Printer "unknown device"--can't be a receiver of firmware (3889 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Paul Bottomley
Message 1 of 19 (18,845 Views)

Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download

Hi.

I have a Laserjet 2840 running via Mac OS X.

I was installing the firmware software from the HP site.
We had a power cut midway through installation.
Turned the machine back on, now reads the error on the printer: 'Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download"

My computer cannot see my printer and it will not restrat.

Please help...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
MJS1240!
Message 2 of 19 (18,845 Views)

Re: Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download

How are you connected to the printer. USB, network
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Paul Bottomley
Message 3 of 19 (18,845 Views)

USB.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
MJS1240!
Message 4 of 19 (18,845 Views)

I'm not really sure about mac. But in windows when you have an error you can go into port configuration and click on Virtual USB. This will make the printer take the firmware upgrade. Doing the upgrade the same as you did before.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Kodiak
Message 5 of 19 (18,845 Views)

Hello!

I know how to solve this problem.

First you must turn your M1522xx on and if it shows "Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download", that's what we need.

If LCD screen is blank, then clear all tasks for this printer and delete its driver from "Printers and Faxes". Now turn it off and on again. Do it untill "Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download" shows.

------------------------------------------

When we see "Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download" we should do as follows:

1) TURN PRINTER'S POWER OFF
(USB should stay connected)

2) Delete installed driver (if exists)

3) Manually install driver for M1522xx
(When choosing port, use one of "Virtual Printer Ports for USB" which is your printer connected to)

4) Run firmware update program from HP Support web page (PRINTER IS OFF)
(ex.:LJM1522_FW_Update-20080612.exe)

5) In firmware update program's window choose your printer (manually installed) and press "Send Firmware" button

6) Wait for firmware to be completely sent to your printer's task window

7) TURN YOUR PRINTER ON

8) First you will see "Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download" message. If there is no such message, turn off and on again untill it shows. Then message will change to "Downloading...", "Erasing..." and "Programming..."

9) When all this operations end, printer'll ask you to turn it off and on.

That's all. No need to contact HP Support or buy any parts.

P.S. While "Downloading...", "Erasing..." or "Programming...", printer may hang. It's not fatal. Just repeat all operations again.
To prevent hangs use quality USB cable when updating firmware.

P.P.S. Sorry for bad english. I'm russian...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Miguel Cinco
Message 6 of 19 (18,845 Views)

Thanks a lot Kodiak!, great contribution. I used your recommendations to fix a Laserjet 2820.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mihail Zagaevschi
Message 7 of 19 (18,845 Views)

thankssss Kodiak
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Adao Teixeira
Message 8 of 19 (18,845 Views)

I Kodiak, I have same problem with a CP2025dn, I did all steps as you wrote, but in "Erasing..." the printer hangs (I waited several minutes and nothing happens).

Did you recommend anything?

Thanks,
Adao
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Adao Teixeira
Message 9 of 19 (18,845 Views)

I replaced the printer that was still in warranty
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bobanj Attila
Message 10 of 19 (18,845 Views)

problem with firmware...

You must install your hp m1522nf printer driver manually,run update software,click on send firmware tab and wait for done.
before that you must remove the left cower of printer,you will see one free jumper,place a jumper P109. turn on printer,on display you will see "BOOTDIMM" in first line,second line ready 2 download,just for that wait for done.

Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
alexisjohn
Message 11 of 19 (17,664 Views)

I would add that you may need send the firmware several times for a successful transfer and once it is complete you will receive a message "Permanent Storage Init" for a couple of minutes, then the printer will restart a few times before the process is complete. The firmware upgrade process (downloading, erasing, programming) should happen fairly quickly without any significant delays (greater than a minute) if it does then the process is hanging and you need to send the firmware again.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
phoebius357
Message 12 of 19 (14,866 Views)

After running the firmware upgrade, the process remains stuck in "erasing..." forever. I quit after a dozen attempts. The printer is a LaserJet CP1525nw Color. OS is Windows 7 64-bit

Please use plain text.
Visitor
zumbapya
Message 13 of 19 (12,717 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Unfortunately I am also having the same problem after trying to upgrade the firmware of my CP1525nw came the nasty surprise!

First message: "CORRUPT FIRMWARE READY 2 DOWNLOAD" and then the other: "ERASING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" and then never left ... I'm almost a week still, with services late and nobody gives me a light.

The funny thing is that I called in Support of Hp and made me a lot of questions and for registration etc ... but in the end did not solve anything and if your machine is not under warranty they do not give you much attention, and that looks I have little more than a year of use.

Then at the end of the link me told me to contact a technician to my confidence to try to solve the problem.

How can I have a coach I trust if I never needed repairs on any printer in my life? Does anyone have the phone number of such technical confidence? Is JOKE right?

Only have one little problem, the service technician is not free and will cost, then it leads me to believe that this upgrade procedure is being done to damage our equipment! For me nothing but a trap, which is good because upgrade did not update just crashed.

How can we afford an expense being that the error is not ours?
We just got in the Official website of HP found that there was an update to be made, there was saying it was highly recommended to indicate that if we did this firmware update the machine would perform better and looks just as it did! Now here we are, with our printers stops!

A company in the global market so important to let this happen to your users, it really is absurd and a total disregard, I think it is a case of police (law).

Let us mobilize and try to do something about it, next week I will tell to justice here in my state about

what can be done to make this humiliating situation is resolved and will not happen again with other consumers.

If anyone wants me I'll be back in the waiting!

I really hope some measure / solution to this problem.

Manifesto here wishes for much indignation and once again I am grateful for the attention,

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 14 of 19 (12,709 Views)

You're obviously not happy but a public forum is not the place to make what appear to be threats or rally calls to the masses.

Try calling Samsung, IBM,  or any other company for a product that is out of warranty and you get the same response, why should HP be any different ?

You say an engineer will be at a cost, so are any other companies, one Major Satelite company wanted £250 to send an engineer to fault find at my house for the same reasons you state.

You're simply making a noise in an effort to get something for nothing, I notice you don't put the purchase date of your printer on the post ?

I would expect your post will be deleted as in fairness it carrys threats and accusations that if you cannot uphold them would place you at the point of litigation, not HP.

You say the firmware update is put on the web deliberately to damage equipment, this is slander and could make you liable for any damage caused by your statement.

This forum is a public forum, it's not HP tech support, you perhaps need to think on how you are going to say what you need to say before you put it on here.

Written word is legally binding so you're not helping yourself resolve this issue.

At the end of the day perhaps the worst scenario would be you need to replace your formatter or any firmware Dimm, hardly a high cost and certainly much cheaper than if you have opened yourself to any repercussions by making accusations.

I don't work for HP, but I've been a HP certified engineer for 30 years so my comments are my own.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Visitor
zumbapya
Message 15 of 19 (8,467 Views)

Senhor engenheiro,

O que eu estou apenas querendo dizer é que eu simplesmente fui informado pelo site da HP a fazer a atualização da impressora pelo próprio site, que isso traria benefícios quanto ao desempenho da impressora e o mesmo danificou permanentemente o equipamento que até então estava em perfeito funcionamento.

Será que tem como entender isso? Isso caracteriza dano material!

Não quero fazer aqui apologia a nada, só quero minha impressora funcionando novamente porque parece que ninguém escuta, mas eu vou repetir: A culpa não foi minha.

O pior é ter que ficar ouvindo essas baboseiras todas sem nenhuma solução plausível.

E ainda tem mais, já levei até um técnico especializado e fui informado de que o problema e com a placa lógica e eles não tem a peça para reposição e não consigo encontrá-la em nenhuma loja.

Onde consigo consertar minha impressora? Me dê um lugar, um número, qualquer coisa em Brasília-DF!

E você ainda vem me dizer que obviamente não sou feliz. Certamente não sou, pois minhas contas estão atrasadas, contas essas que pagava com o serviço de minha impressora que comprei com tanto sacrifício e que já esta danificada há quase 08 meses sem solução.

Pague minhas contas e quem sabe eu volte a ser uma pessoa feliz!

Grato!

Please use plain text.
RASHMI
Message 16 of 19 (8,460 Views)

@ zumbapya,

Thanks for using HP Forums!

We would like to encourage that this discussion should be continued in English language as this forums is a English construct-based communities as per the rules of participation (Rules(9) *see below for the url). Your post in English format will definitely help your other fellow participants to well-understand the issues and help you out regarding this.
* http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

HP Forums also supports few other languages for the same where you can select the language option located at the top right side of the EBC main page.

Thanks,
Rashmi
Forum Moderator
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gcas15
Message 17 of 19 (4,311 Views)

i have the same problem with a laserjet 100 mfp m175nw, what can i do..

Firmware corrupt

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Erik-Sweden
Message 18 of 19 (3,889 Views)

Printer "unknown device"--can't be a receiver of firmware

Our HP M2727nf has hung after a firmware update attempt.

I can get it (OK+Cancel during startup) to display "Bootdimm ready 2 Download" but when attaching the printer via USB, Win 7 displays it as an "Unknown Device" (generic USB hub, working properly). So I can't select it as a receiver of the firmware. Installing the driver, e.g. HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6, doesn't change this.

The USB port number is Port_#0006.Hub_#0005

Is there a way around this?

Help much appreciated,

Erik from Sweden

Please use plain text.
Visitor
dourt18
Message 19 of 19 (3,399 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have HP printer model M451nw all your instuction i fallow how to update the firmware corrupted ready 2 download from the start is ok when thetime erasing comes stop here ill tryed several time but still stop in the erasing. You have other option how to solve my problem. Thank you

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation