WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you. (120941 Views)
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 26 of 39 (1,531 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine?

>the printer keeps asking for WPA passphrase

I assume you know what your WPA passphrase is?

Occasional Visitor
dmf1
Message 27 of 39 (1,424 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

I cannot find any reference to the SSID code(WPA pass phrase) on my i-mac in the keychain utility and refuse to be "ripped off" for 35 pounds for the privilege of asking Apple this question. Can you please help as I have not used my HP printer for several weeks now !!

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 28 of 39 (1,418 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac

>I cannot find any reference to the SSID code (WPA pass phrase) on my i-mac

Have you read any of the posts?

The SSID is the ID of the wireless network.  The WPA is a property of the router and not of your Mac.

But your OS also needs to know the password to connect to the wireless network, so there may be a way to get it from there.

Occasional Visitor
joemaglio
Message 29 of 39 (1,338 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

setup

printer to router. the question what is wpa passphase?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 30 of 39 (1,328 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac

[ Edited ]

>what is WPA passphase?

Have you read all of the posts in this topic?  LIke this one:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Macintosh-Compatible-Products/WPA-Passphrase-what-is-one-and-how-do-I-f...

Occasional Visitor
raffaele200
Message 31 of 39 (867 Views)

Re: wireless printer states my passphrase is invalid

I have tried to inserti the WAP code found on the bottom of my Comcast wireless router but my 8500HP printer rejects this code and asks for WAP security phrase

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 32 of 39 (860 Views)

>I have tried to inserting the WPA code found on the bottom of my Comcast wireless router

This is typically the passphrase when you reset the routine to the factory default.  So if you have ever changed the passphrase, that on the bottom won't work.

Do you have a PC/MAC that connects to the router?  Perhaps you can get the passphrase from it?

Otherwise you need to reset the router and distribute the passphrase to each device.

Visitor
Pudden
Message 33 of 39 (755 Views)

Printer hpj4680. how do I locate my WPA passphrase . I don't see it on the router.  Did I initially provide a passphase. I don't recall. could it be some place other than on the router?

Thanks

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 34 of 39 (748 Views)

>could it be some place other than on the router?

Have you read all of the other posts here?  You need to login to the router.

The WPA password is gotten from your router.  Or from your computer if you have configured it to work wirelessly.

HP Pro
ironbadger
Message 35 of 39 (719 Views)

Probably the easiest way to find your network password (WPA Passphrase, WEP Password, etc) is to open the Keychain Access Application on your Macintosh.  It is located in the Applications\Utilities folder.

Once opened on the left you will see Keychains.  Click on System.  Below that you will see Catagory.  CLick on Passwords.

Now in the larger window on teh right you should see a list of every wireless network your Macintosh has ever been connected to.  Double Click on the Newtwork Name (SSID) of the network to which you are connecting your HP printer.  It should also be the wireless network where your Mac icurrently resides.

Click on the show password box.  At this point you will need to enter you User Name and Password for you Macintosh.  Once authenticated, the Passphrase (Password) will show in the box next to Show Password.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 9.34.39 AM.png

This is the only reliable way I know without actually remembering your wireless password/passphrase for you network.  And will only work if at some point you told the Mac OS to connect automatically to this wireless network.

I work for HP
Occasional Visitor
Marie43
Message 36 of 39 (647 Views)

What is WPA Passphase
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 37 of 39 (641 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac setup

I would suggest you read all of the replies in this topic.  One of them will answer your question.

Occasional Visitor
leahmacvie
Message 38 of 39 (607 Views)

Thank you for finally providing a little more info other than "please see the other replies". I will add to the user info on this topic- the reason why so many people may be having this issue is because their modem is loaned and has certain restrictions- governed by the Internet company. All of my issues started when Time Warner Cable (now owned by Comcast?) decided that I needed to be upgraded in order to download and upload at the rate that I need to. They insisted that I swap out the modem for an 'Ubee" modem. There were a whole series of issues I had connecting using this "easy self-installation" process, even though I am an "IT professional". So to add another solution- I believe that individuals should check with their Internet provider to find out if there are any restrictions on their WiFi, as I will be doing. As someone who does a lot of tutorials and offers a lot of IT help and consultation to her faculty, may I recommend that you a) follow up on this issue and b) do a little more than just say 'read the replies' (i.e. start using something like Jing to create tutorials that you can continue to paste in or use screen shots as ironbadger has done here). When I followed the steps ironbadger had laid out, I can see that the password I was using is indeed correct and that the new installation of the Ubee modem and my issues connecting to the printer are probably not a coincidence.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 39 of 39 (601 Views)

[ Edited ]
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.