Re: HP 9500 MFP forgets print jobs under Server 2012 (RDP) (861 Views)
Frequent Visitor
ccmichi
Message 1 of 8 (925 Views)

HP 9500 MFP forgets print jobs under Server 2012 (RDP)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

we are using some HP Color LaserJet 9500 MFP printers (Model C8549AR) which are used under Win XP, Win 7 x64 and Win 2012 (Remote Desktop). Under XP and 7 the printers work fine, but we have issues under Win 2012.

The printers are connected via TCP/IP and have static IP addresses.

First we tried the driver provieded with Win 2012. It is called "HP Color LaserJet 9500 MFP PCL6 Class Driver". This driver works fine, but the problem is that the prints aren't centered. They are about 1 cm moved to the right, so the borders don't match, and the text is cut on the right because it is moved outside the printable area. This issue doesn't depend on the software, it happens with Word, Excel, Adobe Reader and every single other software we tried. Only printing on the XP and 7 machines makes no problem.

So we tried to use the driver from the HP Website. This one is called "HP Universal Printing PCL 6" and the Version number in Windows 2012 is 61.140.4.14430.

With this driver the printer there are very big problems with "forgotten" print jobs. About one out of four jobs isn't printed.

After searching the web for infos about problems with print jobs I found a setting with a "Mopier Mode" which could perhaps have to do with the problem. After turning "Mopier Mode" off, we think the amout of forgotten print jobs decreased, but the problem still exists.

Sometimes it happens that some copies of a print are missing (i.e. you want to print 5 copies, but you only get 2 oder 3), but it also happens that jobs with one copy don't get printed at all.

When the printer has this issue the following can be seen on the device itself: The message "job is being processed" (maybe the text is a little different, I translated it because the message is in german) can be seen on the display for a short moment and the Data LED is blinking green short. If there is no problem with a printing job the message can be read by far longer.

We don't have a clou where we have to search for this problem.

We hope someone has a hint for us.

Thanks!

Regards, ccmichi

P.S. This thread has been moved from LaserJet to Multifunction and All-in-One - HP Forums Moderator

HP Pro
Askme
Message 2 of 8 (913 Views)

Re: HP 9500 MFP forgets print jobs under Server 2012 (RDP)

As per the following HP web link, the only network print supported driver for Windows 2012 server OS is HP Universal Print Driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=236248&p...

You may continue using the same for future use with Win 2012.  Hence let us look at the issues found only while using the UPD driver.

I would like to suggest following steps for isolation and troubleshooting the issue:

I hope you have direct print setup, i.e job sent from user's PC is directly sent to printer & not routed through any other PC/server (like a hardware or OS based file & print server etc.).  If yes, try enabling direct printing using HP Standard TCP/IP port (Printer properties => Ports Tab).  Also do check the if the port is configured to use IP address of the device and not host name.

The purpose of above steps is to minimize job transfer delay between PC & printer.

Try to bypass local network for testing purpose.  It may be simple to connect printer directly with a PC (one to one connectivity) in test mode & check performance.

Any other network related communication errors or issues could aso be identified & troubleshooted, if required.

Ensure device is actually not too busy handling other jobs (Scan, Fax, Copy) and does not fall short of media stock frequently, as this might cause jobs to accumulate in queue and affecting device performance.

Device firmware may be upgraded to latest version 08.260.1 using following HP web link:

NOTE: Try keeping the stapler/stacker and any other accessories (extra input tray, duplexer etc.) disconnected before performing upgrade (go through readme file available with the firmware bundle).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=236248&p...

I hope there are no errors observed during UPD driver installation and it is successful.  Do try altering the mode of installation of UPD drivers(Traditional or Dynamic).

Please let us know your inputs.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Frequent Visitor
ccmichi
Message 3 of 8 (909 Views)

Hello askme,

thanks for your reply.

I just checked the driver version again, and noticed that I am using the driver you recommended.

The version number from my initial post was in the first line of the driver info. In the second line stands "UPD Version:  5.6.0.11430". So the driver seems to be correct.

The port settings are:

Port name: 192.168.13.x (so it is the IP-address and not the hostname)

Protocol: RAW

Port number: 9100

Additional information to the driver:

Name: HP Color LaserJet 9500 MFP PCL6 Class Driver

Processor: x64

Type: Type 4 - User Mode

The only network devices between the server and the printers are up to 2 HP ProCurve switches which work fine. PCs which are connected to the same switch as one of the 9500 MFPs don't have any networking problems. Everything runs smooth on these PCs. These are also PCs which don't have printing issues.

I don't think it could be a networking issue, because as I mentioned in my first post the print jobs with the built-in driver work, but are aligned to the right too much.

At the moment 3 of the 9500 MFPs are used, and all have the same issue.

Windows 2012 built-in driver: wrong alignment of the print

HP driver for Windows 2012: printer forgets some jobs

Windows XP and 7: no problems at all

If you think it is necessary to test the direct connection between one of the 9500 MFPs and the server it could take a while to test it. The server has over ten active remote sessions during business hours, and because of this I have to plan a downtime because the users won't be able to connect during the test.

The load on the 9500 MFPs isn't really high. Fax is not in use, the scan and copy function is used only a few times a day.

I installed the driver manually. I extracted the downloaded file and didn't launch the installer. I chose "Add printer" in the "devices and printers" section in the Windows control panel, added the TCP/IP port with IP address for the connection and selected the driver via "have disk" and chose the folder where I extracted the files to.

For the other two printers I did the same, but chose "use existing driver (recommended)".

If that was the wrong way please tell me the best way to have the driver installed correctly.

If I forgot any information you need please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, ccmichi

HP Pro
Askme
Message 4 of 8 (905 Views)

I am sorry if I have caused a question in your mind about driver version in earlier post.  What I wanted to suggest is to continue using the same UPD driver for future use as it is the only driver available for download & use with Win server 2012.

The method used by you for driver installation is correct, only concern could be replacing the driver when prompted.  You may also perform driver installation as guided by the UPD driver installer using 'traditional mode'.

You may consider my earlier suggestion i.e the printer to server one to one connectivity, as a last try to resolve the missing print jobs/copies related issue.  Before that the firmware upgrade & driver installation/configuration (like mopier mode - which you are already aware).

Hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor
ccmichi
Message 5 of 8 (890 Views)

Hi Askme,

thanks for your reply.

I still got a question regarding Mopier mode. I turned it off in the driver, but when opening the web interface of the printers it says "Mopier: on".

It is clear that turning off Mopier in the driver won't affect the configuration of the printer itself.

But will the print job be processed with or without Mopier when the driver doesn't use Mopier, but the printer has turned it on?

I tried to turn it off on the printer, but I couldn't find the setting explained in the reference manual.

Testing the one to one connection between server and printer still takes some time. I will provide the results as soon as the test happened.

Regards, ccmichi

HP Pro
Askme
Message 6 of 8 (880 Views)

Using the product control panel go to Configure Device => System Setup => RAM Disk set this option to OFF.

Do check as per my earlier reply to this post:

The firmware version of your product & upgrade to latest version using the web link provided.

Driver installation method (replace driver) & traditional mode installation for UPD drivers.

Hope this helps. 

Frequent Visitor
ccmichi
Message 7 of 8 (861 Views)

Hello Asmke,

sorry for my late reply.

I tried to turn off the RAM Disk, but in the System Setup such an option is missing. I checked the whole menu structure, but I couldn't find an option for RAM Disk or something with Mopier in the name anywhere.

A RAM Disk is inserted. I saw a cartridge containing the HDD wich about 20 GB in a slot near the interfaces. Is it a good idea to unplug the HDD and test it without HDD or could this lead to other problems?

After upgrading the firmware I had some interesting results:

- The SNMP function in the printer driver was enabled (but we didn't use it), but after the firmware upgrade the printers went offline and came back online after disabling SNMP

- one printer worked fine after appying the new firmware, but another one had the same issues like before

- if it could have to do with SNMP: I turned off SNMP for all Printer Ports in the driver setting

The printer that doesn't seem to have issues any more is the one who got the driver installed first.

If it depends on the installation order how should the driver be installed to have a chance of getting rid of this problem?

Do I just have to choose "replace driver" or shall I run a driver setup?

Thanks for your help!

Regards, ccmichi

Frequent Visitor
ccmichi
Message 8 of 8 (838 Views)

Hi,

it looks like finally I found a workaround for the issue of the forgotten print jobs. After trying all available PCL drivers I switched to the PS driver, and since that moment all print jobs were processed.

But other interesting things now happen: Tray 1 with manual feed shouldn't be used, so I tried to set it to not available. But it automatically switches back to Letter which is the standard setting for this tray.

Also I have the problem that some applications (i.e. Word, Excel) don't print in color on one specific printer. The driver is the same for all three, but in the printer settings they aren't the same. So the one which prints greyscale shows a page settings symbol in greyscale where the ones which print in color show a colored page settings symbol in color also. Sometimes the greyscale printer prints in color, even when the page settings symbol is greyscale.

Oh and the standard paper sort is kind of brochure when switching to the PS driver which I had to switch to normal paper.

Since the firmware update to 08.260.1 the printer which "prefers" greyscale printing has errors immediately after switching it on:

50.1 Device Error

13.05.00 Fuser Output, Paper Late Jam

After removing and refitting the Fuser 1-3 times the error disappears and printing works without further problems.

Regards, ccmichi

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.