ZR30w blinks off - overheating? (6699 Views)
Occasional Visitor
itypeme
Message 26 of 60 (2,914 Views)

Re: ZR30w blinks off - overheating?

I have a similar problem, on two monitors and still going. 1. My ZR24w purchased April/2010 started flickering during cold weather (around 50°F, which is not that cold at all). It would stay blank until the monitor was warm enough then flicker for 5-10 min or so before it stayed on. ^ I contacted HP about the issue above and they sent out a replacement panel today. 2. My replacement panel now has a different problem, it would flicker/blink at random and would not stop for 20-30 min. This is ridiculous, my original was actually better where after the monitor warmed up it would be very steady. I've replaced all the cable and even video cards, for problem 1 it was obvious that it was a temperature problem but problem 2 just looks like I have a defective panel. The panel would flicker/blink even when I unplugged the DVI cable. The monitor is in the "cant find a source" state and still blinking on/off!! I purchased this monitor from HP directly. I'm very very dissatisfied with my purchase.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
itypeme
Message 27 of 60 (2,913 Views)

I'm on my 1st replacement received today and it blinks just like described by the other members here. My original panel had a similar problem. Why is HP sending out the same broken monitors...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
itypeme
Message 28 of 60 (2,911 Views)

I just wanted to add that my problem is not isolated to the cable or video card, all my other monitors work fine (TN panels). When I unplug everything except the power cord the monitor would still be flickering/blinking for up to 20 minutes.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 29 of 60 (2,891 Views)

I may have posted prematurely and been dealing with a new installation issue of the GTX580 with a fresh install of the nVidia video driver.  I saw the screen flicker one time two days ago and might have over reacted.  I was using drivers 263.09 for a day and now using beta drivers 266.35 with no flickering issue other than that one time.  If I get a sequence of flickering, I will report it back to the forum.  But so far, so good :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
NordicPC
Message 30 of 60 (2,871 Views)

We just received the replacement monitor, the warranty states a tech will come and replace the monitor (I prefer their supposed tech stay away) :womanmad: and that's what HP Tech support stated.

Much to my surprise no tech showed up, just the monitor! Happy day for me! I am waiting for the user to come in and give it a try. Hopefully we get lucky, shouldn't have to hope for luck on something that costs this much but it is what it is.

Crossing fingers...  :smileyhappy:

Hardware Geek
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
NordicPC
Message 31 of 60 (3,186 Views)

TinksMeOfF,

I also tried different drivers that SEEMED to make a difference but it turned out to be a coincidence, try the monitor on another computer. If the problem is in the unit, it will show up again, we got 2 weeks of no blinking, several days of blinking no matter what we did and then another week of no blinking after I changed drivers.

Problem still showed up. GUYS AND GALS, I'M WRITING THIS IN CAPS SO IT GETS NOTICED. WHEN THE SCREEN BLINKS PLEASE CHECK THE POWER LED AND SEE IF IT'S BLUE, IF DURING NORMAL OPERATION THE LED LOOKS TO BE OFF AND WHEN IT BLINKS THE LED TURNS BLUE THEN YOU HAVE THE SAME ISSUE I HAVE AND IT IS HARDWARE.

Please post back if this is what happens when the screen blinks, thanks!

Hardware Geek
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
NordicPC
Message 32 of 60 (3,185 Views)

[ Edited ]

Replacement monitor is blinking, starting to get a bit pissed off.... calling Tech Support.. :robotmad:

EDIT: I have tried both monitors on another system using Dual-Link DVI, same issue. This is just expensive junk...

EDIT #2: Downloaded the ZR30w Windows 7 x64 May driver from HP's website and it made no difference. I called my CDW guy and escalated with them. 

Right now I have the DP cable plugged directly into his laptop which seems to be working ok for now, only one blink so far.

Hardware Geek
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Intr0spect1ve
Message 33 of 60 (3,170 Views)

I was the 2nd poster in this thread. Just to keep everyone informed: after three montitors with the same defect, my supplier was able to send the monitors back to HP and got a refund. So I was able to purchase an alternative monitor. I now have four 30 inch monitors from another brand, that all function perfectly for weeks now.

My guess is that HP hopes people give up, and accept the blinking after some time. My supplier told me that I was the only customer they had that complained. I think there is bigger chance that the other customers accepted the problem (or think it's related to their hardware) then that they don't experience the problem.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
NordicPC
Message 34 of 60 (3,168 Views)

[ Edited ]

Agreed, I however will take this to whomever I can at HP, 3 in a row is disgusting and tells me this is a much larger issue. I talked this user into buying an HP monitor after using Dell 24" monitors for years and it stung me.

Apparently we aren't allowed to plug our business, my signature was edited and nothing was said to me about if I broke a rule or not. Thanks HP.  :smileysad:

Hardware Geek
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Minu
Message 35 of 60 (3,099 Views)

You may log the call with HP using the below link for your product

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportResources.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=38208...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 36 of 60 (3,006 Views)

OK, I read thru this thread 'again' and noticed hardly anybody attempted to use a different video card to solve the blinking issue.  It has been over two weeks now since I upgraded a nVidia GTX 285 (that blinked with this LCD) to a GTX 580 that has not blinked.  Whether a nVidia GTX 4xx series (430,450,460,470.480) will blink is to be determined by anybody's input out there.  There are GTX 580 and GTX 570 cards out now by Palit and Gainward that have a Displayport Output on the Video card as well as a DVI-D for those interested.  I personally purchased 1 Galaxy GTX 580 (DVI-D) and 1 EVGA GTX 580 (DVI-D) in SLI.  After a week of use, I have swapped slots for both cards so that the Monitor has been plugged into both brands.  I still get no blinking since the upgrade no matter what the Monitor and MB Slot it is plugged into.  Hope this helps anybody figuring out what to do with your current purchase :smileyindifferent:

One person had a ATI/AMD card using Displayport without issue either.  My system specs are as follows

CASE ANTEC 900 (ver 1) -- MB EVGA E760-A1 X58 -- Classified -- CPU INTEL|CORE I7 975 3.33G OC'd @ 29x133 3.9Ghz -- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB SDRAM 1866 @ 9.9.9.24  STD  --  GTX580 SLI (GALAXY-top\EVGA-bottom --both backplate\HFbracket) -- PSU CORSAIR 1000HX -- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm -- 2 WD Caviar HD WD6401AALS 640GB RAID 0 -- 1 WD Caviar HD WD6401AALS 640GB data drive -- SB XFi PCIe Titanium / Bose 201's & Klipsch Sub -- HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD Monitor -- Windows 7 64bit Premium

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tommyleeh
Message 37 of 60 (2,670 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, I think I finally got to the bottom of it...

As others have posted, I think the problem is with certain video cards.

I ditched my GTX 285 in favour of an ATI 5870 (official apple version) - blinking appears to be gone! (well, so far, I will post again if I get problems).

I have a 2009 Mac Pro.  Before I would see the blinking both in OS X as well as bootcamped into Windows 7.  Everything seems to be good now.

The only other thing that is different is that I now have the ZR30w connected by displayport.

In any case, I am much happier now.  I'm running 3 monitors off the 5870 (24" Dell 2407WFP via DVI, 30" ZR30w via display port, and 19" HP w1907 via display port to VGA converter).

Does everyone with blinking problems have Nvidia GTX 285 cards - I noticed a few of us have had problems with these cards... If so, may want to consider a change...

Tommy.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
brandonc4x4
Message 38 of 60 (2,601 Views)

What video card are you using?  What kind of connection (displayport or dvi-d)?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
brandonc4x4
Message 39 of 60 (2,601 Views)

What video card were you using before and what did you replace it with that fixed the problem?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
maddmixer
Message 40 of 60 (2,594 Views)

[ Edited ]

I posted to this thread last October and stated that I was 99% sure I resolved my issue by replacing my video card. At the time I wasn't 100% sure because it had only been 2 days. I meant to post again to confirm my results. I have not had the problem since I swapped out the card, so I am 100% sure, and have been since last year  that I solved my problem.

I also suspect there is a high probability my root cause is the same for many if not all of the people still having the problem. The only thing I know for certain is getting replacement monitors is not the answer and it surprises me that so many posters did it more than once, given that I haven't found one documented post of that solution working for anybody.

I don't have the exact details of the solution. I don't know if it was the monitor, or my old card, but there was an incompatibility between them. I also do not recall the make and model of my new card because I bought it so long ago. But It shouldn't matter because the card I got might not be compatible in another system for a multitude of reasons.

The point is people should be looking  at either their video drivers or their cards for the solution before anything else.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 41 of 60 (2,541 Views)

My last post was on 1-20-2011 and wanted to confirm  as of this posting that the issue has gone away since upgrading the Video Card.  I have read other forums where they had the blinking issue with nVidia GTX 260 and 280 Video Cards.  My issue was with the GTX 285.  I have seen others upgrade with GTX 400 series (namely gtx 470) and the issue went away.  Many people are having issues on the nVidia side of things with the GTX 2xx series cards but not with the 4xx or 5xx.  Some ATI cards were having issues with the Display Port but not DVI connection using the same card. 

At least we are finding the solution :manwink:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
David Greig
Message 42 of 60 (2,521 Views)

I purchased three of these monitors a few weeks ago and all are blinking randomly anywhere from 20 times a day to twice a week. All three monitors were manufactured on different dates as well.

They are all connected to HP Z800 workstations with Quadro FX 3800 cards, various driver revisions make zero difference. I would assume it is some incompatibility issue with the display and certain graphics cards (mostly Nvidia it seems). Changing the graphic cards in these workstations is not a road I want to go down and spending lots of money on new cards in the hope that this will fix the issue is not a solution.

I fear from reading the posts in this forum that the only solution is to return them to HP and purchase 30" monitors from a manufacturer that tests for product defects/incompatibility issues more rigorously .

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
arthurpjohnson
Message 43 of 60 (2,474 Views)

Same problem here. Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 930 processor, nVidia GTX260 processor. Strange I've seen no complaints from users of other graphics processors.

NOTE: My monitor is hooked up to a switch box, so I can alternate sources between my Windows machine and MacBook Pro with nVidia 330m. The Windows Desktop is Dual-Link DVI at all points, while the MacBook Pro requires an (expensive!) dual-link DVI-to-mini-displayport.

Here's the strange part: I get blinks frequently using my Desktop, while the MacBook Pro goes blink-free!

Hypothesis: There MAY be something in the nVidia windows software (or hardware) that doesn't play nice with my Monitor. Certainly, you need a very solid data flow to make the 2560x1600 work -- and possibly the nVidia drivers are pushing too hard for speed. 

If anyone is getting blinks from a MacBook or an ATI gpu, please chime in prove me wrong. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
arthurpjohnson
Message 44 of 60 (2,472 Views)

@TinksMeOff, I see you had issues with some ATI cards, so scratch that part of the hypothesis. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
David Greig
Message 45 of 60 (2,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just to let you know I changed the connection method from dual link dvi-d to display port and  it has made zero difference, monitors are still randomly blinking off.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ndfan190
Message 46 of 60 (2,397 Views)

I've got an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and have the same blinking problem. I'm running it on Dual Link DVI-D.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 47 of 60 (2,377 Views)

It is the older cards having the issue with blinking.  Upgrade to the latest version / model video card that you prefer.  Again, the nVidia 4xx &  5xx Video Cards don't have this issue, only the nVidia 2xx Cards blink.  ATI owners need to reference helpful people on this thread

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bripley81
Message 48 of 60 (2,347 Views)

I have a HP ZR30w monitor manufactured in April 2010. It took me a while to get it working because I relaized my laptop does not support the 2560x1600 resolution over DVI so the monitor would not even turn on. Thankfully it does support the resolution over DisplayPort and I was able to get it working. Unfortunately now I have a terrible blinking problem as many others have described. When I first power up, there is no blinking, but after about 5 minutes it starts, a couple times a minute, increasing to about 1 flicker per second after about 10 minutes. The flickers are a full blank-out for a fraction of a second to partial distortion of the screen. I am an electrical engineer and have worked on high-speed electrical design and it looks like the monitor is loosing sync with the video card and it blanks out or loses sync in part of the frame and then distorts the remainder of the frame. It makes perfece sense that various hardware combinations will correct, or cause this failure; different video cards will have different amounts of margin on the high-speed electrical timing and some will be worse than others. From the sounds of it, the monitors are pretty similar, as it would make sense since they probably have not changed the PCB design, so swapping video cards may help, but swapping for different ZR30w monitors will likely not. I have tried two different display port cables and am going to see if I can get a very, very short display port cable. Very short cables should have less distortion at high-speed and may allow the display to work. FYI: I am using a Lenovo T410 laptop with Intel HD integrated graphics and have tried the ports from the docking station and the port on the side of the laptop and have seen the same results. I am very disappointed in HP for the lousy electrical design of this monitor and will very likely end up getting a different brand monitor.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Heids24
Message 49 of 60 (2,307 Views)

TinksMeOfF wrote:

It is the older cards having the issue with blinking.  Upgrade to the latest version / model video card that you prefer.  Again, the nVidia 4xx &  5xx Video Cards don't have this issue, only the nVidia 2xx Cards blink.  ATI owners need to reference helpful people on this thread

I can confirm this.  I too had the flashing ZR30w monitor problem.  Had a GTX 295 vid card.  Coincidentally, I was also upgrading my graphics card about 3 weeks after I got the monitor.  I used to notice the flashing a few times an hour with my GTX 295.  I installed my GTX 580 about a week ago and haven't seen a single "flash" since then.  

This isn't the "right" solution though.  It's a pretty expensive fix if you weren't planning on upgrading vid cards.  The monitor should work out of the box for everyone.  If it is sensitive to certain graphics cards for whatever reason, this should be noted so the buyer can make an informed decision. 

Hope everyone can find a solution that is acceptable to them.  This issue is a big pain in the butt.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
prodigious
Message 50 of 60 (2,156 Views)

Interesting the lack of meaningful discussion about impact of GPU among the posts here.  These monitors are GPU drains.  The GPU has to control 4.1 million pixels at 2560x1600.  Compare that to even a 1920x1200 monitor (24 inch) and you've got  almost twice the number of pixels.  And are we talking about displaying static pages or are we gaming?  Again, big difference since we're turning on and off the 4.1M pixels very fast in gaming and some video but not so much in a Word document.  Didn't check the spec's of all cards mentioned but anything less than 1GB on your GPU will not likely drive this monitor properly.  And you need some GPU speed.  I run GTX cards and not all of the 4xx/5xx cards are suitable.  Check the specs.  The connector (DP/dual-link/DVI) doesn't make any difference as long as it meets the manufacturer's requirement.  A good connection won't make up for a deficient GPU.  And you can never have too much GPU.  Final thought.  Make sure your PSU is adequate for your computer's demands.  Powerful GPU's draw lots of watts.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation