HP 2840 receives faxes but won't print them (220 Views)
Occasional Visitor
lakeandsky
Message 1 of 3 (220 Views)

HP 2840 receives faxes but won't print them

My client has an HP 2840. It has been a powerful workhorse for him. Suddenly, it is doing something very strange. It will not print faxes he receives. If I send him a fax, I can hear the ringing in the 2840, and then nothing. I get a confirmation message that that the fax has been delivered successfully, but it never prints. When I print a fax report, it doesn't show that any fax ever came in. His machine is set to print, not to deliver the fax to the PC. We have already tried to re-initalize the fax file system, and that did nothing. Does anybody have any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 3 (211 Views)

Re: HP 2840 receives faxes but won't print them

Any time there is a random faxing problem with an HP printer the best thing to do is to perform a Cold Reset of the device.  Cold Resets will wipe out the temporary memory on the machine and purge any glitches in the fax modem.  It really is the best tool that HP has to offer.

Cold Reset (NVRAM initialization) 2840:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/reset-a-2840-to-factory-defaults/td-p/930208

After the reset is complete then reconfigure the fax machine for your enviornment.  If you have the option to disable a feature called Error Correction then I suggest you do so.  Give the fax machine a call from a phone and make sure it can pick up with the usual fax answer tones/screeches.  After that you should be good to send a normal fax message through.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 3 (203 Views)

Re: HP 2840 receives faxes but won't print them

"If I send him a fax, I can hear the ringing in the 2840, and then nothing" This is telling us something but not sure what. When you send him a fax the display on his 2840 should change to receiving or something other than ready. Does it? Can he send a fax to you? Maybe there is an issue with the fax line.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation