WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you. (129559 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Becs
Message 1 of 39 (129,559 Views)

WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

I have a Hp Photosmart printer and it keeps asking for a WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Airport express wireless network. Thank you. 

Advisor
Dsells12
Message 2 of 39 (127,820 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

WPA stands for Wi-Fi protected access. It is a standard security protocol implemented by Wi-Fi alliance to secure wireless computer networks. WPA standard is advancement over WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) standard that had several security issues. WPA implements most of the IEEE 802.11i standard and provides greater security than WEP.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/44810.aspx#ixzz17iBtVgcx

Occasional Visitor
CallMeMatt
Message 3 of 39 (127,778 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

In plain English, the WPA Passphrase is just the password to join your wireless network. Here's how to find it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1790

Matt

Occasional Visitor
SPAZIO22
Message 4 of 39 (124,868 Views)

WHAT IS WPA PASSPHRASE ON MY HP 310C ALL IN ONE SERIES PRINTER

Occasional Visitor
shadowhunter101
Message 5 of 39 (119,841 Views)

WPA Passphrase, What is it and where do I find it? Thanks

Occasional Visitor
Tsurf
Message 6 of 39 (119,298 Views)

How do I find my WPA pass phrase for my HP photosmart D110 printer?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 39 (119,272 Views)

Re: WPA passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac setup

>How do I find my WPA passphrase for my HP photosmart D110 printer?

Wireless security passphrases are typically assigned by the router, not printer.  Bluetooth is different.

On the printer, you just enter it.

Occasional Visitor
vrag
Message 8 of 39 (118,654 Views)

Hi there, i also need to know what is WPA passphrase on Hp photosmart? I have Mac com.

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 9 of 39 (118,624 Views)

The WPA passphrase is not for unlocking anything in the printer itself. When the printer comes from the factory, it has no WPA passphrase set at all. That means the printer cannot connect to any protected wireless network unless configured.

The WPA passphrase is usually set in your wireless access point (or router... which is essentially an advanced access point for the purposes of this discussion), by you or the person who set it up for you. Each wireless device needs to know two things to connect to a typical home wireless network that is protected with WPA: 

• the name of the wireless network (also known as SSID)
  • the WPA passphrase of the network (also known as the network password)

The SSID is normally broadcast by the access point, to allow other devices to detect the available wireless network(s) in range. But to actually use the wireless network, the device must also know the passphrase of the network, or the access point will not accept any traffic from the device, and the device cannot make any sense from the incoming traffic, because the traffic is encrypted, and the WPA passphrase is used as the encryption key.

So it should now be obvious that neither HP nor anyone else on the Internet should not be able to tell you the WPA passphrase of your wireless network.

If you have lost the WPA passphrase of your wireless network, you have some work ahead of you. You must find the password of your wireless access point and configure it with a new WPA passphrase, and then configure this new passphrase to all your wireless devices so that they will again be able to communicate with the access point.

If you have lost the admin password of the access point too, you will usually have to reset the access point to factory defaults and configure it again. The instructions for this are normailly in the User's Guide of the access point. If that is also missing, you should Google for keywords "reset to factory defaults" and the manufacturer and model of your wireless access point.

(All of the above assumes you're using a wireless encryption mode called either "WPA-PSK" or "WPA-Personal". It is the most common encryption mode for home wireless networks. Large enterprises may use "WPA-Enterprise" instead, which requires a RADIUS server and has multiple sub-modes with different requirements and advantages. But if you have that, you probably also have a helpdesk or network administrator that can tell you the required settings for joining the wireless network. There are also a broken legacy wireless encryption mode called WEP - you don't want to use that, unless the only other option would be a completely unprotected wireless network.)

MK
Occasional Visitor
JJFURST
Message 10 of 39 (114,473 Views)

WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mind?

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 11 of 39 (114,451 Views)

It is a secret word or phrase, selected when you were setting up your wireless network. All your wireless devices must know the secret in order to connect to your wireless network.

In the Mac world, it may be called "Wireless Password".

The printer does not ask it because it wants to restrict you from something: the printer asks it because the printer does not know it and cannot connect to your wireless network until you tell it the password.

You may be able to find out your wireless password by:

• remembering it (or reading your notes, if you wrote it down when setting up your wireless network)
  • reading the configuration of your wireless Base Station / Access Point / router (if the configuration utility displays it: some will display only asterisks or dots instead of the actual password/phrase)
  • reading the configuration of some wireless device that already can connect to your network and will display the wireless password in plaintext (the same caveat as in the previous point)

If you cannot find out the current wireless password, you will need to configure a new one: first into your Base Station / Access Point / Router / whatever is the centrepiece of your wireless network. Once that is done, you must configure the same wireless password to all your other wireless devices too, or they won't be able to connect to your wireless network.

MK
Occasional Visitor
Message 12 of 39 (111,613 Views)

wireless printer states my passphrase is invalid

I just registered my passphrase to be matire29 and printer states it is wrong

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 13 of 39 (111,584 Views)

Re: wireless printer states my passphrase is invalid

>printer states it is wrong

Does this match what the router says?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 14 of 39 (88,060 Views)

Re: WPA passphrase wireless HP 4500

Did you have a question here?

You need to get the passphrase from your router.

Occasional Visitor
tarquin
Message 15 of 39 (82,021 Views)

Re: WPA passphrase wireless HP 4500

my photosmart 5520 requiires awpa passphrase to connect to my router, what is it ?where do i find it???

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 16 of 39 (81,972 Views)

Re: WPA passphrase wireless HP 5520

[ Edited ]

>requires a WPA passphrase to connect to my router, what is it?

You need to login to your router to get/set the WPA passphrase.

If your laptop is wireless, you would have to have that passphrase to connect, so try copying it from there.

Occasional Visitor
LeeJac
Message 17 of 39 (78,834 Views)

Need WPA PassPhrase for setting up wireless printing with my Apple products

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 18 of 39 (78,780 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac setup

[ Edited ]

>Need WPA Passphrase for setting up wireless printing with my Apple products

Have you read the other posts?  What have you tried?  Have you logged into your router?

Occasional Visitor
igustibagus
Message 19 of 39 (78,628 Views)

I have HP printer 6500 A Plus,I can not go throu without WPA Passphrase,How do I find out.I have Mac setup,Airport express wireless network.Thanks

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 20 of 39 (78,564 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine? I have a Mac setup

[ Edited ]

>I can not go through without WPA Passphrase

Have you read the other posts?  What have you tried?  Have you logged into your router?

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 21 of 39 (78,305 Views)

Apple wireless base stations (Airport Express, Airport Extreme and the Time Capsule) are configured using the Airport Utility program on your PC or Mac. The Airport Utility calls WPA Passphrase "Wireless Password". It is on the "Wireless" tab.

Unfortunately, the Airport Utility does not seem to display the current Wireless Password. So if you have forgotten it, you should use the Airport Utility to set a new Wireless Password for your base station, then set all your other wireless network devices (including the printer) to use the same WPA Passphrase/Wireless Password you set to the base station.

For the benefit of other readers of this thread, I repeat:

The "WPA Passphrase" in HP products is the same thing as "Wireless Password" in Apple products.

For some reason, Apple has decided to omit the industry standard name for it.

MK
Occasional Visitor
lalexius
Message 22 of 39 (74,414 Views)

Re: wpa passphrase wireless hp 4500

I keep getting messages that my printer is not connected to the wireless network. I have done nothing to change anything. The printer just stopped working. Initially I could cut the power off and it would reboot but now it remains idle no matter what I try, stating the wireless connection is not there.

Occasional Visitor
cbutler67
Message 23 of 39 (71,138 Views)

Printer asks me for wpa passord what is this?????

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 24 of 39 (71,105 Views)

Re: WPA Passphrase, what is one and how do I find out mine?

>Printer asks me for WPA password what is this?

Have you read all of the other posts here?

The WPA password is gotten from your router.  Or from your computer if you have configured it to work wirelessly.

Occasional Visitor
mcain2110
Message 25 of 39 (67,472 Views)

Re: WAP Passers, what is one and how do I find out mind? I have a Mac setup, Thank you.

my laptop is wireless my network included a printer i used to be hooked up to a netgear router but it broke so now i'm hooking my network to a clearaccess ag 10w router/modem the internet is ok but i can't get my hp photosmart 6380 all in one to work the printer keeps asking for wpa passphrase and i tried different solutions from the internet but none of them solve the problem

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.