Faxing problems using comcast digital voice (3425 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Faxing problems using comcast digital voice

Hi I just switched to comcast and now have the digital voice- but as soon as I switched evertime I fax it get a communication error. I might be lucky to send 1-2 pages then it quits-comcast came today with no solution- I bought a second fax machine and still the same issue Mine are HP photosmart 2610 and hp fax 1250.
Somebody please help as I need to fax 50 pages!
Also before I switched I had absolutley no problem faxing. Thank you
Trusted Contributor
Message 2 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Re: Faxing problems using comcast digital voice

Hi SophiaNeuyzil,

to improve ability to send a fax over a VoIP change the Fax Speed to Medium (Setup>Advanced Fax Setup>Fax Speed>Medium).

Anyway, HP fax products are designed to work with ordinary analog phone service. Take a look:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00302247&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R...

Regards
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Thank you- Do you know of anyother brand fax machines that sre compatable with digital voice?? Thanks again for the help
Trusted Contributor
Message 4 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Sorry Sophia,

but I don't know what of fax brand garantees the fax over IP services.

Raghi
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Sophia,
Thank you for the post... I have the exact same problem and noone has been able to give me an explanation. I also have Comcast Digital Voice, and an HP 5610. Never had a problem... now I'm lucky if 20% of faxes make it through without a Comm Error. Wish Comcast and/or HP would let their Customers know their services are incompatible!!!
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 25 (3,425 Views)

You need to call comcast up and tell them to send signal through line- they are using at&t lines and they should be able to fix problem- I had called up and they said give them 72 hours on their end and viola it now works and i can send 20 pages at once now- just tell them you know this has been a problem for many people and there is a way to fix it on their end. both my faxes work perfectly fine now- I spent lots of maney at kinkos during this time0 hope it works out for you
Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Sophia,

Thank you for your reply... I have a tech coming Thursday.. I mentioned your " Signal Over Line " Advice, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Can you give me a little bit more specific information on what they did, or how I can ask them for it? I'm sick of driving the next town over to my office to have to fax a document!!! Thank you so much for your help.
Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 25 (3,425 Views)

Have you resolved your problem? I am in the same situation. Please forward any info you have so I can fix my problem.

Thank you
Occasional Advisor
Message 9 of 25 (3,425 Views)

I have a different VoIP provider, same problem. The easy fix was to switch from fast speed faxing to medium speed. I have not had a problem or error since I did that.

Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 25 (3,425 Views)

No Real Fix yet... I have used several of the attempted resolutions: Lower Transmission Speed to Medium, Turn off Error Correction Mode etc... not quite as many Comm Errors, but not a fix. Comcast is monitoring the line, and they have noted intermittent packet losses.. but they have not suggested a fix yet. Noone is yet able to give me a real fix, or a Fax machine that WILL work over IP... not " May " work over IP... not " Should " work over IP. Wish I had better news.
Occasional Visitor
Message 11 of 25 (3,423 Views)

Your fax machine is really not the problem as I have been doing it at high speed now too- Comcast had to fix it on their end- they send signal through phone lines and told me it should be fixed within 72 hrs--(Im guessing they had att come and do something with it as the phone lines arre still owned by at@t here--- I really wish to know what they did to fix it but they can you have to get on their case --

I still get cut off but its usually because someone is calling in at the same time- I also get more static now that the fax is fixed -but I NEED my faxing so Owell better than paying 300= to at&t who said i could not fax
Occasional Advisor
Message 12 of 25 (3,423 Views)

Try this as an experiment: Next time you get a communications error on a multipage document, resend manually from the machine instead of using the software. I have recently found that manual faxing is much more reliable than using the software.

I am using VoIP, too, but with VOIP-Your-Life.
Occasional Visitor
Message 13 of 25 (3,423 Views)

I also had the same issue, after trying the methods listed here with no luck (also Comcast Digital Voice) I found a solution which actually sounds pretty silly, but it worked... Find an old phone cable with only 2 wires, not the newer 4 wire phone cables. The minute I switched from 4 wire to 2 wire faxing worked without issues.

This works with a OJ 5610v and Comcast Digital Voice. Hope this helps others.
Occasional Visitor
Message 14 of 25 (3,423 Views)

There is NOONE at Comcast that will tell you that the service will work reliably. It MAY work... it COULD Work... but you will never know the faxes you do not get. You're best bet is to do what I did...save 35$ a month by getting an efax service like eFax or MyFax which will email you PDF's of your faxes, allow you to go back and view faxes from months ago.. email you confirmations of outgoing etc... Cost is about $10 for MyFax or $20 for eFax there are many others.
Valued Contributor
Message 15 of 25 (3,423 Views)

For some lines with digital services enabled, can be provided by the operator a line filter (microfilter), which is used to attach analog devices (the filter separates the low and high frequencies, so the analog and digital signals can be transmitted in the same line).

Verify if it's applicable to you, if nothing else helps.
ST 8016881194-8017080337-8016770493-8017176509-8017223950
Occasional Visitor
Message 16 of 25 (3,423 Views)

SUCCESS! After reading several posts, David H seems to have the answer. The newer standard phone cables have 4 pins. You only need the middle two for a standard fax. I cut the cable and spliced only the middle two wires together leaving the outside two separated. Taped together. Plugged it back in and VOILA. FAX WORKS!

Hope this helps other because it was driving me crazy. Explains why some people say it works (they plug into two wire jacks in home) and others dont!
Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 25 (3,423 Views)

I agree with Kristen - THANKS David H. After spending hours today with Comcast trying to get my HP fax to work I finally resorted to the internet in search of the answer. Thankfully I found it with these web postings. It's true you only need an older standard middle 2 pin cable, instead of the newer 4 pin cable for the HP fax to work.
Occasional Visitor
Message 18 of 25 (3,423 Views)

I used the solution suggested by David HC and connected my HP OfficeJet L7650 using a 2-line cord, not a 4-line cord, and it worked perfectly. Interestingly, the phone cord that came with the L7650 is a 2-line cord, but I didn't use it because I had another one laying around, and I didn't think it mattered.
Occasional Visitor
Message 19 of 25 (3,423 Views)

i'm having trouble figuring out how to connect my equipment back up since we switched to comcast digital voice. i follow the set up instructions, but if i do that i have no internet service or phone service. i understand that my all in one (5610) may not fax using VOIP, but i see some have gotten it to work.

i have a router, desktop pc and comcast modem that does voice and internet all-in-one. my phone at the pc desk doesn't have to be plugged into a jack (outlet only).

thanks for helping!
Honored Contributor
Message 20 of 25 (3,423 Views)

Melinda,

Try some of the recomended setups from this document from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=buu50333&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Post back if you have more questions.
Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
Occasional Visitor
Message 21 of 25 (3,419 Views)

My problem is a little different. I have no trouble sending faxes, but receiving is tricky. HP instructions say to set the number of rings HIGHER than the number used by your answering machine, but with VOIP voice mail, the incoming call is no longer audible to the HP Fax, so it never picks up the incoming fax. The only solution I know of is to set it the opposite way - that is, to have the fax pickup before voice mail, but you don't get any voice mails that way, a problem if you use your VOIP line for both incoming voice and fax calls. Does anyone have a solution?
Honored Contributor
Message 22 of 25 (3,419 Views)

Phil,

You might have to ditch your VOIP voicemail service for a physical answering machine. If the tone from the voicemail service is not detectable by your fax machine then you are out of luck. Your only other choice is to split your service into two dedicated lines, one for voice and the other for fax.

The Fax/Tel answer mode on your fax machine is designed to work with a physical answering machine anyways so you will likely have more success with one.
Occasional Visitor
Message 23 of 25 (3,419 Views)

I still have a fax machine which kicks in before the voicemail.

This allows incoming and outgoing faxes (after going to 2-wire phone cord, turning off error correction, and slowing down to 9600 baud.)

Occasional Visitor
Message 24 of 25 (3,419 Views)

I have always been using a two-wire line like some have suggested as a solution, so that did not work. I did back off to medium speed and the fax went through. I notice that ever since I switched to digital voice I can hear a lot of static on the line when the fax machine is dialing. I do not hear that static when I am on my phone on the same line, same phone jack, etc. And when I switched to medium speed the amount of line static decreased. Have no idea what that means.

Comcast told me if I want to use a fax machine I need to buy a fax line from them. There is a separate port for faxes on the digital voice cable modem, and I am supposed to buy another number from them and they will hook that port to a dedicated line to my fax machine. Not what I wanted to hear.
Honored Contributor
Message 25 of 25 (3,419 Views)

David,

Medium speed will increase the time it takes to send and recieve fax messages. Depending on the size of the fax message you may not even notice a difference. Slower speeds are more consistent and reliable then faster speeds.

Comcast can not garuntee that your fax machine will work with a dedicated line. Ask them to back up thier statement with a contract/trial period and I'd bet they wont do it. Comcast will still be providing you with a VOIP service and that is the real problem here. A shared VOIP line is no more stable than a dedicated VOIP line when it comes to HP fax machines.

If you cant get your faxing service to work with the tips provided in this thread then you should look into spending your money on a internet based faxing solution. Such examples are http://www.efax.com/ and http://www.myfax.com/ . Your money would be better spent on these external faxing services then with another dedicated phone line.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.