Re: CM6040mfp Color copy quality issues (746 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 1 of 10 (1,155 Views)
Accepted Solution

CM6040mfp Color copy quality issues

When making color copies, the black is faded to a brownish color.  The gray scales look pinkish.  When printing to the printer quality is excellent.  When I print a supply status page the colors are perfect.  The black, cyan, magenta and yellow colors are solid and true.  I get the same results when copying from the ADF or directly from the glass.  All this information leads me to believe that the issue is with the scanner.  Could it be a dirty scanner?  According to the service manual, it looks like it takes quite a few steps to remove the document glass to access the scanner and I did not want to go through all that unless it was absolutely necessary.  I have not yet ran the scanner calibration because Tray 1 is not accessible the way the machine is positioned. Do you think that doing the calibration would fix this issue?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Pier3v
Message 2 of 10 (1,153 Views)

Re: CM6040mfp Color copy quality issues

I am pretty sure that a scanner calibration will solve your problem.

Run it and post the results please.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 3 of 10 (1,151 Views)

I will do it on Monday and report back.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 4 of 10 (1,142 Views)

Update:  I ran the scanner calibration twice and the quality of the copies improved.  The customer is happy now.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 5 of 10 (1,117 Views)

Spoiler

I received a note from my customer telling me that this machine is producing poor quality copies again.  The problem is essentially the exact same as it was before.  Any ideas?  I think my next step would be to remove the glass and clean the scanner mirrors.  Has anyone else out there seen this problem on these machines?  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Scouty12
Message 6 of 10 (1,105 Views)

Spoiler

I checked this printer again today.  The first thing I did was print a supplies status page which printed perfectly.  I made a copy of it and the copy quality was terrible.  I ran a scanner calibration and the quality improved by quite a bit but it was still very poor.  I cleaned the scanner mirror which actually did not appear to be dusty.  No change after doing that (I was not too surprised).  I had a firmware upgrade download on my laptop for this machine so I decided to send it to the machine just to see if it changed anything.  Much to my surprise, replacing the firmware dated 20101206 with firmware version 20100306, it fixed the issue.  I copied the supplies status page again and you could barely tell which one was the copy and which one was the original.

I once again consider this issue resolved.  Has anyone else seen this problem on these units?

Thanks again for all your input. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
chris Lansdown
Message 7 of 10 (795 Views)

Hi

I am seeing this. Let me know something are all the supplies OEM drums and OEM toners, meaning HP originals?

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 10 (790 Views)

>are all the supplies OEM drums and OEM toners, meaning HP originals?

Or HP branded.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 9 of 10 (746 Views)

The comments about firmware downgrade are applicable as there is a mention that HP are looking into this for firmware 52.121.2 and newer (Datecode 20101206 onwards) - previous firmware does not show this issue.

In this scenario the scan to email/folder is OK, the copy function deteriorates.

A workaround was suggested in setting the copy mode as :

Press Copy

then MORE (down arrow)

Optimize Text/Picture

SElect Photograph

Select OK

If copy quality is OK then use this as a workaround until a solution is published .

If you update to current firmware you cannot downgrade so be aware of this in case you upgrade, you can only downgrade below 20120119 (52.191.2)

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
joeys
Message 10 of 10 (106 Views)

Hey guys,

So Kevin is right on this one the problem is within the Firmware. After weeks of fighting this issue and a couple of phone calls to Tech support still no resolution. Here is a list of what ive tried, NVRam Clear, Copy board, scanner controler board, Memory DIMM on copy board, Cleaning optics and reseating cables. No resolution but the work around. Hopefully HP Post a fix for this. Had I know the copy function worked great before I did an upgrade on a general PM call I would have looked there in the first place. Thank for the info out there!!!!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation