HP 2840 Scanner Error 5 (8790 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 82 (8,790 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 2840 Scanner Error 5

I turned the HP 2840 off and then turned it on now when it initializes the scanner makes clicking noises and I get a scanner error 5
Please help
Advisor
Message 2 of 82 (8,784 Views)

Re: HP 2840 Scanner Error 5

This is a known issue with this product. There is no resolution other than to replace the scanner assembly. If the product is under warranty, contact HP and they will service the printer free of charge.
Occasional Advisor
Message 3 of 82 (8,784 Views)

I got the same problem! Nice to know that the scanner unit must be replaced. The warranty is past. Sight....
Occasional Advisor
Message 4 of 82 (8,784 Views)

Well, I guess it is my turn. On Sept 17, 2007, the HP 2840 performed for me exactly as it did for Daniel as he described above. Turn it on and it makes clicking noises. Display says "Scanner error 5, cycle power". Nothing in documentation about this. The only noticable result of cycling the power was that it took a few minutes to give the same result again. Could it be the microcode noted that the unit is now two years old and it is too old to work any more? Interesting that a scanner failure prevents the printer from working!

Does re-installing the driver provide any hope for a difference?

Thanks,
Wes Crenshaw
Regular Advisor
Message 5 of 82 (8,784 Views)

Wes,
Reinstalling the Driver will not help.
When did you first encounter this? Was it after some maintenance?
There is a 4 wire bundle that connects the scanner top to the main circuit board in the printer. If it's loose, has pinched wires, or is disconnected, the scanner 5 error will appear.
If the bundle is connected, it's most likely something has gone awry with the ability to find the "home" position for the scanner head.
The scanner top may need to be replaced. I'm not talking about the Automatic document feeder top, I'm referring to the plastic housing that has the scanner mechanism inside.
Phred.
You can't fix 'em all, but you can try.
Occasional Advisor
Message 6 of 82 (8,784 Views)

A couple of weeks ago I replaced one of the color cartridges. Everything worked fine. Then one morning when I try to print, the HP2840 does not print and the display says "scanner error 5". It would be OK for the scanner to not work until I can replace the scanner assembly but this error keeps it from printing. I have no diagram showing how to dig in and find the "4 wire bundle". Where can I find such a diagram? I do not think this going to be the problem. What is the part number for the "scanner assembly"?
I miss my printer and am going to be severely disappointed if it is dead after only 2 light years.!
Thanks,
Wes Crenshaw
Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 82 (8,784 Views)

Does anyone have instructions for scanner assembly replacement? Thanks! Elizabeth
Regular Advisor
Message 8 of 82 (8,784 Views)

Wes.
I have seen a link in the forum, I think from a contributor by the last name of Thompson, that has service manuals for many printers.
If you are adept at printer repair, remove the right side cover, by removing the two screws in the hand hold area. pull the cover out at the bottom, using the handhold area, it will pop quite loudly. Once you get the cover off, you will find a large sheetmetal box with a row of connectors across the top of the circuit board. You do not need to remove the sheetmetal box to access the connector I am referring to. The four wire bundle I'm referring to has black, yellow, blue and red wires going to it. It's pretty much in the center of the row of connectors Be sure it is secure.
If the connector is securely inserted and no pinched wires are observed, the next most likely cause for this issue is a calibration stip for the scanner head inside of the scanner top. There are no spare parts for that level of repair. Opening the scanner top to repair it is likely to let in dust or debris and you won't find much that can be done if the calibration strip has moved or delaminated. The scanner top will need to be replaced. I believe the part number for the scanner top is Q3948-60191 unless it's been replaced with a newer part number.
The service manual will help in replacing the scanner top. It's quite a bit of work so be prepared to spend some time with it, especially if you aren't a trained tech.
Phred G.
You can't fix 'em all, but you can try.
Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 82 (8,784 Views)

I am also getting Page Too Complex,
Can somebody help
How do I find out how many pages have been through this printer?
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 82 (8,784 Views)

unplug the ADF top and reboot the printer. This should allow you to use all printer functions, except ADF. I am still troubleshooting and should have a solution shortly.
Occasional Visitor
Message 11 of 82 (8,510 Views)

After printer has initialized and calibrated and is in the "ready" state, re-attach the ADF and plug it in. All should be good to go. I have not encountered Scanner Error 5 since.
Occasional Advisor
Message 12 of 82 (8,510 Views)

- HP 2840 Scanner Error 5
When I had this error, Phred G provided good input but nothing worked. The price of replacing the ADF was too much. Having little to loose, I took the ADF off and took it apart. I was looking from a broken wire, a sensor blocked with paper trash. I found nothing. Blew it with compressed air. Put it back together. I got lucky! That was in late 2007 and it is still working. Thanks Phred.

- HP 2840 Scanner "Page too complex"
I too have encountered this one. I found some additional memory and added 96MB. I have not yet seen this error scanning the same page.

- Jim Arakawa's solution is problem the one that fixed my scanner 5. I do not think that what I did was exactly in the steps he described but the ADF was disassembled and then reassembled. I powered it on/off many time in this process.

If the screwdriver does not work, get a hammer!

Occasional Visitor
Message 13 of 82 (8,510 Views)

I had the identical problem but the machine FIXED ITSELF. I do not live near a repair service and the scanner assembly was on 2-3 week back order. I had turned the machine off-on innumerable times, in addition to removing/reinserting the ADF unit completely at least 2-3 times. Imagine my surprise several days later when I turned the machine on, the scanner error #5 clicking started, I was interrupted, and the next thing I knew the clicking had stopped and the machine then worked perfectly! Thinking back, perhaps the problem began when I was printing a 500 page manuscript and someone tried to send me a fax at the same time? Just happy to have it back!
Occasional Visitor
Message 14 of 82 (8,510 Views)

My previous post is a temporary fix. This "error" has re-occurred once, and I performed the fix again. It has occurred twice in three months. Until I, or someone pinpoints exactly the cause(and fix), I will probably continue to use the temporary fix.
Occasional Visitor
Message 15 of 82 (8,510 Views)

check de wire to connect the flattbed scanner to other side.... a fix the same problem only move the wire ... check this option before buy the flat bed
Occasional Visitor
Message 16 of 82 (8,510 Views)

Thank you jim arakawa for the advise... IT*S WORK...!!!

My steps:

0. Switch Off the printer.
1. I open upper cover there the scaner placed.
2. Clean the wite stripe, which is on top of scaner "home".
3. I open the right side cover. It has just two skrews on hand hold area.
4. Than I switch On the printer.
5. Than on start up I put back the upper cover for scaner.
6. Than the scaner start moving I unplaging and plaging back several times the green, blue, yellow, red core from connector wich is up on the up left side on metal cover.
7. It works for this moment, no more the "Sacaner Error 5".
8. I'm happy.... :)))
Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 82 (8,512 Views)

So, folks...it working like this only one day and tha again same "error #5"...

And no service from HP at all.

Someone could advice any soluion???

Thaks.
Occasional Visitor
Message 18 of 82 (8,512 Views)

I removed the ADF and opened the top glass cover. I checked everything was OK (no loose connections, broken parts, etc) and cleaned everything including the steel bar that the moving scanner part travels along. I then tried setting the moving scanner part in different start positions with the ADF off before switching power back on. I still got the clicking sound which comes from the belt drive when the moving scanner part reaches the furthest right hand or left hand sides. I then realised that the scanner software is looking for the two white strips. One white strip is under the glass cover on the right hand side. The other white strip is on the removeable ADF at the left hand side. I then re-assembled everything, making sure that the moving scanner part was at the furthest point on the right hand side. With the ADF installed I then switched on the printer and everything worked without any clicking.
Occasional Visitor
Message 19 of 82 (8,512 Views)

I am going to try that. My printer has been off for months and I am very upset that HP has not given us any results. I have had to use a $59.00 Brother printer for a long time since my $899.00 HP 2840 is broken
Occasional Visitor
Message 20 of 82 (8,512 Views)

I have been dealing with this error myself for the past week. Thanks to this thread I was able to fix the error 5.

Tried re-seating the connection wires (blue, green, yellow, red)... to no avail. The only thing that finally fixed the problem was removing the top glass fixture by unscrewing the top 6 screws (hex shaped). Note that I was unable to completely take it off, but able to lift it up enough to do the next step. I, like a previous poster, was able to, by using the belt, move the scanner lamp assembly all the way to the left (not to the right as he indicated). I also unplugged the white ribbon and then plugged it back in again. I don't know which of the 2 previous steps fixed the problem... you may want to try the first before unplugging the ribbon. I then turned the printer back on and it fixed the problem.
Occasional Advisor
Message 21 of 82 (9,309 Views)

Unfortunately, I have two of these 2840's problem printers, both have the scanner error 5 problem. I will try the solution offered by David Charbonneau next time. However, for step 1, I tilt the right side of the unit about one inch above the printer table, drop it to the table, if that does not fix it, do the same to the left side. This seems to work about half of the time. If this procedure breaks this $900.00 dollar printer, I will probably be releaved. Interesting that HP has not officially made any statements about this problem. There is the solution of a previous user that solved this agrivation with a $50.00 Brother.
Occasional Visitor
Message 22 of 82 (9,309 Views)

I followed the same fix that Mr. Charbonneau tried. It worked! I unscrewed the top 6 screws. Moved the scanner lamp assembly all the way to the left. I did not unplug and plug in again the white ribbon. I then turned the printer back on and voila!
Occasional Visitor
Message 23 of 82 (9,309 Views)

Well this is interesting!
1. I got the error 5 code after 2 years and did the entire scanner check, clean, re-allign etc. It works for a while, wait and see!
2. I now get the "PC not found" error everyday.

This all after I have run all the update software etc.

Occasional Visitor
Message 24 of 82 (9,309 Views)

What is part number for the scanner unit onthe 2840 and price please
Occasional Contributor
Message 25 of 82 (9,309 Views)

The scanner assembly part is Q3948-60191. I gave up and ended up ordering one ($167 + tax + shipping). It took me 10 minutes to install it. Here's the rundown:

- Unplug the printer and phone/network cables.

- Disconnet the ADF (automatic document feeder). It pops right up and there is only one connector in the rear center.

- Remove the control panel cover. It comes right off with your fingers. Grab it from the top center and pull.

- Remove the control panel. You'll see there are two plastic hinges on the bottom of it. Just grab the panel towards you (you'll see the hinges squeeze) and pull up. There are no screws.

- Disconnet the control panel. Pull out the connector strip and plastic cable.

Now, to the printer's right cover panel which is where the scanner is connected...

- Remove the right cover on the printer. First, pop the grill. Then remove the two screws on the bottom of the side panel. Pop the panel up. It comes right off.

Now, it's time to remove the scanner assembly.

- Press the gray button on the right to pop up the scanner (as if you were going to change the toner--but don't open the toner lid).

- Disconnect the hinges. You'll see right there the two little tabs to do so.

- Remove the right rear cap by the right hinge. It has a tab in the center you lift to loosen it up. It slides straight backwards. There are no screws.

- Disconnect the scanner cables (you'll see them wrapping around the rear cap onto the printer)

Now, the scanner assemble is free and you can remove it.

Repeat the process backwards to install the replacement.

Of course, do all this at your own risk. These are my instructions for what I did with my printer only and I assume no responsibility for whatever you do with your printer :-)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.