HP LJ 3100 is either switched off or is not connected to your computer. (134 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Mike Kruzel_1
Message 1 of 6 (134 Views)

HP LJ 3100 is either switched off or is not connected to your computer.

A Dean at our school uses a Laserjet 3100xi printer and gets this error message before logging into the network "JetSuite Fax has detected that the HP Laserjet 3100 is either switched off or is not connected to your computer" with a retry option and cancel option.

I went into Microsoft Word and am able to send a fax manually dialing 9 to get out of the building then area code and phone number and can still use the JetSuite Fax program.

I found a fix with this error message under the Solve a Problem section but it was for Windows NT stating to unplug the cable off the printer and pc and shutting down pc and unplugging then plugging in again and turning on the machine. This didn't work. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 100 with Windows 98 Second edition. Any help would be hot!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 2 of 6 (134 Views)

Re: HP LJ 3100 is either switched off or is not connected to your computer.

Hi Mike,

Is your client directly connected to the LJ or are you using some sort of networking device? If the latter, try directly connecting him and let me know!

Kathy
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Kruzel_1
Message 3 of 6 (134 Views)

Unfortunately I can't hook the printer up directly to the Dean because it prints to about 20 people or more. It is hook to RJ-45 cabling through a Novell 4.11 network.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 4 of 6 (134 Views)

Hi again Mike,

I've been checking around and I'm afraid I have some bad news... the LJ 3100 isn't supported on a network. Since it is a parallel only device, I assume you're using some sort of network card, such as a JetDirect card?

The error your client is seeing is a communication error, probably due to the way it's hooked up. A better option for a 20 person print environment might be the LaserJet 2100, which has an on-board I/O slot. Also, the LJ 3150 is supported in a networked environment.

I realize this isn't good news, but unfortunately I cannot help you with a configuration that isn't supported. Sorry.

Kathy
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Kruzel_1
Message 5 of 6 (134 Views)

Scratch everything I said. I completely forgot We have a Laserjet 8100dn hooked up to about 20 people. This Dean has his printer hooked to an LPT port locally to his computer. I'm sorry!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 6 of 6 (134 Views)

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional info.

Try playing around with the parallel port settings in the PC's BIOS. Try EPP or ECP and see if that helps. Make sure he's using an IEEE-1284 compliant cable that's 10 feet or less in length. As I mentioned earlier, the error he's receiving is a communication issue.

Good luck!

Kathy
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation