HP ZR24w: Backlight Flickering (1244 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Preisser
Message 1 of 5 (1,244 Views)

HP ZR24w: Backlight Flickering

Hello,

I recently bought a new HP ZR24w monitor (24", IPS panel). It works great, but I see some strange flickering of the backlight. For example, let's say the brightness is set to level 80. When I power on the monitor, the display looks normal for about 20 seconds. Then, Backlight starts flickering. After 30 seconds, the flickering decreases, and after about 2 minutes, it disappears and the backlight is stable. However when I then reduce the brightness to 30, the flickering starts again, and actually it won't stop anymore. If i reduce the brightnes to 0, it is gone and the backlight is stable again.

Is this behaviour normal? Because for a valuable monitor with IPS panel, I would expect a stable backlight.

What should I do about it?

Thanks,

Konstantin

Occasional Visitor
NaivePurchaser
Message 2 of 5 (1,147 Views)

Re: HP ZR24w: Backlight Flickering

Hi there.

Sorry I am no help, but I wanted to add weight to this query because I have the exact thing with my monitor. I have the brightness setting at 72 and the contrast setting at 62 (because it is comfortable at those settings) Colour setting is 6500k. I am using a DVI port connection to a ATI video card. Screen resolution is at recommended setting of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. This has happened on the two mornings that I have used the display so far. I'm think in a couple of weeks it may stop flickering or the monitor has a problem.

Once the flickering stops after about 2 minutes it is very nice to use. I use it for CAD utilising multiple small icon button menus which this monitor makes more comfortable.

I would appreciate it if you learn anything more about this problem - can you keep this thread updated, as will I.

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
NaivePurchaser
Message 3 of 5 (1,111 Views)

OK, so if anyone is wanting to know, I am still experiencing flicker when my monitor is first turned on. This occurs about 30 secs after powering on and lasts for about 2 minutes. I was hoping it would have stopped by now.

I am thinking it may have something to do with my brightness/contrast settings but have no idea what to try and prefer the settings where they are. Tried using the calibration utility which achieved nothing as my settings based on feel where just as effective.

Using DVI port.

So now I simply leave the monitor on 24-7, but not over the weekend (business machine). Not ideal for a high spec monitor.

If anyone can make a suggestion as to how to alleviate this bothersome effect please feel free to.

Occasional Visitor
comonad
Message 4 of 5 (1,101 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

So I got very similar issue. Bought the HP ZR24w and in a second week of usage got slight flickering during system startup. It goes away about at the time system shows me login screen. Also If I turn off the screen for about 5 minutes, when I turn it back on my monitor flickers for a few seconds then returns to normal. My brightness setting is at 9. Everything else is at factory settings, no callibration and all. Is this normal? Will it get worse? Should I use my warranty now?

Additional info: I use DVI. Also I tried to turn off source detection with no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Oleg

P.S. Will this worries be answered  by HP officials?

Occasional Visitor
NaivePurchaser
Message 5 of 5 (1,080 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am wondering the same thing. It seems that no-one of any worth is adressing anything anyhow.

My flicker is persistent. i have discovered a way to disguise it following other forum postings - set the monitors brightness and contrast to maximum and then adjust to preferred display using the graphics card software. I can still detect the fickering at startup but only because I know what to look for - virtually undetectable otherwise.

However I am disappointed at this characteristic and am confused as to whether it is 'normal behaviour'. i regret getting this monitor now.

Thanks for you comments comonad.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.