Re: HP 2840, Scanner Error 5 Fix (3583 Views)
Occasional Visitor
golds
Message 1 of 8 (9,472 Views)

HP 2840, Scanner Error 5 Fix

I believe I have found a fix to the "scanner 5 error" message on my HP 2840 AIO.  Remove the right side panel (when facing the machine) by removing two screws from the bottom.  There is a small white port with cables that can be removed and then reinserted.  I found this fix in someone else's post along with other things to try so I wasn't sure what actually fixed it, but each time I have had a power outage, the machine resets and I get the same error.  This has worked for me so I thought I'd share it because I was ready to pull my hair out over this problem :)  Happy printing!

Occasional Visitor
CWDK2628
Message 2 of 8 (9,002 Views)

Re: HP 2840, Scanner Error 5 Fix

Can you provide a jpg image of the cable you are talking about.,....there's an awful lot of cables in there. :-)

And do I gather that all you did was unplug the cable and replug it in?

Thanks!

golds wrote:

I believe I have found a fix to the "scanner 5 error" message on my HP 2840 AIO.  Remove the right side panel (when facing the machine) by removing two screws from the bottom.  There is a small white port with cables that can be removed and then reinserted.  I found this fix in someone else's post along with other things to try so I wasn't sure what actually fixed it, but each time I have had a power outage, the machine resets and I get the same error.  This has worked for me so I thought I'd share it because I was ready to pull my hair out over this problem :)  Happy printing!

Occasional Visitor
Stranger90
Message 3 of 8 (7,041 Views)

Hi,

I've atached photo of cable which I reatached to make working scanner again as a solution :)

Occasional Visitor
dudleyservice
Message 4 of 8 (7,013 Views)

I found THE REAL ISSUE (or, the "surreal" issue) causing HP 2840 "Scanner Error 5" -- and it explains why the problem occurs after some time of "aging" of HP 2840 printers (and perhaps other models). There is a black ground wire that runs between a ring lug on the top end -- that's attached under one of the mounting screws for the scanner's stepper motor -- and it runs to a female tab connector -- which clips to a tab which is cut into the chassis sheet metal behind the right document-feeder hinge.

Intermittent problems (like mine was showing up) in computerized equipment are almost always the result of either a broken wire, or a connector that's not connecting (due a thin layer of corrosion). So, first (as suggested by other posts),  I reseated all of the related connectors ... but the error remained.

Here was the big clue: I had read on another thread that if you replace the scanner assembly, and if you fail to reattach this grounding wire, you will get stopped by the Scanner Error 5.  So, I then noticed that one end of the wire makes contact using the stepper motor's frame (that probably is zinc plated steel, or it's aluminum), and the lower end of the wire makes contact by the compression of a tin-plated tab connector against a tab cutout on the lower chassis (that probably is also zinc plated steel). The reason that tin, zinc, and aluminum are corrosion-resistant is because (intentionally) the metal (slowly) forms a microscopic surface of metal oxide (which happens to be an insulator).

I found that the contact point on the frame of the stepper motor was a thick dull oxide; the same with the ring of the ring lug, and the plating on the tab cut on the chassis. I shined them up with emery cloth ... and voilà!: Scanner Error 5 is history!

The permanent fix would be to solder-coat the contact points before reattaching the grounding wire.

(Thanks for all the the help on this forum that was needed to track down the real issue. If you want to reply to my post, please post it, rather than email -- since I seldom look at my email.)

Occasional Visitor
fand0r
Message 5 of 8 (6,933 Views)

[ Edited ]

Worked perfectly ! I registered on this site just to tell You THANK YOU !

Great Job!

Occasional Visitor
dmueller
Message 6 of 8 (5,883 Views)

Hello dudleyservice,

please can you post a picture wher you do the operation(s) to shine them up ?

Thanks in advance.

Greating from Germany

Occasional Visitor
Michael Betz
Message 7 of 8 (5,589 Views)

Many thanks for posting this simple fix and the photo. It works!

Occasional Visitor
family9
Message 8 of 8 (3,583 Views)

I am having this same problem(error5) but cant locate the hinge location listed. could you send a photo of the black ground wire location? thanks

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.