4345 hard drive question? (3790 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Corey Dorman
Message 1 of 6 (3,790 Views)

4345 hard drive question?

Hello. I have a mfp4345 and I started to get an error message that through research indicated a bad hard drive. I searched for the replacement and was given part number; toshiba HDD2187. I installed the new drive and tried to follow the steps to initialize and format but I am now getting a new message "internal disk not functional". I called HP tech and they said it might be because I need drive model number J7948-61031. The replacement drive I installed matches the bad drive that I removed originally. The new recommended drive is quite a bit more money, does anyone have any suggestions, Thank you....Corey
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Canuck
Message 2 of 6 (3,790 Views)

Re: 4345 hard drive question?

I have been able to use generic hard drives without problems. If you are having problems confirm that the new drive is error free and has no data or partitions on it before you try to initialize it. It should not necessarily need to be the same model or size of hard drive.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Corey Dorman
Message 3 of 6 (3,790 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the exact same hard drive that was originally in the printer. NO luck, I just got off the phone with the place that sold me the drive and they said it will not work because the drive from Hp numbered J7948-61031 comes with the firmware already installed and partitioned, is this true or have you had to do anything special with the generic hard drives to get them to work? I have a feeling if I order this drive it will be the exact one I have already but with pre-installed firmware. Its a bit pricey too. Thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Canuck
Message 4 of 6 (3,790 Views)

I have never had a problem using used several brands, different sizes, no preformatting necessary, best to have sanitized the drive first or remove any partitions. The initialization process if successful should create the file structure on the drive. You could try doing a firmware upgrade before or after you install the hard drive if it does not work. There may be a size limitation but I have not tried anything bigger than 40 GB, yet.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Riley
Message 5 of 6 (3,769 Views)

I believe I am having a problem with the HD in my 4345.  Bought a new 80GB drive, installed, and get the message INTERNAL DISK NOT INITIALIZED.  Any thoughts on why this might be occuring?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 6 (3,766 Views)

You have to initialize the hard disk to make it functional in the printer.  See the attached for instructions.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation