Re: CM6030 MFP scanner fan always on (976 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 10 (1,511 Views)

CM6030 MFP scanner fan always on

Hello,

just upgraded my CM6030MFP to the latest firmware (52_190_1B). The process completed without errors and the machine works, but the scanner fan is now always on at full speed. It turns off only when the printer is in sleep mode.

I've tried a cold reset but without success.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Thanks.

Occasional Collector
Message 2 of 10 (1,478 Views)

Re: CM6030 MFP scanner fan always on

Hello,

We have had the exact same issue. 3 of our CM6040s were upgraded to that version of the firmware, and now on all 3 of them the fan stays permenantly on.

We spoke to HP about this. The first guy asked us to take a photo of one of the fans. We said no, because surely they know what parts are in their own printers. He then said that he'd send out a replacement fan. We said no, that isn't the problem. The fan isn't broken, it's just that this version of the firmware causes it to stay on. We repeated again that printers with 52_190_1B have this issue, and those with the earlier version don't, and that we can't roll back the firmware due to the new authentication measures built in to the latest version.

Eventually, after it going up the chain a few times, someone said that a new version of the firmware would be out on a couple of weeks. We shall see.

Liam

Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 10 (1,450 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same problem...

After upgrading firmware to new version 52.190.1B on my several CM6030/6040 MFP, the fan is always on until they go in sleep mode.

Any solution?

Occasional Collector
Message 4 of 10 (1,435 Views)

I have now tried upgrading to 52.191.2 and the problem remains, so I'll see if I have any luck shouting at HP again.

Occasional Collector
Message 5 of 10 (1,434 Views)

Here is what HP have to say:

"The fans were (by mistake) completely turned off from firmware released 10.2 (June 2010). There is a theory that many of the scanner communication errors could be related to the lack of air flow to the SCB; we found back in November 2011 that the fans were totally OFF and not even recognized by the system. From 10.2 version and before 11.3, you can actually unplug the fans from the scanner power supply and you will not get an error code; so it was decided to turn them ON as part of our efforts to make the CM6040 a more reliable product.
Anyway, I will write down the White Paper and publish it to TechWeb.

bottom line, the printer works as designed ;-)
no reason for to escalate or elevate cases."

I'm surprised there isn't a thermometer or something inside the printer to detect the temperature, so that the fan only comes on when it is needed.

Occasional Advisor
Message 6 of 10 (1,399 Views)

Same problem  with 52.191.2, hopefully in the next update!

Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 10 (1,364 Views)

Hello,

I've solved the problem because HP sent me a new formatter with the older 52.132.6 firmware, and since then I've not upgraded to 52_190_1B or 52_191_2.

If the scanner fan always on is intentional, then I think HP should seriously reconsider this decision, because the machine is so noisy as to be almost unbearable, also there is absolutely NO need to keep the fan on when the scanner is not in use.

If the system is unable to set the fan speed depending on the actual temperature, at least the fan should be turned on ONLY when the scanner is operating, not always.

Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 10 (1,259 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem. The fan is running all the time, even if the scanner

is not used. I think HP should fix this, because the fan is too noisy.

To the comment by "HP":

>so it was decided to turn them ON as part of our efforts to make the CM6040 a more reliable product.

Thanks for the effort., but honestly, if I would have the choice to downgrade the firmware

(which I can't because of the new signing mechanism) I would not hesitate to do it.

Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 10 (1,110 Views)

I just installed fw 52_200_4.

First tests show that the problem is solved.

From the changelog:

>This firmware provides fixes or improvements for following issues:

>[...]

>After upgrading to 52.180.5 or newer firmware, users may experience excessive noise created by Control >Panel or SCB fans.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 10 (976 Views)

I've installed the lastest firmware and the issue is indeed solved. No more unbearable fan noise.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.