HP Digital Imaging Monitor stopped working (on startup) (458 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Pete Anolick
Message 1 of 6 (458 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Digital Imaging Monitor stopped working (on startup)

Ever since upgrading to the latest (and greatest?) HP Solution Center full software update I get the above error message when I boot my PC most times. The error seems to happen almost everytime I start my PC. I then go to the startup folder and click on HP Digital Imaging Monitor and in most cases it starts up without any problems. Sometimes though, it gives the same error.
I have uninstalled (completely) all HP software (including HP update), cleaned my registry, rebooted and reinstalled now 8 times and the same thing happens. I even went back to my old version (version 12) of the HP Solution Center CD and installed that (no problems) then went through the updates and it starts happening again....
I'd hate to have to take it out of my startup folder and run it manually (and hope it starts ok) anytime I need to do a scan.
I have Vista SP2 on a fairly high-end PC and the Printer I have is the C309A (Photosmart Premium). I also have Norton 360, and read some threads elsewhere that there may be a conflict with Norton, but have not found out anything definitive.
Does anyone else have a problem with the DIM software on startup? From what I have read, this software seems to have lots of various problems...
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 6 (458 Views)

Re: HP Digital Imaging Monitor stopped working (on startup)

Pete,

Check out your logs in eventvwr.msc. Sometimes when things crash on boot-up an event is created and gives you some clues as to why. Check and see if any other programs are failing when you boot your computer.

I would also disable it from booting with the computer through Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab. Then just have people start it manually when they need to use it. You may have too many things loading at boot for the application to start correctly.

We have noticed on different models where taking updates from the HP update tool messes stuff up. For that reason we always prefer our users to install a fresh version of the software as opposed to letting the software update itself.

My two cents.
(points appreciated)
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Pete Anolick
Message 3 of 6 (458 Views)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I removed it from my startup folder and ran it manually, but I just put it back in the startup folder and we'll see what happens, it hasn't happened again so far. It may be that startup order changed when I removed it and put it back. If it happens again I'll look in the logs, I checked the logs but couldn't find anything, any idea which particular log I should look in?

I appreciate the info from you. I did uninstall all my HP software (even the update program) and then installed the lated full feature download from HP, but it still happened... so it happened whether I went the update from version 12 path or new install of version 13.

If anything interesting happens I'll let you all know.
Thanks again.
Pete
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 6 (458 Views)

Pete,

I would check your Application and System logs for more info. Your looking for anything that errors when you boot your computer. Normally you can google any of the applications that error and find out more information about the problem.

Do you have any other MFPs installed on this computer? We have also seen many cases where conflicting MFP software tries to update a shared file between the two programs.
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Pete Anolick
Message 5 of 6 (458 Views)

John,
Thanks for the tip. I found several errors form when it crashed on startup in my application logs... the exact error entry is:
-----------------
Faulting application hpqtra08.exe, version 130.0.376.0, time stamp 0x4a163449, faulting module HpqCPTA.dll, version 12.0.0.223, time stamp 0x4880551c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00009d20, process id 0xe90, application start time 0x01ca96e71871d2c7.
----------------
The same message everytime except for the time stamp.
Interestingly, since removing it from my startup folder rebooting several times and then putting it back into the startup folder the problem hasn't happened. I am beginning to think that maybe it's an "order of load" kind of issue...
I've looked around through google searching for both "hpqtra08.exe" and "HpqCPTA.dll" and found nothing of real interest other than others have problems with hpqtra08.exe in some fashion or other (this is the HP Digital imaging monitor program I assume).
I hate when problems go away without any real explanation, but I will live with it for now and report back if I find anything of interest.
Thanks for your help in this!
- Pete
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fire_wizard
Message 6 of 6 (311 Views)

Re: HP Digital Imaging Monitor (version 14.0) does not work after HP update or re-install of HP software

- because of corrupt or missing registry entries (on Windows Vista and probably others)

Fix:  Run the Digital Imaging Monitor in administrator mode to repair the registry entires
ie: Right click 'Start Menu -> All Programs -> Startup -> HP Digital Imaging Monitor' and "Run as administrator"

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation