How to SETUP Wireless Printer on a wifi network on the P1102w with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (422 Views)
Occasional Collector
tikihouse
Message 1 of 2 (422 Views)

How to SETUP Wireless Printer on a wifi network on the P1102w with Mountain Lion 10.8.5

[ Edited ]

If anyone can help ..... I just upgradeed four desktop (iMac) computers to 10.8.5 and I can not confirgure the printer to print wirelessly.  I have two printers, the 6980 was easy as the printer has an ethernet port.  I spent all night last night on the forums and then spoke to HP but they do not offer any paid support here in the Cayman Islands.  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 2 (376 Views)

Re: How to SETUP Wireless Printer on a wifi network on the P1102w with Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Is the printer already configured for the wifi network?

To successfully join to a wireless network, the printer needs the same three things a computer needs:

• the name of the wireless network (also known as a SSID, or ESSID in some cases)
  • the encryption mode used (none, WEP, WPA, WPA2 - only WPA2 offers meaningful security these days). This can be qualified with the authentication type: for small wireless networks, PSK (= PreShared Key) is the most common. WPA2-PSK might also be named something like "WPA2-Personal" sometimes.
  • the authentication secret for the wireless network. For PSK authentication type, this is the network password or passphrase. For other authentication types it might be something more complicated.

If these three things are already correctly configured to the printer, the printer should be able to connect to your wireless base station, get itself an IP address and start announcing itself on the network. You can verify that by making the printer print a configuration page: that can be done using the buttons on the printer, no computer needed for that.

The configuration page should include the name and IP address the printer is using: you'll need this information for the next step.

When googling for some images on the P1102w, I found this video that actually covers getting the configuration page and the entire Mac configuration procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntfZbydai-Y

(Note that in about 2:02, the printer already appears under "Nearby Printers", so the process could be considerably shortened by clicking on the printer there.)

MK
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation