Re: Monitor goes to sleep and won't come back up (1878 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tom Kincheloe
Message 1 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Monitor goes to sleep and won't come back up

I have an HP Z400 Professional workstation with Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3. It has a 22" wide-screen LP2275 monitor. The monitor will sometimes go blank then goes to "sleep". To get it back, I have to power down the entire system and then it comes up and everything is fine until the next time it falls asleep. At one point an error came up about the driver but has not come up since. Is there a fix for this? I suspect it is a driver issue but I don't see any driver updates since 2008. Thanks.
Tom
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Re: Monitor goes to sleep and won't come back up

I would try uninstalling the monitor driver in the add remove programs and then install it again. You may also want to check the power settings in windows right click the desktop select propertites on the window that comes up select the Screen saver tab and on the bottom slect the power button. I would set the monitor so it can't go to sleep.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 3 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Tom

There are new drivers for both the ATI and nVidia graphics cards that are quite recent. They are here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3718669&...

Hope this helps.

John K.
Occasional Visitor
Tom Kincheloe
Message 4 of 12 (1,878 Views)

John, are those graphic cards for game controllers?

I clicked on your link and got a "No Report Available" window.

Tom
Occasional Visitor
Tom Kincheloe
Message 5 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Ron, I'll try the driver re-load and see if that works. If not, we'll go to turning off the sleep function, but I've a feeling that won't work and will leave me with just a blank screen. Won't know until we try it.

Thanks for the suggestions, John and Ron.

Tom
Occasional Visitor
AdisF
Message 6 of 12 (1,878 Views)

I have been having the same problem with my PC. My computer is HP Model s7700y, the monitor HP vs15 and it came with Windows Vista.

The monitor will go to sleep fine as long as the computer itself doesn't go into sleep mode. If the monitor goes to sleep after a while, all I have to do is press a key and it comes back.

The problem starts when the computer goes to sleep. The monitor will try to come back, then go to sleep again. I then have to power off by hitting the start button and star the computer. I finally set it so that the computer NEVER goes to sleep but that is just a workaround, not a solution.

I would like to know if anybody has a solution to this problem.
Occasional Visitor
Frank Smeggins
Message 7 of 12 (1,878 Views)

I only discovered the beauty of standby a few weeks ago, I'd always just shut down out of habit. So I started using it.

One night I went to bed with a few things I needed to sort out, left for the morning, put the computer into standby.

Next morning, black screen.

Only fixed by ripping my graphics card out and using the vga cable.

HP must wake up and provide a fix for this.

Otherwise customers will walk again like they did with early HP CD rewriters, and their lack of support.

While they're at it they should provide us with a fix for the clicking noise audible over the built in speakers when connected with an HDMI cable.

It's just not good enough.

I think these monitors need a new BIOS, and I expect anyone reading this will agree

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 8 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Frank,
sorry to say so, but that's just nonsense!

Rainald
Occasional Visitor
Tom Kincheloe
Message 9 of 12 (1,878 Views)

I've resolved the problem for now by disabling the sleep mode as suggested. Now I just log off as I have multiple user accounts. After I log off I turn the monitor off (power button on the monitor, not the computer or power box) rather than let it go into screen saver mode (unless someone else is going to use it). I have not had a problem with it going to sleep; however, I've had the screen go black for a second or two but then restore itself. Not normal.

We keep our computer on even when the office is closed because we were told it isn't a good idea to shut down every day. It also saves time when we come in first thing in the morning as all we have to do is turn the monitor back on and log in and we're ready to go.

I agree -- HP needs to investigate this problem and issue a fix as soon as possible.

From what I've found so far, there are no driver updates to fix this particular problem. It is not certain if this is a software or hardware problem (if it's a hardware problem, the video monitor card probably needs to be replaced, not the driver).

Hopefully someone at HP will pick up on this discussion and investigate. This may be an isolated problem and not chronic to this or other models.

Frank, your problem doesn't sound like the same problem I have. My monitor goes to "sleep" suddenly and without warning (even when I'm typing on the keyboard). It doesn't wake up (even when I turn the monitor power off then on) and I can't restart it with the computer (the computer is still running but I can't "see" what its doing and so I can't type in the computer shut-down commands); I have to literally turn power off at the power box/surge protector for several seconds then power everything back up again. The potential for software damage and/or lost work due to unprotected power interruption is very high so best to disable the sleep mode and not let it go there. I'm still very concerned about these brief periodic "black outs" that occur now and then as if the monitor is trying to go to sleep but can't because, I assume, the sleep mode is disabled.

Tom
Occasional Visitor
Katherine Duncan
Message 10 of 12 (1,878 Views)

Tom,

Monitor Sleeping "Out of the Blue"

I am relieved to see that this is a problem others are having as well even though it is very unfortunate and quite nerve wracking. I also put Sleep & Power settings on NEVER. If anyone gets a Real Fix I would appreciate the info.

Kat
Occasional Visitor
ReadDeeply
Message 11 of 12 (1,123 Views)

I'm not sure if I am more relieved that to find that droves of people are having a problem with their monitor going into permanent sleep mode and refusing to wake up, or more incensed. Obviously it is a problem. Obviously it is a problem that HP that has chosen not to address. Yeah, I think incensed is the "winner."

My son attends school online and absolutely requires his computer to WORK in order to learn. Shame on HP for providing no fix for this problem, which shouldn't exist in the first place. Sleep mode, fine, if you've walked away for a while.... permanent sleep mode that renders the system useless? Unforgivable.

Occasional Visitor
ReadDeeply
Message 12 of 12 (1,119 Views)

Kat,

Please tell me how you did this without being able to see anything on the monitor? Or did yours wake up? Mine won't wake up under any conditions, not by turning it off, unplugging it, not even by shutting the whole system off. This is so frustrating!

Thanks, Kat! 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.