Connecting HP Laserjet 4050 to Mac OS X 10.6 (14502 Views)
Occasional Visitor
AndreP
Message 1 of 15 (14,502 Views)

Connecting HP Laserjet 4050 to Mac OS X 10.6

Hi,

a friend oh mine has a very old (pre 2004) HP Laserjet 4050, which is still going strong, but has no USB port, just parallel and Ethernet with TCP/IP and IPX/SPX (yeah).

He connected it until now on Win XP + Vista using an USB to parallel adapter cable, and it worked.

However, this does not work any more with his new Mac Book pro. The printer will be recognized at setup and the apropriate driver (HP Laserjet 4050) will be automatically selected. But then printing (1 page Word text, 1 page Adobe Reader) will not work. 

On the Mac, it will say "sending data", but there will be no indication of that on the printer, and the sending will not end after 30 minutes.

I tried to configure the printer via Ethernet/TCP/IP over a switch, with nearly the same results. But I am not sure I configured everything needed, may be I averlooked someting more special. I am familiar with configuring home networks including servers, routers, Wifi access points, printers etc.

Does anyone have any idea? Is there any special configuration trick? Do I have to use the Gutenprint driver?

This message will be posted also in Apple's forums.

Thank you,

Andre

Esteemed Contributor
Pier3v
Message 2 of 15 (14,491 Views)

Re: Connecting HP Laserjet 4050 to Mac OS X 10.6

I don't know Mac (unfortunately but working on it) but on win7 for example you need to check the port that the printer uses, it cannot be LPT1, it must be USB or USB adapter otherwise the USB/parallel cable connection will give all kind of troubles.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 15 (14,478 Views)

If printer is connected via network then use the tcp/ip settings to connect to the MAC.  The MAC should find it on the network.  You can try a cold reset of the printer by holding down the green button while powering on until cold reset appears in window.  Wait about 2 minutes after printer comes to ready and print a config sheet from the information menu on the printer and use the settings on the second page.  You can also manually change the tcp/ip settings of the printer to 192.0.0.192 which is an address macs like.  This address is not good if using with windows based computers.

Occasional Visitor
AndreP
Message 4 of 15 (14,434 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions, but.... there is no such thing as LPT1 on the Mac :-))

I will try to connect it over the network.

Regards,

AndreP

Occasional Visitor
AndreP
Message 5 of 15 (14,433 Views)

I tried that. too, but I think there is some parameter I get wrong.

The network includes a DSL router 192.168.2.1, with DHCP adresses between 100 and 200, so I tried to give it the IP address 192.168.1.99. So I cannot use the default printer settings

When entering this address I would have to fill the params byte 1, byte 2, byte 3, byte 4. I am not sure if byte 1 is the highest legel byte (192) or the lowest level byte (99).

Then, for an IP-connected priner I can select 

Internet Printing Protocol

Line Printer Daemon (LPT)

HP Jetdirect Socket

I have no idea what I should select

And last but not least, I should select between the HP 4500 Series and the HP 4050 Series Gutenprint driver (I suspect I should select the second one)

Besides, I cannot exclude the possibility that the (network) printer will be used under Windows Vista too, but this is not decisive, as for Windows it can be used via USB/parallel. 

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Andre

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 15 (14,413 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do a cold reset of the printer by holding down the green button while powering on the printer until cold reset appears in the window. Release and when the printer comes to ready wait about 2 minutes and then see if the MAC can find the printer on the network.  I just read you post again and you should not have to manually enter the address as it should find its own.  When you print a config page from the infromation menu you should get a second page with the ip address the printer was assigned by the router.  If you do not get a second page or there is no ip address then you have either jetdirect problems or network issues.  No second page the jet direct is bad.  All 0's then card, cable or network issues.

Occasional Visitor
AndreP
Message 7 of 15 (14,045 Views)

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was very thankful for your hints. 

In between it turned out that the Ethernet interface of the printer has a problem, if I connect it to a switch the corresponding LED it will not start to blink. The test pages also indicate a problem in this area, so I called it quit. For first attemt to connect it via Ethernet I used a DSL-Router with 4 LAN interfaces without LED signalling.

Thanks a lot,

Andre 

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 15 (14,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

What type of problem.  If the card is a 610N or 615N they are known to have issues but can be repaired using the "baking" technique.

Occasional Visitor
adhart81
Message 9 of 15 (13,522 Views)

Thankyou very much - cold reset works perfectly. yet another benefit of "billion" voice internet community.

Occasional Visitor
LaraCroft_NYC
Message 10 of 15 (11,992 Views)

Re: Connecting HP Laserjet 4050 to Mac OS X 10.6-10.7

[ Edited ]

UPDATE

How to make HP LaserJet 4050 work with OS 10.6 – 10.7

1. Add printer: USE IP tab/button in the ADD PRINTER dialog.
  2. Enter the IP address of the printer (you can check it by logging into your router and listing all devices. The printer is device/PC name "NPIC5B1C1", OR by going to the information menu on the printer and selecting PRINT CONFIGURATION (2 pages)).
  3. After entering the IP address, it will automatically look for the correct printer driver. (NOTE: You must have downloaded/installed this beforehand from the HP website. HP says (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01664444): "With the release of OS X 10.7 Lion, HP is providing updated print drivers and software. These updates are available through Apple Software Updates in Mac OS X." Here is the link at Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907. Direct download (about 500MB): http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/M...)
  4. Name the printer in the add printer dialog.
  5. Click the ADD button.
  6. DONE

If this doesn't work (you might get the error message, "UNABLE TO VERIFY THE PRINTER…"), all you have to do is RESET the printing system *(which I had to do):

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Choose Print & Scan.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. OR: Hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset Printing System… from the contextual menu.
  4. Any printers, scanners, or fax modems that previously appeared in System Preferences will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.
  5. Then click the "+" button to re-add the LaserJet printer as above (re-add other printers as well).

*What does Reset Printing System do?

• Deletes all queues and jobs.
  • Resets all printer settings to their default by deleting configuration files.
  • Performs a permissions check on the /tmp directory.

Any printers, scanners, or fax modems that previously appeared in System Preferences will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Occasional Visitor
anaerose
Message 11 of 15 (11,853 Views)

I just went through trouble connecting a 4050N to OSX 10.6.8. It wouldn't connect or print when I set it up by choosing IPP as the Protocol (as I normally do when adding a network printer). It finally connected and printed when I chose HP Jetdirect Socket as the Protocol and then entered the IP address in the Address line.

Collector
evvance
Message 12 of 15 (11,494 Views)

I have a new iMac 21.5" running Mac OS X Lion, and I was frustrated because I couldn't connect to my war-horse HP 4050n, which is connected via Ethernet to a Time Capsule, and then via Airport to my computer(s). I had successfully added it to the printer list of my previous iMac using the IP address, but that wasn't working. 

Today, I read through the discussions here and printed out the HP 4050 Configuration Page, which confirmed the IP address but added a new piece of information: an HP JetDirect Configuration Page. 

I had called AppleCare, and the tech rep was trying various solutions, but when I told him about JetDirect, he told me to select that option from the Add Printer IP menu. I entered the IP address, "Add Printer" automatically selected the correct driver, and I was printing within minutes.

Occasional Visitor
lizhenquan
Message 13 of 15 (10,479 Views)

Hi...

I have unsuccessfully tried everything suggested without much success. I can manage the 4050 from the network (telnet and ftp), but I cannot print to it. 

The best I can determine at this point is that perhaps the JetDirect 610n firmware needs upgrading (current version is 20.23). I tried upgrading with a PC which shows successful to the latest version, but the printer still reports the older firmware. I was unable to upgrade the firmware from the Mac as the printer does not have (nor can I create) the /download directory described in the online help.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated as it sounds as though this can work.

Thanks, Li

Occasional Visitor
Cynthia123
Message 14 of 15 (7,432 Views)

I know this is an old post. But I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUE!

I can usually print one page from email or web or pages.  Then the printer won't print again.   Until I reboot then the same thing happens over again.

I too have a parrallel to usb cable that I bought at staples.

I am desperate.  

It is an 4050.  No network.

Occasional Visitor
freestylette
Message 15 of 15 (5,708 Views)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.