HP C6180 - How to print BLACK ONLY cartridge? (2335 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Marvado
Message 1 of 12 (2,335 Views)

HP C6180 - How to print BLACK ONLY cartridge?

How to print in black only, bypassing color ink cartridges, even if at least one color cart. is empty?

I currently only have Magenta empty and black full, and printer won't print black.

Are there any modifications to the software, codes to be entered, any hacks to free the printer and print to "black cartridge only", as it says on printer properties?
Advisor
darktads
Message 2 of 12 (2,335 Views)

Re: HP C6180 - How to print BLACK ONLY cartridge?

You can try to choose the option Economical Printing

GO to Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>Right click on the printer icon and choose Properties

- Click on General Tab and Click on Printing Preferences
- Under Printing Preferences , click on printing shortcuts
- click on the option FAST AND ECONOMICAL PRINTING

( pls do this option if you want to save on color and wants to print using black ink. HP photosmart printers does not work if one of the ink is empty. You need to buy first a replacement for the empty magenta)

If you have VISTA try this steps and see if it works even you magenta is empty

GO to Control Panel>Printers >Right click on the printer icon and choose Properties>

- click on Device Setting Tab
- try to look for the option 'Print Text using black ink only'

Occasional Visitor
Marvado
Message 3 of 12 (2,335 Views)

you wrote:
"HP photosmart printers does not work if one of the ink is empty"

Question is: How do I make it work without replacing cartridges I don't even use.

I need Black only.
I shouldn'have to worry about the colored ones. That's how it's been with every other printer I've had.
Valued Contributor
Pau D'Great
Message 4 of 12 (2,335 Views)

Hi Marvado,

The printer that you've got is a 6-ink cartridge. This printer is actually designed to give you the best quality especially in photographic printing, thus this will not operate if one of the cartridge is empty.

As of this time, there is no workaround on this issue. I doubt HP will make a patch too.

If most of your printing requirement is black, then I would suggest you get a LaserJet or a 2-ink cartridge printer.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
Occasional Visitor
Tricol
Message 5 of 12 (2,335 Views)

I needed to print a 250 run of envelopes using black ink only. I set a "print option" using the Solution Centre program\ Settings \Printer settings \Printer shortcuts. I set up a new option for this special job. I had to select the tab "Colour" then grayscale /Use black print cartridge only. I still have a problem ensuring that the black ink setting is still "set" each time. This last print run I did, the Yellow ink was very low - but I had set for Black only. By the time other colours had run out and I was forced to change 3 colour cartridges I found that the printer had used colour and NO black. How much more could I have done in setting to use Black only? What a waste of colour ink.
Occasional Visitor
Josh222
Message 6 of 12 (2,335 Views)

The real annoying thing about this is I don't "run out" of ink; it dries up before I use it. Use this PoC printer maybe once a month and even then it is 1-3 pages with very little color use. Without fail this printer warns of low ink in both black and color within 2 months. Someone at the store recommended running the printing test every week (which uses far more ink) just to keep things working. Think I will have an Office Space moument with this printer in the near future.
Occasional Visitor
mkshbck
Message 7 of 12 (2,335 Views)

Such is the brilliance of the HP engineering (aka ink marketing) department.
Occasional Visitor
Sorzy
Message 8 of 12 (2,335 Views)

HP obviously did a software upgrade that disabled the ability to print black only. Up until maybe a month or so ago, give or take a week or two, I use to be able to print black only especially when, due to when or when one or even two color cartridges were completely empty.

Ever since they did the upgrade/update not only did it do this, but it now also causes the pop ups all the damn time and they're a a real pain in the A$$. You know, the one that always pops up telling you the printer is active or ready or whatever.

For me it's usually in the lower right hand corner of my screen. The other is to tell you which color or colors you're out of and it usually pops up in the middle of the screen...Again, ALL A PAIN IN THE A$$!

I wish they'd of left well enough alone.

If I can remove the update or updates that caused this I'll gladly post what to do. If it can even be done? I tried a system restore and it didn't work...

Occasional Visitor
dave burnham
Message 9 of 12 (2,335 Views)

I have the same problem...colour cartridges have run out but i only want black and white. The printer says " press Okay if you want to print in B&W " But will not print. And yes I have set the print preview to B&W...Whats up ! Is it true that I have to have all carts full to print. that would be ridiculous , I would have to buy another printer if it was true ??
Occasional Visitor
Josh222
Message 10 of 12 (2,335 Views)

I have finally found a solution to this problem; a fail proof, without a doubt, sure fire fix. After searching the forums here and many other places I felt defeated and broke down to go buy the ink cartridges. Found it in a handy Black&Color combo pack for... $65.00. Considering it used to be $50 for the same pack and I had bought maybe 5 or 6 of these combo packs to date I really felt trapped. It was then I saw the answer. On a shelf in front of me one isle over was an entire row dedicated to printers! I found all sorts of printers with nearly the same quality as my HP junk, and the best part, the one I bought was $45.00. So sure you may need to plug in a new printer every 3-4 months but dont let the idea of buying an entirely new printer scare you. I don't expect this new printer to last, HP printers taught me that, but I will enjoy it for as long as it prints, then I will look at it's ink and say, "maybe it is time for a little upgrade". P.S. COSCO sometimes has mail-in rebates that actually pay you to take a printer.
Occasional Visitor
Tom Krewatch
Message 11 of 12 (2,333 Views)

My C8180 does the same thing. But here is the real kicker no one has mentioned. I don't use the color but rarely. The printer does not measure the ink in the cartridge. It estimates the usage of the average user and "assumes" you are using a certain amount of each color on each page you print and then decides when you are empty. My colors registering empty are not really empty at all.
Occasional Visitor
Criticatlarge
Message 12 of 12 (975 Views)

...erm... the solution is obvious.  if remanufactured cartridges work, buy those. use 'em as needed.

when depleted.. refill them yourself.  with black ink. all of them. well, providing you don't need
or want to print anything in colour.

easy peasy.  am surprised no one else thought of this hack.  'leastways I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

note: I assume no responsibility for equipment damage or your disappointment as a result of using this technique.

I also do not have stock in any ink company. or HP neither.

I haven't actually tried this myself, but I was gifted a C6180, with no power supply.

this week, I found one.  (I have no printer, I'm disabled with a modest income...)

invention is the mother of necessity. and verce visa.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.