Re: HP CM3530 - digital sending via gmail (1438 Views)
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 1 of 16 (1,477 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP CM3530 - digital sending via gmail

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've started working in a new office, where the HP CM3530 used to be able to scan and email that scan to people.  That stopped working a few months ago, though no one can tell me under what circumstances.

I've been at this for untold hours.  Can this printer send email through smtp.gmail.com?  I don't have a local mail server -- I have Google.  Will this printer work with my gmail account?  Under the "Digital Sending" tab, in "E-mail Settings", I enter all the proper info for my Google account -- cross my heart and hope to die, it's all 100% correct.  I hit "Test" and the message is always the same: "'smtp.gmail.com' is not responding or is not a valid SMTP Gateway Server."  That, of course, is simply not true.

So, what other settings do I need to change so that this printer recognizes smtp.gmail.com?  Here's some (perhaps) pertinent information from the Configuration page:

Embedded HP JetDirect J8010E 192.168.1.39
LDAP Gateway:
SMTP Gateway:
smtp.gmail.com
HP MFP Digital Sending Server:
Digital Send Advanced

I don't know why the digital sending server is 0.0.0.0 though I see no place to change that.

I'm accessing all of this from the printer's IP address in my web browser, by the way.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. This thread has been moved from Printing and Digital Imaging > Digital Senders to Multifunction and All-in-One. -HP forum moderator

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 16 (1,461 Views)

Re: HP CM3530 - digital sending via gmail

[ Edited ]

>Can this printer send email through smtp.gmail.com?

Typically ISPs want you to use authentication and secure connections so they don't forward spam.

This would require you to provide a username and password.  And also a different port number.

I don't see these your listing of those config fields.  Any other more advanced settings?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 3 of 16 (1,454 Views)

That info is simply taken from the Configuration Page.  But under Digital Sending --> E-mail Settings, that's where you enter things like user name, password, port number, SSL (yes or no), etc etc.  You'll just have to trust that I do, indeed, know my user name and password.  Gateway is smtp.gmail.com.  Port 465.  SSL yes.  This is basic stuff I've entered 100 times in 100 other programs.  It's correct.  The problem is, this printer doesn't want to recognize smtp.gmail.com as a valid gateway -- which it is.

Surely I'm not the first person to try to set up their gmail account to work with this printer.  How do other people set up digital sending?

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Askme
Message 4 of 16 (1,438 Views)

Have you tried using IP address instead of smtp.gmail.com?

Hope the gateway configured in the printer's TCP/IP configuration is able to connect printer with smtp.gmail.com

I believe that if the printer is unable to contact the email server, may be this is the firs issue which needs to be addressed.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 5 of 16 (1,427 Views)

There is no one IP address for smtp.gmail.com.  You cannot use an IP according to Google Support docs.  Nonetheless, I tried.  I pinged it, got the IP (173.194.68.108) pasted it in and hit "Test".  Unlike smtp.gmail.com, which the printer is quick to say it cannot find, I get a "No data received" Chrome error message when testing 173.194.68.108.

You say TCP/IP... under Configure Device, in Initial Setup --> Networking and I/O --> Embedded Jetdirect --> TCP/IP, I see the following settings:

ENABLE: ON
HOST NAME: NPI3D488C
PROXY SERVER: ___________
PROXY PORT (1 - 65535): 80
IDLE TIMEOUT (0 - 3600): 270

I don't know what any of those settings mean.

Under the IPV4 subcategory I see the following:

CONFIG METHOD: DHCP
DEFAULT IP: Auto IP
DHCP RELEASE: No
DHCP RENEW: No
PRIMARY DNS: <my primary DNS>
SECONDARY DNS: <my secondary DNS>

I see nothing wrong here.

I have to ask again, because I find this hard to believe: Gmail is not some little-used service.  Everybody uses it.  Countless millions.  And surely, out of those countless millions, someone has bought this printer and said "I'm going to set it up with my Gmail account."  I can't possibly be the first person to attempt this.  Surely we're overlooking something obvious?  Or perhaps it doesn't work at all with Gmail?  I could settle for that.  Tell me I can't do it, and I'll give up.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 16 (1,417 Views)

>PRIMARY DNS: <my primary DNS>
>SECONDARY DNS: <my secondary DNS>

I was going to ask if this matches the value from "ipconfig /all" for DNS.

But looking at your posts, I don't see any errors about not finding smtp.gmail.com.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 7 of 16 (1,407 Views)

Yes, the DNS's match those listed in an ipconfig /all.

Re: "But looking at your posts, I don't see any errors about not finding smtp.gmail.com."  That is not true.  Look at my first post.  I do indeed receive an error:

"'smtp.gmail.com' is not responding or is not a valid SMTP Gateway Server."

That's the whole problem, beginning and end.  That error.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Askme
Message 8 of 16 (1,403 Views)

As per my earlier post, what I wished you to check was the Default network gateway from the printer's TCP/IP configuration.  Generally printer asks for IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default gateway (for communicating with other networks) while we first configure a network printer for use.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 16 (1,399 Views)

>I don't see any errors about not finding smtp.gmail.com."  That is not true.   I do indeed receive an error:

My thinking was that "Not responding" is different than doesn't exist.  I.e. server can't be found.  DNS broken.

What happens if you put a bogus domain there?  Do you get a different error?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 10 of 16 (1,394 Views)

It's the same error for any bogus domain.

RE: Askme, a few posts back when I gave you my current TCP/IP settings -- that's all of them that are listed in the printer config.  I didn't omit anything.  There is no Gateway setting.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 11 of 16 (1,381 Views)

Are the rest of the staff using gmail ? if not then try using the mail provider the company uses as you only need outgoing SMTP traffic ?

if you can't find a validated route to Gmail options are you could install a mail client but there must be easier routes than going in circles with Gmail.

If you did install a local mail client you could make it act as a relay through to Gmail so you could get around this issue by using a simple client then relaying to Gmail, this would resolve the issue.

Most MFP want a gateway link to the email server so they can see it, if not then you tend to get these issues, in some cases internal firewalls can also be the issue so proving the link is the first task.

If you were to set up a basic mail client to act as a relay you should be able to prove all the stages easily and it might make future expansion easier as you can add clients as needed ?

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 12 of 16 (1,375 Views)

Presently, most of the staff are using free email services like Gmail.  We have a domain and we're in the process of setting up that domain to do email through Google Apps.  So, it all comes back to Google.

"Most MFP want a gateway link to the email server so they can see it."  Explain this a little more.  I think this is the key to understanding why this printer is complaining about smtp.gmail.com.  I'm not really a network professional.  I understand "Gateway" as a string of numbers and dots, but I don't really know what its function is.  Do I have a "Gateway link" to smtp.gmail.com?  Like I said in an earlier post, if there's somewhere in the printer config where a Gateway can be specified, I haven't found it.  It's not under TCP/IP.

I should mention that this is a network printer.  The printer is connected to the same switch that several other computers that use it are on.  I've connected my laptop to that switch and pinged smtp.gmail.com.  It goes through.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 13 of 16 (1,372 Views)

>If you did install a local mail client you could make it act as a relay through to Gmail

Hmm, I wasn't aware a mail client could do this, only a server can act as a relay?

What a mail client can do is make sure that the connection to smtp.gmail.com with the ports, username and password are all correct.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 14 of 16 (1,365 Views)

No more replies?  Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 15 of 16 (1,347 Views)

For client I meant service I suppose it depends how you look at it as a client provides a service - something like Postmail or similar should suffice, I've had such setups running before with postmail and several other mail clients (Dovecote etc) so had no issues using  a mail service acting as a relay.

Gmail doesn't have a single gateway which is why the printer cannot be given one, some people publish network addresses but they don't tend to work or change.

If I had an old PC laying around I would try something like SME server which has a mail client within it's default install and should allow you to configure as a relay which might prove the concept without any expense other than time.

I used to use ESmith which was replaced by SME (although I use Ubuntu now) and Esmith worked great, I had multiple relays running to multiple clients and had 15 minute incoming replication and instant outgoing.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jpete
Message 16 of 16 (1,293 Views)

Kevin, I can't thank you enough for your advice.  I had an extra PC lying around so I installed SME Server on it.  After a lot of configuring, I got it to work in harmony with this printer.  The IP address of the server was instantly recognized as a SMTP Gateway.

I set up the SME server in server-only mode.  I created email addresses for all the people in the office who want to receive emails from the printer.  These addresses are local, but you have the option to forward emails to an outside email address.  So, each address is configured to forward to a corresponding account.

This is the solution I've come up with after one day of tinkering.  Perhaps it's possible to send email directly to any outside address, but I couldn't figure it out.  If I specify an outside address, it fails.  But, it's not important.  I can live with this solution.  It's better than I ever dared to hope for.

Thank you, a thousand times, thank you!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation