HP 2840 scanner error 2 (2397 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Lawrence Lancaster
Message 1 of 9 (2,397 Views)

HP 2840 scanner error 2

Received scanner error 5. Turn off and on worked for a few times. Replaced the scanner assembly. First time on showed scanner bulb warming up, but eventually scanner error 2. Turned off and on - no good. The bulb lights up, but is positioned in the middle of the plate.

Help

Maverick
Advisor
ROWAN HANRAHAN
Message 2 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Re: HP 2840 scanner error 2

Maverick,
when you replaced the scanner, did you re-install all the cables and the ground wire?
If not disassemble and re-insert and re-assemble.
If the scanner assembly is faulty, then return it for a replacement, HP will warranty all the replacement components.
Occasional Visitor
Lawrence Lancaster
Message 3 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Thank ypu for your reply. Yes, I believe I connected all the wires correctly. I disconnected the wires and reconnected and still receive the error. I probably made a mistake by buying it via eBay. It was advertised as new and physically it appears to be new.

Any other ideas? Any tests that I can conduct to locate the problem?

Thank you again.

Maverick
Advisor
ROWAN HANRAHAN
Message 4 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Hey Maverick,
it may well be the case that the scanner is faulty, however< i have attached a PDF on printing the config page, then a deatiled report from the printer. Check out those and see what the printer has to say about the scanner, it should run some diagnostics on it and tell you in more detail any errors or error messages that have occured. The last page on the PDF is a NVRAM reset ,this will return the printer to the state that the printer was in as it left the factory, so all you settings, faxes, fax numbers etc will be wiped, this may remove the fault if the error is occuirng via a software clitch / error, or it may do nothing to solve the error if the fault is from a faulty scanner, goodluck, let me know how you go
Occasional Visitor
Lawrence Lancaster
Message 5 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Rowan:

Thank you for your valuable input. I found the problem - the gound wire in the new scanner assy was not attached properly. I removed and put on a new gound connector and now AOK.

But a new problem. I replaced the Imaging drum and now I am not able to scan. I have pulled it and reset three times - I believe it is installed properly. Help!
Occasional Visitor
Pam Bristow
Message 6 of 9 (2,397 Views)

I also am having the scanner 2 error after replacing the scanner head assmebly which our company purchased thru ebay. I have tried all your suggestions but still can not get it to work. Please advice.
Occasional Visitor
dra cri
Message 7 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Where do I find that "gound" wire (I thing his refering to the ground wire) ?

Thank you.
Regular Visitor
crobu
Message 8 of 9 (1,759 Views)

Hello,

I know that this post is very very old but I had the same problem (scanner error 2) and I've found that the flat cable connected to the scanner unit had 1 wire out of 20 interrupted.

I've changed the cable and the scanner works fine.

Scanner error 2 has to mean something like this: the scanner bulb  didn't reached temperature X in time Y.

I hope that someone will find my post useful.

Occasional Visitor
Maria Conway-Moule
Message 9 of 9 (1,391 Views)

hello,

I am getting scanner error 2 - turn off and turn on again.  does this mean i need to replace something?

Sorry.  bit useless on this :(

Many thanks

Maria

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.