ZR2440W USB Devices Not Recognized (255 Views)
Occasional Visitor
lancecleveland
Message 1 of 1 (255 Views)

ZR2440W USB Devices Not Recognized

I have 3 ZR2440W monitors attached to my HP Envy 17 notebook.   

I've tried connecting the monitors to the USB3 and USB2 ports on the notebook and they do not work properly.

Regardless of how they are connected my Logitech keyboard is NEVER recognized by Windows 7.       It always says "no driver found".   Unplug the keyboard from any of the 12 monitor connections (side or bottom) and plug it directly into ANY of the notebook ports there the monitor was connected and the keyboard shows up fine.

A logitech mouse *sometimes* is recognized when plugged into any of the monitor ports.  70% of the time it comes up "no driver found".   Every now & then I get lucky and when I plug it in it is recognized.

My security dongle is always recognized on monitor #1 and #2 but NEVER on monitor #3.

I've tried all kinds of combinations from only having one monitor "downstream" from the laptop on the USB2 or USB3 port with all 3 devices plugged into that single monitor (No go, keyboard : fail, mouse : fail, dongle: OK) to having each monitor downstream from 3 of the 4 USB ports with one device on each monitor.

The USB ports are putting out power (if I plug my cell phone into any of the 12 ports the phone will charge).

The notebook is putting out plenty of power on each USB channel.    I've run this for over a year now with 3 USB-3 devices plugged in directly + a 10-port USB2 hub (powered) with these very same 3 devices (keyboard, mouse, dongle) on the USB2 hub.  No problems.

The ONLY time I have problems is when I try to use the downstream USB2 hub built into the monitors.

I'd really like to drop the USB2 powered hub and direct notebook connection.   My dream was to have a SINGLE USB connection from the notebook to one of the monitors and daisy chain them with the "permanent desktop" devices hanging off each monitor.    

Instead I have 3 high-end monitors with 12 completely useless USB ports on them and my $12 10-port powered USB-2 hub underneat so I can connect my peripherals.     You'd think a $350 monitor would have a better USB2 hub than a $12 devices from Walmart.

Anyone have ideas on what other things I can play with/check/test?

If HP people are lurking... any official response on why none of the USB devices can register properly when running through the HPZR2440W USB2 hubs?     My guess it the hubs are not powered and thus become a drain v/ acting as a true hub... either that or the drivers are FUBAR.

Clues?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation