HP Color LaserJet CP4005 FF09 Errors (634 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Paul Fanning
Message 1 of 5 (634 Views)

HP Color LaserJet CP4005 FF09 Errors

I have a HP Color LaserJet CP4005dn running on a USB connection to a Power Macintosh G5 which produces a 49.FF09 service error between every 10 and 60 print jobs. I understand that the FF09 error is some type of communications error between the Mac and the printer.

These errors can occur either printing a file, doing a driver set-up using the "Print & Fax" setup panel in System Preferences or accessing the HP Printer Utility application. If printer is in sleep mode the error may also happen.

The error seems to happen regardless of software application, even if it is a 1 page or multiple page print job. I have swapped around USB cables and USB ports, but have have had no improvement. HP have verified that I am using the latest HP Color LaserJet printer driver and PPD file.

Further, HP changed out the formatter card and still error message comes up. I have even reinstalled all of the Mac OS in the hope of fixing the error, but for no improvement. HP have indicated that the error must be now software related on my Mac.

Currently I have OS X 10.5.2 installed and have done some further diagnostic tests, with help from Apple, using a generic postscript printer driver. After printing about 86 jobs using the generic postscript printer driver no FF09 errors have emerged.

I have spent dozens of hours attempting to resolve this FF09 error. My conclusion is that the HP Color LaserJet printer driver is at fault. Prior to this printer, I had a HP 2420 LaserJet printer which did not produce this type of fault.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul F
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Harry Lubansky
Message 2 of 5 (634 Views)

Re: HP Color LaserJet CP4005 FF09 Errors

This error seems to be more associated with the Jetdirect hardware in laserjets, but has also been seen with HP scanjet scanners. It appears difficult to diagnose. The only question I have is whether the printer can give the error when it is unconnected to the G5 and you print a test page from the control panel, to rule out any computer connection vs the printer itself. If you wake the printer from the control panel does the message ever occur? I am assuming that the hard reset has been done, with no effects changed afterward.

Also, have you updated the firmware to the printer Jetdirect card, even though you are not using it in your system. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by updating, if a firmware update is available for this model.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Paul Fanning
Message 3 of 5 (634 Views)

Harry, many thanks for your very interesting comments about the FF09 error being related to the Jetdirect hardware on LaserJet printers and ScanJet scanners. My previous HP 2420 LaserJet did not have a network card installed, so that may explain why I did not have get the FF09 error then.

From what HP advise me, is that the Jetdirect card is mounted onto the formatter card. HP changed my formatter card on the printer about two weeks ago. The replacement formatter card is dated December 2007.

I am keeping a close check on the HP website for any firmware updates for this printer, but so far the last issued was version 46.033.1, dated 17 September 2007. The HP LaserJet Utility confirms that I have 46.033.1 installed already. The HP Color LaserJet CP4005 Printer series download page makes no mention about any firmware updates for the JetDirect card.

According to the readme file accompanying the version 46.033.1 firmware update, one of the fixes included "Corrected some conditions that would cause 49.00FF errors when printing Postscript files". To me this means HP has a lot more work to do to resolve other 49.00FF errors, including the FF09 error. Have you any comment or suggestion?

Whenever I wake the printer from sleep mode using the control panel the FF09 error has never come up. As mentioned in my first post, the FF09 error has not appeared when printing with the generic postscript printer driver, even after doing 86 different print jobs. Why does the FF09 error only appear when using the HP Color LaserJet CP4005 driver?

All the test pages that I have printed using the control panel have failed to produce the FF09 error. I have also done the hard reset on the printer two or three times, but the FF09 error has always returned. Have you had any direct dealings with HP about these FF09 errors? If so, what did they tell you?

Any more feedback would be really appreciated. I may end up passing all of these comments back through Apple and/or HP for actioning.

Paul F.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Paul Fanning
Message 4 of 5 (634 Views)

I have a further development to let you know about after having sent last post to this discussion list.

I had a look through the Jetdirect user manual for my printer and found it is possible to disable the LAN network connection to the Jetdirect card, via the printer control panel. To do this, I switched off printer, then switched on holding done the "select" button until the "Disable LAN Connection" option became visible by scrolling down the menu list. Then I selected the "Disable LAN Connection" option.

After disabling the LAN, I printed off about 102 jobs using the HP Color LaserJet CP4005 printer driver and did not get any FF09 errors. The HP Jetdirect manual suggests to contact HP technical support if it is confirmed that the Jetdirect card is faulty.

If you have any other comments, then please let me know. Any feedback would be welcome.

Paul F.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Paul Fanning
Message 5 of 5 (634 Views)

It seems that I may have been a bit too lucky in earlier post. After printing about 150 odd jobs, the FF09 error has appeared once more. I suspect disabling the LAN Connection option in the printer control panel has helped to reduce the incidence of errors considerably, but has not totally eliminated them all.

There must be some other issue, perhaps the HP Colour LaserJet CP4005dn printer driver, causing the FF09 errors. Could it be a faulty Jetdirect card and printer driver together that are causing the faults? I'm not too sure!

Paul F
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation