Cannot install drivers for HP Laserjet 1212nf MFP (94 Views)
Occasional Visitor
nperalta--
Message 1 of 3 (94 Views)

Cannot install drivers for HP Laserjet 1212nf MFP

[ Edited ]

Hi;

I am using Windows XP SP3 and I am installed this printer on it and for the first few tries when I wanted to scan everything was ok, but then it started giving me errors, such as "unable to communicate with the scanner" when trying to scan a document.

I then tried to uninstall the printer, erase all TEMP files, reboot and reinstall from the full driver found in HP Website for this printer and my OS, but the process gets stuck at "a new hardware is now connected".  I let the message on for about 15 minutes and it never went through with the installation.

Trying to reinstall again after another reboot gave the same problem.

The printer works fine with the default Windows driver to scan with the Scanner Wizard from Windows, but the dedicated driver for this machine is unable to install.

Has anyone encountered this problem?  Does anyone has a fix or a hint?

Thank you in advance for your help!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Printers – LaserJet  to  Multifunction and All-in-One. -HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Oldscout
Message 2 of 3 (63 Views)

Re: Cannot install drivers for HP Laserjet 1212nf MFP

Are you using the drivers from the disk or downloaded from HP?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 3 of 3 (61 Views)

Re: Cannot install drivers for HP Laserjet 1212nf MFP

Sounds like you are using the most recent drivers for WinXP and this printer.  If the scanning driver is getting stuck then perhaps you have not completly cleaned up all of the files necessary for a good install.  Many times the imaging services from HP leave shrapnel behind after performing an uninstall that can interfere with the next installation attempt.

Try this approach:

1. Uninstall all HP software from Add/Remove programs

2. Delete the C:\program files\HP and C:\program files\Hewlett Packard folders

3. Search the installation files for any Scrubber utilities.  These can normally be found under the root\util\ccc or root\Utilities folders.

4. Remove any drivers installed under Server Properties from the Printers and Faxes window. 

5. Reboot

6. Run the installation wizard from HP located in the installation files you downloaded from HP

7. Do not plug in the printer until instructed to do so by the installation wizard

If you get stuck at the part where the devices are getting installed:

8. Open Device Manager

9. Search for any unrecognized devices

10. Right click and select upgrade driver

11.  Point the Hardware Wizard to the installation folder

If all the devices are installed in Device Manager and the wizard still does not finish:

12. Search for the installation log

13. Should be somewhere like C:\Documents and Users\userId\AppData\Temp

14. Organize the temp folder by date and search for any HPxxxx.log files

15. Review the log to find where the install errored and post it for us to review

Hopefully this process will demonstrate that an install usually fails in 2 critical areas.  The first is the installation of the devices in Device Manager.  The second is the registration and installation of the software.  Pending on where you get stuck you have to focus your attention in one place or the other.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation