HP LaserJet 3380 / "Power On/Power Off" message (3526 Views)
Advisor
Joanne Batziotegos
Message 1 of 10 (3,526 Views)

HP LaserJet 3380 / "Power On/Power Off" message

[ Edited ]

I have been getting the "Power On/Power Off" message on the 3380 and as a result the scanner does not work.

I have received an answer as to the problem, however, there have been some questions pertaining to this anwer. Below, is the original answer/solution and the questions that followed in CAPS. If anyone can anwer the question(s), it would be of the greatest help. Many thanks for any assistance you can provide.
"Unplug the unit. Flip up the adf feeder so you have the scanner glass exposed. Now on the left side is a small plastic piece covering the small glass piece on the left. Remove the one (1) screw in the middle on the left side and remove that small plastic piece. Once removed you now remove the small glass piece."

THERE IS NO PLASTIC PIECE COVERING THE SMALL GLASS PIECE, ON THE LEFT, THAT YOU SPEAK OF. WHAT IS THERE IS A 9 1/2" LENGTH BY A 1 1/4" GLASS STRIP THAT IS HELD TOGETHER BY 3-SIDED PLASTIC 'THAT' THAT IN TURN IS HELD TOGETHER BY A SCREW. WHEN THAT SCREW IS REMOVED, THAT LEAVES THE REMAINING SCANNER GLASS, WHICH, AND THE BELT CAN ONLY BE REACHED ABOUT A 1/4 OF AN INCH. (CAN TOUCH IT BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT.) THIS SPACE CONSTRICTION MAKES IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MOVE THE BELT.

"...Look towards the rear in the opening and you will see the belt which drives the scanner unit. Use a needlenose pliers to move that belt a little at a time so the scanner moves to the left."

SAID BELT, ALSO IS KEPT IN PLACE BY PLASTIC EXTENSIONS AND IT DOES NOT MOVE; ALSO A BIT APPREHENSIVE TO FORCE IT TO MOVE AS IT MIGHT TEAR..ALTHOUGH THIS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE (?) AND MAKING THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW DIFFICULT TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH.

THE REST OF THE ANWER IS BELOW, BUT UNFORTUNATELY, I'M AT A STANDSTILL AS PER ABOVE.

"....Keep doing it until the scanner is just about over the opening and then use your fingernail to move it over the opening. Now look down and you will see the mirror. Sometimes it looks perfectly clean, but it is not as there is a clear film over it. Just use a DRY qtip to clean the surface of the mirror lens and do it a couple of times. When done move the scanner with your finger to the right and then use the belt with the needlenose pliers to move it to the right side again. Put the glass back on, then the plastic piece and screw. Lower the adf cover and plug the unit back in and keep your fingers crossed. It works 95% of the time. I have personally repaired over 50 of these over the years so I know what I am talking about. Trying to dismanatle the complete scanning unit is a waste of time and most times will cause something else to go wrong..."

P.S. This thread has been moved from Printers - LaserJet to Multifunction and All-in-One - HP forums Moderator

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 3380 / "Power On/Power Off" message

Joanne,

I have done over 50 of these and my instructions are correct. Make sure you have the power turned off and that belt will move. I just use a needle nose pliers and move it a little at a time. When you remove that screw that is a plastic cover that comes out and allows the glass to be removed. I think we are dealing with semantics here but just follow the instructions. I have recommend this procedure here and at other sites and everyone seems to have no trouble doing the repair.
Advisor
Joanne Batziotegos
Message 3 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Many thanks David,

I'm sure your instructions are correct yes, but as mentioned before there is no plastic cover on the scanner that you speak of. Assuming, of course that it is the scanning glass we are talking about.

Is the "small glass" piece you're talking about indeed the "9 1/2" LENGTH BY A 1 1/4" GLASS STRIP" as mentioned above?

That is is the only small, glass piece that I can find (again, looking at the scanner glass ) If so, when I remove that strip of glass I only have a 1 1/4 of space to put the hand through. Also, that belt does not move easily--I would have to force it and quite frankly if I do that, I may end up tearing the belt.

Another problem with the instructions are that even if I could move the belt to the left as you suggest there is no mirror within view. At least not on the left hand side where I could physically (however slight) reach in with the hand.

(I know this is a dumb question but could the 3380 be slightly different from other similar HP scanners?)

So therein lie some of the basic problems I'm having with the instructions (which believe me I've printed, outlined, etc.)

The way I'm getting around it now is by doing the following: with the printer shut off, I prompt the "Print" option from a document. I then immediately turn on the printer. Somehow----as the scanner is turning on---the "Print Document" option 'calibrates' the belt and the "Ready.." appears on the scanner display case. I can then scan. And as long as I *continually" keep scanning it will allow as many scans as possible. However, after the scanning has stopped and it is left for a prolonged amount of time, the "Scanner On/Off" comes back to the display case.

Joanne

Oct 16, 2008 23:26:53 GMT Unassigned
Joanne,

I have done over 50 of these and my instructions are correct. Make sure you have the power turned off and that belt will move. I just use a needle nose pliers and move it a little at a time. When you remove that screw that is a plastic cover that comes out and allows the glass to be removed. I think we are dealing with semantics here but just follow the instructions. I have recommend this procedure here and at other sites and everyone seems to have no trouble doing the repair.
Advisor
Joanne Batziotegos
Message 4 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Hi David,

I am sorry to bother you again but I was wondering if it's possible to get an answer to the questions mentioned in the previous e-mails? IS THAT GLASS PIECE YOU SPEAK OF INDEED THE 9 1/2 by 1/4 ? I know you have taken the time to write the instructions but I simply have a few questions regarding what you've written, but if you can let me know regarding, below, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Many thanks.

"THERE IS NO PLASTIC PIECE COVERING THE SMALL GLASS PIECE, ON THE LEFT, THAT YOU SPEAK OF. WHAT IS THERE IS A 9 1/2" LENGTH BY A 1 1/4" GLASS STRIP THAT IS HELD TOGETHER BY 3-SIDED PLASTIC 'THAT' THAT IN TURN IS HELD TOGETHER BY A SCREW. WHEN THAT SCREW IS REMOVED, THAT LEAVES THE REMAINING SCANNER GLASS, WHICH, AND THE BELT CAN ONLY BE REACHED ABOUT A 1/4 OF AN INCH. (CAN TOUCH IT BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT.) THIS SPACE CONSTRICTION MAKES IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MOVE THE BELT."

and....

"SAID BELT, ALSO IS KEPT IN PLACE BY PLASTIC EXTENSIONS AND IT DOES NOT MOVE; ALSO A BIT APPREHENSIVE TO FORCE IT TO MOVE AS IT MIGHT TEAR..ALTHOUGH THIS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE (?) AND MAKING THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW DIFFICULT TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH.

THE REST OF THE ANWER IS BELOW, BUT UNFORTUNATELY, I'M AT A STANDSTILL AS PER ABOVE."
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Joan,

You have had muliple posts and I answered this before. The glass is about 3/4" to 1" wide on the left side under the plastic cover with the 1 screw in the middle left. That said you have to have the power off and then just use a pliers to grab the belt and move it a little at a time so the scanning unit moves to the left. Not that hard to do.
Advisor
Joanne Batziotegos
Message 6 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Hi David,

Well, with all due respect I haven't received an answer at to the 2 questions above, so I thank you for letting me know now as to the size of the glass you speak of.

The piece of glass I'm looking at is the aforementioned 9" long not the 3/4" you mention and therein lies the problem. When I lift the scanner cover there is NO 3/4" "with a plastic" on top of it to speak of. Perhaps the machine you're referring to has a different construction (?)

When I lift the "ADF Input Tray" there is no 3/4 piece of glass with a plastic cover either.

Now the printer part of it is no longer working either. So I can't print at this point either making the entire 3380 inoperable. A nightmare.

Clearly asking follow-up questions to instructions is a bit tricky to get an answer on here as you're busy, but I thank you for your efforts nevertheless.

joanne

Joan,

You have had muliple posts and I answered this before. The glass is about 3/4" to 1" wide on the left side under the plastic cover with the 1 screw in the middle left. That said you have to have the power off and then just use a pliers to grab the belt and move it a little at a time so the scanning unit moves to the left. Not that hard to do.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Joanne this will be my last post. Attached is a picture which I think is a mirror image since the piece appears on the oposite site as where it should be, but is shows the plastic piece the screw and gives instructions. As I have said I have done this more times then I care to remember and everyone who has followed my instructions has never had an issue. It is not that hard and for the life of me I can not understand why you are having an issue doing it.
Advisor
Joanne Batziotegos
Message 8 of 10 (3,526 Views)

Hi David,

That scan is great, MANY thanks! I'm sorry to bother you like that but some of the instructions weren't exactly matching with the visual I had (i.e. the size of the glass is about three times longer and the plastic piece that was covering said glass is a three-sided thin frame) so this is great.

MANY, MANY THANKS for all your time and efforts, much appreciated!

Joanne

Occasional Visitor
Jan Humphreys
Message 9 of 10 (3,526 Views)

This fix worked great, I must say that the picture made everything understandable. Thank you for taking the time to make yourself understood. My unit is now operational because of your efforts.
Thank YOU...
Occasional Visitor
MCHAKOLA
Message 10 of 10 (3,173 Views)

I AM HAVING SAME PROBLEM DID YOU GET THE ISSUE RESOLV LATELY I HAVE TO MANY TECHNOLOGY ISSUES DONT KNOW WHY ??? PLEASE HELP MY HP 3380 CAN NOT MAKE COPIES, I DO CAN PRINT FROM COMPUTER. ANY ADVISSE

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.