Error Scanner Failure on HP 7410 - Turn Power Off then On (2775 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Fireball
Message 1 of 22 (2,775 Views)
Accepted Solution

Error Scanner Failure on HP 7410 - Turn Power Off then On

I am having problems with my HP 7410 when I try to send a fax. When I push the start, it will startr to pull the first paper in and it gets about half way and then there is a bass-sounding whirl (electronic grunt) and then the message above shows up: Error - Scanner Failure - Turn Power Off then On.

I have tried to do the partial reset, no good;
I have connected the power directly, no good;
I have tried to send one page and two pages on different days, no good

EXCEPT today I was able to fax to my wife's business first a one pager then a two-pager and both went through normal.

SO thinking it will now work after all of the time and effort this past week, I tried to send a multi-page fax and it did the very same thing as it has been doing, pulling in first page part way and then ert and the message.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 2 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Re: Error Scanner Failure on HP 7410 - Turn Power Off then On

Hi,

Power cycle the printer.

Reset the printer.

If still persists, problem is with the Scanner assembly.

Chandan K.
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fireball
Message 3 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Is there a difference between Power cycle the printer and doing a partial reset?

If so, how does a person power cycle the printer?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 4 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Hi,

Yes, it is.

Power cycle:

1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power and disconnect the connection port.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug in the power only.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times.
5. On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the connection port from the all-in-one to your computer.

Partial reset is one kind of partially reset the printer.

Chandan K.
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
flyrickn
Message 5 of 22 (2,775 Views)

No, but I'm having the EXACT same problem. If it ends up being a hardware problem is it repairable or am I looking at a new machine? The printer is only a year old. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fireball
Message 6 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Mine is only a year old as well.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
James Shaji
Message 7 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Hi

Scanner failure error message comes up if the scanner bulb is not heated or voltage supplied to the bulb is less. Try connecting the printer directly to power rather connecting the printer through power surge protector.

Also check whether scanner bulb is lit. You can check by opening the scanner cover and pressing scan or copy key. If the scanner bulb is not lit I suggest contacting HP's support.

James
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
andmalc
Message 8 of 22 (2,775 Views)

The whirl sound you hear probably indicates a automatic document feeder motor failure. The scanner failure message is probably just a symptom of a power drain caused by the motor issue.

To prove this, tell us if, when you fax/scan/copy from the glass instead of from the feeder, you ever get the scanner failure message.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
flyrickn
Message 9 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Thanks for the help! It seems that it is a failure of the automatic document feeder motor b/c copying worked fine when I placed the document directly on the glass.

New question...is it repairable (can I replace the motor) or should I just live with scanning/copying one page at a time?

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ulises Moreno Ramon
Message 10 of 22 (2,775 Views)

Unfortunately it seems like that is not something replaceable
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
flyrickn
Message 11 of 22 (2,776 Views)

Well that bad, especially since the printer is just over a year old. In any case, thanks for the assist!
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
andmalc
Message 12 of 22 (2,776 Views)

I believe the document feeder unit is a separate part (though not the motor itself) that is user-installable. Contact HP Parts for a price.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Jagannadh
Message 13 of 22 (2,776 Views)

Hi Fire ball,
Please perform the steps in the document below and check the result.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00254485&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
summitpros
Message 14 of 22 (2,776 Views)

I've had the same problem. If you Google "HP Scanner Failure 7410" you'll see it is rather common. Google results will yield various solutions but none worked for me. I've tried reset, power cycyle, etc. with no results. Fortunately my printer is still under warranty, so HP is replacing it. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Yazji
Message 15 of 22 (2,776 Views)

When it makes the "whirl" noise... life up the cover, see if the scanner carriage is all the way to the left, or stuck in the middle.

I have a very similiar issue.... singles pages on the glass work because the carriage moves slower, but when you use the ADF, it flies over to the left quickly, and the carriage jams up.

This printer is just a few weeks out of warranty.
Please use plain text.
dpt
Occasional Visitor
dpt
Message 16 of 22 (2,776 Views)

same problem here, i'll check the purchase date to see if its fixable. Seems like a very common problem so if I have to buy another it will be something different.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Midkiff
Message 17 of 22 (2,776 Views)

I am also having the same problem. Sounds like a quality control issue. Is there any help from HP on this? Printer is out of warranty.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Voots
Message 18 of 22 (2,776 Views)

I am having the same problem: the scanning function from the automatic feeder is not working, but I can scan just fine if I use the manual glass base to scan documents. My machine feeds a piece of paper about 1/3 of the way through, and then I hear a loud "whirring" noise, and get a scanner failure error message. It does seem like the scanner light carriage just stops half way in the middle of the glass base, and am I correct in thinking in that it should go all of the way over to the left to scan documents from the automatic feeder? Also, my warranty just ran out last week, and it started going goofy this week. What a nice bit of coincidence.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
feldmrob
Message 19 of 22 (2,776 Views)

Saying a 7410 has quality control issues is the understatement of the year. Mine is displaying the scanner failure behavior, and I've had it less than an hour. HP just sent it to me as a replacement for one that suffered another very common problem, a broken plastic tab that holds the retaining spring inside the printer carriage. They see so many of those failures that they replaced it out of warranty. Believe it or not, that one was a replacement for the original one, which had a bad power supply. So, I'm about to waste another 3 hours on the phone, with the best possible outcome being HP will send me a FOURTH printer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Davide Davi
Message 20 of 22 (2,776 Views)

Lucky who was able to get the printer replaced. It is bad that HP knows about this technical issue and keeps silent. I got the very same issue only a couple of months after warranty expiration and the "deal" is a printer replacement for $369.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
timjmcg
Message 21 of 22 (2,773 Views)

I had the exact same problem and it was extremely frustrating. I contacted Americas Customer Support and they extended my warranty to cover its repair which cost about $250. Way to go HP. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J. B
Message 22 of 22 (2,773 Views)

I've had my 7410 all-in-one for many years and recent experienced the same problem/symptoms. I found the post copied below and it worked. Issues resoleved.

02-13-2011 07:32 PM
Hello vgsmith-I found the solution to our/Fax/Copy problem in the OJ7410 User Guide you have the OJ7410 User Guide,see pages 194-199. Otherwise,the problem is caused by dirty Rollers and Separator pad. The solution is to clean both items with a lintless cloth and distilled water. If this doesn't correct the problem,clean with rubbing alcohol. This requires removing the auto feeder tray and face plate to expose the rollers and separator pad. HP has the User Guide on one of it's web pages. My problem was corrected by following the instructions. However,I cleaned the items with alcohol prior to re installing to avoid having to perform the job with alcohol if cleaning with water did not correct the problem.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation