Re: HP Color Laser Jet 2840 cannot load driver for Windows Vista 32 (288 Views)
Visitor
Hank Stevens
Message 1 of 5 (336 Views)

HP Color Laser Jet 2840 cannot load driver for Windows Vista 32

This device originally worked with Windows XP before we networked the device to accomodate Windows Vista and Windows 7.  Since we no longer have an active XP OS I would like to obtain a driver for the Windows Vista which is hardwired to the network.

I have tried the HP Print & Scan Doctor and downloaded HP
Color LaserJet 2820/2840 PCL6 Plug and Play Scan/Print Driver Solution

but that download runs into several cycles finding the printer (USB) and then cancels out and signals a download failure.  I also downloaded the Firmware update which signal positive.  I've read that it is not possible to use the Vista for the 2840 but I certainly would like to be ab le to use the device again; any advice would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 5 (316 Views)

Re: HP Color Laser Jet 2840 cannot load driver for Windows Vista 32

If your goal is to use the printer on the network then try out the HP Universal Print Drivers.  UPD's come in 3 flavors so try them out until you find one that works for your enviornment.

If you want to USB connect the printer then you will need to download the USB drivers for each individual OS and install them.  If your download gets corrupted then clear the temporary internet files on your browser and try again or try a different computer. 

You will not get any scanning software from HP for this printer on Vista or Win7 so you must resort to 3rd party scanning applications after the drivers are installed.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Visitor
Hank Stevens
Message 3 of 5 (301 Views)

Thanks very much for your help.  You were very helpful the last time around so I'm looking forward to trying out your suggestions for the work-arounds.  I don't know what you mean by 3rd party for scanning and would appreciate a description; I have two stand alone scanners, an HP flatbed, a Visioneer as well as an HP Photosmart.

Thanks again.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 5 (296 Views)

>I don't know what you mean by 3rd party for scanning

Something that isn't HP's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_developer#Third-party_developers

Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 5 of 5 (288 Views)

Examples of 3rd party scanning applications:

- Microsoft Paint

- Microsoft Windows Fax and Scan 

- Adobe Acrobat

- Photoshop

Most imaging applications will have some kind of import feature on them that will allow you to create a new document from the scanner.  However, only products licensed by Adobe will be able to create a PDF from scratch.  Everything else will have to create a .TIFF and then a free conversion tool to convert it over to .PDF.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.