HP 7410 Printer - Can't set it to print from lower paper tray? (626 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 8 (626 Views)

HP 7410 Printer - Can't set it to print from lower paper tray?

Hi.

I have an Officejet 7410 All-In-One printer. This came with the lower tray (in addition to the normal upper tray) as standard. I am running Windows XP Pro. The printer is linked to one PC via a USB cable, and to other networked PC's via the first PC.

I can set the lower tray as the default paper source in the printer's firmware, but not in the software installed on the attached PC.

I was previously able to set the lower tray as the default paper source for all programs via Control Panel/Printers/File/Properties/Printing Preferences/Paper/Quality. However, following a reinstall of the full software this option is no longer available. Under individual programs (Microsoft Word, etc.) I can still set the lower tray as default. But in the general printer settings the only option available in the drop-down "Source is:" box is "Upper Tray". No other otions are listed.

Curiously, after the software reinstall other PC's on the network still showed the full options list for this printer, and were still set to the Lower Tray as the default option. But after experimentally switching to Upper Tray as the default on these PC's, I found that all other options disappeared and I was again left with "Upper Tray" as the only option.

I am aware that the paper type cannot be set to Auto if the missing feature is to work. I have it set to Plain Paper, whish was always OK before, but not now. I have also tried other paper settings without improvement.

Can anyone suggest how I might regain the option to set the lower tray as the overall default paper source? Is there perhaps a workaroung via Windows Registry?

Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
Message 2 of 8 (626 Views)

Re: HP 7410 Printer - Can't set it to print from lower paper tray?

Neville,
I do not share your specific problem (but my configuration is different - LAN network connected), however, I wanted to add that I frequently (but not always) find when I request the 'upper tray' (for me the draft queue) the printer prints to the bottom tray (for me the letter queue). This appears perhaps to be the reverse of your reported problem where I cannot override the bottom tray as being default.

Irritating and unpredictable, so I will watch for your results.
Paul
Occasional Advisor
Message 3 of 8 (626 Views)

I have the exact same problem, anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Scott
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 8 (626 Views)

Neville,

Did you ever find a fix? I was told by HP techs to uninstall and reinstall, level 4 etc. Took hours and the software just got worse. Now there is no lower tray indicated anywhere in my software. However, the printer will copy from the lower tray. Sadly the tech's don't seem even to be interested in figuring out why this occurs and no one (contacte 5 of them!) even hinted they had heard of it. I did multiple re-installs following their advice and still no lower try. It had been there for months until I tried to fix problems that came up with Word Perfect. Any ideas?
Occasional Advisor
Message 5 of 8 (626 Views)

This has happened to me on two separate occasions. The solution was embarrassingly simple each time. (Still, at least I knew what to do the second time around...)

These two steips solved my problem;

1/ Ensure that there is paper in the lower tray and that it is correctly located.

2/ Print a test page from within Windows' Printer Properties window.

That was it - the lower tray appeared and gave no further trouble.

I hope your problem is as easy to resolve.

Good luck.
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 8 (626 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Meanwhile I found a partial solution. Seems that WordPerfect 12 creates it's own printer settings in the registry and then (at least for the last month) doesn't properly allow the printer properties to be changed and kept in WordPerfect.

So I deleted (it get recreated automatically) the Registry entry and surprise! Suddenly my HP7410xi settings now showed the lower tray etc. in the Printer Preferences and in MS Word etc.

Word Perfect 12 still doesn't coordinate with this printer well.

No one at HP seems to have this info available. WP has a general Printing Problems fix - seems they have lots of printer problems - at Answer ID 754014. Says at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Corel, rename "PrintEngine" to "printEngineOld" and I just delete it once I've got one saved. They also say to rename Envelope in \WordPerfect\12 etc., but I found this didn't make any difference.

Seems these guys didn't want to collaborate on their software.

Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 8 (626 Views)

I have the same problem with mine and have an open tech going with HP. So far it doesn't appear that they completely read my complaint so I just did what they said to do and replied for further help.
I noticed that this is an old thread so most likely if I do get this resolved it won't help anyone who has already posted but maybe it will help someone in the future.
When/if I get this resolved I will come in and repost.
Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 8 (626 Views)

I am having the same problem. Please post if anyone has a solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.