LP2465 monitor- can't enter PIN to disable Theft Deterrence Mode (4252 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Don Brewer
Message 1 of 5 (4,252 Views)

LP2465 monitor- can't enter PIN to disable Theft Deterrence Mode

Forgot about Theft Deterrence Mode being enabled, disconnected and relocated the monitor and PC. So it's reconnected to the same PC again but Theft Mode is now active, with moving on-screen warning message, dimmed display and less than full-screen display. I have the PIN to disable it but in HP Display Assistant all tabs are gray / inaccessible except Options, i.e. I can't access the Plug-ins tab where my web search says I need to enter the PIN. OSD / On Screen Display using the monitor buttons is locked, which is apparently normal in this mode. I downloaded a new copy of Display Assistant but haven't installed it for fear of worsening the situation. Anyone know a fix?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frankffg
Message 2 of 5 (4,234 Views)

Re: LP2465 monitor- can't enter PIN to disable Theft Deterrence Mode

I have same problem, but with the L2208w, i have my code for deactivation of theft mode, but cant enter it. just that i never removed my monitor to another place. plz help.  i guess this is a issue from the software HP display assistant. by the way, did you solve that problem? how did you do it?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
USA0866
Message 3 of 5 (4,135 Views)

I am trying to get the theft mode enabled screen off the monitor at my work place but the manager had the email sent to her then deleted it thinking it was SPAM,  I think her brain is Spam sometines

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shivu.h.n
Message 4 of 5 (4,042 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

Thanks for using HP Forums!

In order to move the moniter

After moving monitors described in the "Scope" from one system to another, the following issues occur:

> Brightness level is reduced well below normal.
    > The OSD control is locked.
    > A white box, containing the message "Theft Mode Enabled," continuously floats across the display.

The issue occurs if theft deterrence has been enabled using the HP Display Assistant Utility .

NOTE  HP Display Assistant theft deterrence feature minimizes the occurrence of theft or unauthorized relocation of the display. Theft deterrence does not prevent the display from being stolen, but hinders the operation of the display once it is moved to another computer.

RESOLUTION

To resume normal operation of the monitor, connect it to the original system and use the HP Display Assistant Utility to disable theft deterrence (Option 1) or install the HP Display Assistant on the new system (Option 2).

Option 1 : Disable theft deterrence before moving the monitor.

> Open the HP Display Assistant.
    > Click the Plug-ins tab.
    > Click the Theft Deterrence button.
    > Click the Disable Theft Deterrence button.

NOTE  Once theft deterrence has been disabled the monitor can be moved to any system and it will operate normally.

Option 2 : Restore the monitor to normal operation on the new system.

Install the HP Display Assistant Utility on the new system and then enter the original PIN to unlock the monitor. The utility can be downloaded from the HP Web site using the following link:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/monitors/us/download/23238.html

NOTE  If the original system is not available and the PIN is not known, contact HP for assistance with having the monitor reset.

Thanks & Regards,
Shiva Venkatesh Babu
Hewlett Packard
Forum Moderator
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
stephenjt1tx
Message 5 of 5 (1,461 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a LA2306x 23" Monitor and I moved my monitor from my laptop to my desktop and it brought up theft mode.  I put it back on my laptop and it is working normally but I do not have nor have ever had a pin.   Could someone enlighten me as to how I go about getting a pin?

Also I called HP tech support and their answer is they want to send me a new Monitor.  Really!

Help!!!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation