Re: CM4540 Communication lost (device <-> control panel) (3000 Views)
Occasional Collector
ntwrk80
Message 1 of 9 (3,969 Views)

CM4540 Communication lost (device <-> control panel)

We have two CM4540s, one had a hard disk failure and since the other one hadn't been unpacked yet, we used it's hard drive to keep the other working until the spare showed up today.  I put the new drive into the new unit and powered it up and got the Error Communication lost (device <-> control panel).  I've tried unsuccessfully to get into the pre-boot menu to load the firmware to the disk.

I've attached a photo of the error.  Any next step ideas are greatly appreciated.

--

Benjamin Story, CCSP, CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CCDA
Senior Network Administrator
Passavant Area Hospital

Occasional Advisor
aidan grey
Message 2 of 9 (3,909 Views)

Re: CM4540 Communication lost (device <-> control panel)

The attached file is another person with a similar issue.

I wonder if the error may mean that the control panel and the scanner can't communicate?  If so, it might be possible to do a firmware update through the EWS.

Updating the firmware should put the drive and all subsystems to a working code level.

Can you print to this MFP, or access its EWS?

Aidan Grey

Occasional Collector
ntwrk80
Message 3 of 9 (3,907 Views)

In our case we weren't able to access the EWS or the pre-boot menu.  We finally had to get a new hard disk module.

--

Benjamin Story, CCSP, CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CCDA
Senior Network Administrator
Passavant Area Hospital

HP Pro
takasan
Message 4 of 9 (3,500 Views)

Hi ntwrk80,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your control panel. In this printer the control panel communicates with the formatter (printer's brain) through the scanner so you may want to check the scanner cable connection on the back side of the printer and make sure is well connected and then power cycle. If that does not correct the problem, I'd suggest a FW upgrade in case you have not done it already. If that does not fix the problem yet, you will probably need to replace/order the scanner as you cannot order the USB cable that connects the control panel by itself because it comes with the whole scanner.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I work for HP
HP Pro
SecurePrinting
Message 5 of 9 (3,495 Views)

The hard drive you put into the device has the original firmware that shipped with the printer.  If you have upgraded the firmware on the printer since they were originally shipped then it is likely the legacy firmware on the Hard Drive cannot communicate with the newer scanner/control panel drivers. 

To fix this you can:  Use the pritner the hard drive shipped with and upgrade the device to current firmware and then switch the hard drive, or try and upgrade the firmware from the EWS or WJA.

Jen

I work for HP.
-- Give me Kudos by clicking the purple counter if this helped!
Advisor
viv_anil
Message 6 of 9 (3,477 Views)

Hello there,

Follow below mentioned steps and that should help you resolve the problem

Turn off the printer and reseat the formatter board for couple of times

On these machines, there is a USB cable at the rear of the control panel try reseating the same to make sure it is connected firmly

Check the heart beat LED on the formatter board.  IF you don't see any light flashing, the first suspect is the formatter board

If replacing the formatter does not resolve the problem, then we need to check the following parts and replace if necessary

Bad USB Connection at the ICB

Bad Control Panel

Bad ICB

Do let me know the results.

HP Pro
takasan
Message 7 of 9 (3,006 Views)

There is a USB that connects the scanner to the control panel. You can try re-seating the usb on the back side of the control panel and also on the scanner board and see if that fixes the problem.

If the problem persist I would think you have a defective USB cable and unfortunately the usb cable cannot be ordered as it  difficult to route it within the scanner so you will need to replace te scaner/adf assembly that comes with the usb cable.

hope this help.

I work for HP
HP Pro
Raghu K   Russel
Message 8 of 9 (3,000 Views)

This error occurs when the Control Panel can no longer communicate with the formatter. Perform the following steps:

-Power down and reseat the formatter

-Reseat the USB cable connection at the rear of the control panel (swing the control panel up 90 degrees for better access).

-Power on. Does the message reappear in 20 – 30 seconds?

If yes, check the Heartbeat LED on the formatter. Is it flashing? If no, then replace the formatter.

-If the formatter Heardbeat LED is flashing, then the Communication Lost could also be caused by either Bad USB connection at the ICB, Bad Control panel or Bad ICB.

Thank you!

I am an HP Employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!
Occasional Visitor
tep1981
Message 9 of 9 (899 Views)

I am also having this issue

The heartbleed light is not lit and neither is the Ethernet port, long story short in my case the hard drive seems to be causing the issue as I've tried many variables in swapping over components and the only constant part to fail every time was the hard drive

The drive seems to be encrypted so I cannot read the contents, is it simply a case of installing a new hard drive and downloading the latest firmware or will I have to seek a direct replacement from HP?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.