Re: Envelope--flap is sealing when envelope is printed (270 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Margaret Westburg
Message 1 of 5 (386 Views)

Envelope--flap is sealing when envelope is printed

I have a color laser printer #3600n. When I print an envelope the flap is sealed when it comes out. How do I fix this?
Occasional Visitor
Bob Tournier
Message 2 of 5 (386 Views)

Re: Envelope--flap is sealing when envelope is printed

While there is undoubtedly an "envelope specification" in the printer documentation, I have had the best luck with peel-and-seal envelopes with vertical seams. The fuser softens the glue on conventional envelopes (thus sealing them) and (at least in my printer) diagonal seamed envelopes tend to jam.
Valued Contributor
Natalie Lewis
Message 3 of 5 (386 Views)

Are you using envelopes specifically for laserjets? If you aren't you are just going to damage the fusing assembly.
HP Pro
tiffarific
Message 4 of 5 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try using the envelopes with the peel-off adhesive instead of the lick-able type.  

As far as damage to the printer goes, as long as the adhesive stays inside the envelope (the flap doesn't expose the adhesive while it goes through the rollers) the worst case is a jam. 

I work for HP!
HP Pro
ApolloXIII
Message 5 of 5 (270 Views)

If you happen to live in an area with high humidity levels. the envelopes may be absorbing the mositure from the air, which could lead to the envelopes sealing during the fusing process.

I have two suggestions

1.  Store envelopes in a sealed container with some silica gel to absorb moisture.

2.  I have heard of people microwaving their envelopes to "cook off" the moisture.  I don't know if that really works or not.

I think the sealed container & silica gel is probably the best way to go.

Say Thanks by clicking the thumbs up icon.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.