ZR30w blinks off - overheating? (6970 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mike489
Message 1 of 60 (6,970 Views)

ZR30w blinks off - overheating?

My brand-new ZR30w blinks off for a few seconds every 2 to 5 minutes or so. This is definitely not software - it happens whether or not there is user activity, and the laptop it is plugged in to does not blink. I kind of suspect overheating. The screen is quite warm - I can feel the infrared radiation on my face 18 inches away, and the air coming out of the back vents is hot. There is no fan on - should there be one?

The brightness is cranked all the way up, and I have not yet tried it with the brightness turned down. This would not be a permanent solution anyway - I want to use the full brightness.

Any similar experiences/suggestions?

Mike

Occasional Advisor
Intr0spect1ve
Message 2 of 60 (6,955 Views)

Re: ZR30w blinks off - overheating?

[ Edited ]

I received four ZR30w's since the end of june. One of them was a dead on arrival (this one had a vertical beam of about two inches wide in the middle of the screen). The other three all have the same blinking problem. At seemingly ramdom occations the screen starts blinking in ramdom intervals, sometimes one blink a day, sometimes 10 blinks an hour.

I tested the monitors on seperate systems, one a HP Pavilion Elite, and one a Mac Pro, and used different A-brand cables. The problem was exactly the same. I even purchased an APC voltage regulator to make sure the power supply wasn't the issue. Nothing made any difference.

I think I tested all possible external causes, and none made any difference. So I suspect the ZR30w may have a structural production flaw that manifests itself under certain conditions (maybe heat, although I can't pinpoint it on that).

The monitors have been tested by my supplier but they couldn't reproduce the problem, so there are probably some side factors as well.

Occasional Advisor
Intr0spect1ve
Message 3 of 60 (6,951 Views)

Btw, my ZR30w's don't blink for a few seconds, but for just a second.

Occasional Visitor
tommyleeh
Message 4 of 60 (6,834 Views)

I have this exact same problem.

i haven't been able to pinpoint it because it happens so intermittently.

I'm running a Mac Pro with 2 video cards (GTX 285 and the stock Nvidia one, I can't remember the name), and 3 monitors (the ZR30w and a Dell 2408 on the GTX 285, and an HPw1907 on the other card).

Have you had any luck figuring out what's wrong?

Love the monitor otherwise, but this is an annoying problem for a piece of electronics this expensive.

Tommy.

Occasional Advisor
Intr0spect1ve
Message 5 of 60 (6,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did find out it's probably not a heat problem. I used an external heating unit to test this, but this didn't lead to more (any) blinks.

So far, I haven't been able to pinpoint the blinks on anything. For some reason the last two weeks I saw only a couple of blinks, while before I often saw several blinks a day.

The only thing I noticed is that the frequent blinking seems to be most present when it's good weather outside. Even during the nights. Airco on/off doesnt matter. But this relation to the weather seems very strange, and probaly is a coincidense.

Occasional Advisor
jaakko_u
Message 6 of 60 (6,681 Views)

my two days old zr30w does the same. i haven't tested it with another PC yet, but seems that this is a problem with the display, then..

Occasional Visitor
hejaaa
Message 7 of 60 (6,677 Views)

you, i have similar big problem:(( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQ6HUzVMEs

Occasional Advisor
jaakko_u
Message 8 of 60 (6,669 Views)

just called HP support, seems that they are quite familiar with the problem because they decided to send me a new one without further questions

Occasional Visitor
Nelson Yip
Message 9 of 60 (6,586 Views)

Which tech support department handle this?

I have the same issue and I called HP and they transfered me all over the place.

The manufactured date is May 2010

Did the replacement fix the issue and if did can you tell us what is the manufactured date on back of the monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Occasional Advisor
jaakko_u
Message 10 of 60 (6,552 Views)

I was talking with the Finnish business clients support people, the new display came from Holland the next day. I was very happy with them until today.. but now this new one has started blinking too.

This new one has been manufactured in june 2010, rev. LIZ121, didn't check what the date on the old one was.

Somebody uploaded a vidclip about the behaviour of his example, all it did was to go blurry on the lower half of the screen, but mine goes completely black for 0,5-1sec. Is yours doing the same?

Occasional Advisor
Intr0spect1ve
Message 11 of 60 (5,165 Views)

I dont have problems like in the clip. It's just a very short full screen blink.

As said, I had the same problem with three different ZR30ws. All of them are manufactured in april 2010 and I live in Holland.

My supplier did finally reproduce the problem, and contacted HP. HP decided to sent one of the monitors to Taiwan to get to the bottom of it. So it more and more seems like a structural problem.

Occasional Visitor
Callsignvega
Message 12 of 60 (5,133 Views)

As a ZR30W owner, I thought I would chime in. Mine was manufactured in May 2010. I have not seen a single flicker or anomaly. I will keep a look out and will reply if I see anything strange.

It sounds like maybe not all ZR30W's are affected. 

Occasional Visitor
Nelson Yip
Message 13 of 60 (5,099 Views)

What cable are you guys using?

Dual DVI or Displayport?

I talked to the tech before and she mentioned it might be the DVI cable.

Visitor
nshupe
Message 14 of 60 (5,001 Views)

I have the same exact problem.  I'll be calling HP tech support ASAP.  Thanks!

Visitor
nshupe
Message 15 of 60 (4,998 Views)

Does anybody have the part number they've given HP?  The CSR I'm talking to can't find it via VM617A4.  Here it is in their own online search tool:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=VM617A4

Occasional Visitor
General38
Message 16 of 60 (4,891 Views)

Okay, I have just purchased this monitor and it blinks as well every 5 minutes or so at random.  :smileywink: It drives me crazy - its really annoying. Apart from that its a great monitor but why the blinking?  Should I send this back or do all these models BLINK?  Has anyone had this issue resolved yet?  Has HP responded to anyone regarding this issue?  HP are you reading this?

Visitor
nshupe
Message 17 of 60 (4,771 Views)

So I got the monitor replaced with another with the same manufacturer date, and the new one still blinks.  I wonder if there's a manufacturer defect in this model.  I wish I could reliably reproduce the blinking as well.

Occasional Visitor
maddmixer
Message 18 of 60 (4,720 Views)

I first visited this thread after I set up my new ZR30w and started experiencing the same issue that is being described. I used the information in this thread to get a new monitor sent to me, which did not resolve the issue. I do not believe getting a replacement from HP resolved it for anyone else having the problem either.

I am no longer having the issue. It appears that replacing my video card has fixed it for me. I was using my stock card before the upgrade. Although it supported DVI-D, it was an older card and I contemplated replacing it before I bought the monitor, but I was told it was compatible and I probably wouldn’t need to. I’m not sure if the issue was the driver, or the physical card itself, but I’m 99% sure the problem has been eliminated.

The reason I am not 100% sure is because it was an intermittent issue to begin with, and I have only had the new card in the machine for 2 days. I haven’t been at my machine as much, but before the upgrade I saw the problem every day, regardless of how much or little time I spent at the computer. Since the upgrade I have not seen it at all.

I obviously have no idea what other people are using for video cards, but thus far, my post is the only one reporting a workable solution so it is something to consider. If the root cause could be multiple things then my solution might not work for everybody. I have no way of knowing.

This was the only complaint I had with the monitor and it is now gone. I guess another complaint would be that I solved it on my own instead of HP having a solution. I called them before my purchase to get a recommendation on specs for a video card that would appropriately support the display and didn’t get a definitive answer. I wasn’t looking for a brand name. I was simply looking for supportable specs. They should probably consider being able to provide that information if requested. It would have completely eliminated any issue on my part altogether.

I hope this helps somebody.

Visitor
nshupe
Message 19 of 60 (4,670 Views)

To verify your claim, I've taken out my eVGA 295GTX which I spent a good deal of cash for temporarily with a Sparkle GeForce 9500.  We'll see if the problem reproduces itself with this video card.

Occasional Advisor
jaakko_u
Message 20 of 60 (4,499 Views)

did the new video card fix your problem? what brand & type did you get?

Occasional Visitor
Nill_Toulme
Message 21 of 60 (4,339 Views)

So... has anyone who's experienced the blink problem received a replacement that doesn't have it? I'm on my third unit. It's the best of the bunch, in that it doesn't blink as often as the first two, but it still does it. (The second one was a complete disaster... it not only blinked very frequently, but the image broke up when it did it.)

Nill
Occasional Advisor
jaakko_u
Message 22 of 60 (4,303 Views)

I bought a new video card with displayport output, i've been using that  fow 2 weeks now and now the blinking is gone.

it is quite strange that HP hasn't been able to find the root cause for this (video cards, DVI cable, DVI input?), they just keep sending new monitors to people. . (I had mine replaced twice also)

Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 23 of 60 (4,267 Views)

I currently have installed a single nVidia BFG GTX 285 card via DVI-D connection on a ten foot cable.  I haven't tried the six foot cable it came with.  I am experience random blink as thos on this thread.  I should be getting a couple nVidia GTX 580 cards (one Galaxy, one EVGA) by Monday that will have to be hooked up via DVI-D as Displayport if not a option and passive converters only worked going from DP on the video card to DVI-D on the monitor and not visa versa.  I will keep you posted on whether it goes away or not with the GTX 580 next week.

Occasional Advisor
TinksMeOfF
Message 24 of 60 (4,233 Views)

Changing to nVidia GTX 580 card did not stop random periodic blinking using DVI-D connection straight from video card to ZR30w DVI-D connection.  So far, the blinking is not that frequent, if it was, it would be a pet peive and I would switch over to a Displayport supported video card to see if that would resolve issue since some one stated that fix there problem.  This of course is highly disappointing considering the cost of this monitor.

Occasional Advisor
NordicPC
Message 25 of 60 (4,207 Views)

I recently installed the ZR30w for the owner of a company and he is now on number two like others here. I do notice that during what appears to be normal operation the power led is off, the blinking starts when the power led turns blue and continues until this led turns off again.

I have tested this monitor on HDMI, Display Port and DVI using various laptops and computers and have found that this problem happens no matter what it's plugged into. Sometimes it's so bad the display is blank for minutes on end.  Regarding heat the first monitor got warm as does this replacement, I wouldn't consider the heat abnormal at all in fact I would say the ZR30w runs much cooler than our 24" Dell's in the office.

I'm opening a new case with HP Support right after I finish typing this,

Hardware Geek
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.