eye glasses), folded it over the end of a 14" ruler, and holding the ruler with my fingers while also holding the folded pr-moistened eye glass cleaner, I lightly ran the end of the ruler up and down the mirror until the film was gone.  It only took a couple of passes.

It worked a treat.

Occasional Visitor
khernan7
Message 20 of 21 (1,756 Views)

Thank you for your wonderful suggestion DavidZuts. We have been struggling with our fax/scanner for 2 months now and with your suggested steps, it seems to be working like new again :)
Occasional Visitor
CMFSeattle
Message 21 of 21 (1,246 Views)

Thank you David! Taking machines apart is way not my comfort zone, but this was EASY, fast and cost exactly nothing. Everything is working great and I no longer want to toss the scanner out the window. :)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.