Re: Using LoadRunner to test Web Services (5685 Views)
Regular Visitor
lkzho
Message 1 of 13 (10,758 Views)

Using LoadRunner to test Web Services

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would like to use LoadRunner to test  Web Services. 

Could anyone please share your experiences and give me some advises?

Is there any  document that I can read for my reference?

Thanks in advance,

lkzho

P.S. This thread has been moved from Best Practices and Methodology to LoadRunner Support Forum - HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jmoss
Message 2 of 13 (10,684 Views)

Re: Using LoadRunner to test Web Services

You have to have the web services protocol licensed. Its usually in the SOA bundle. Scripting is straight foward. The best source of documentation for this is the vugen manual. Basically you import your WSDL, add then add the service you want to test.

For JSON services use the HTTP protocol since they are not SOAP or XML.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
James Leatherman
Message 3 of 13 (10,463 Views)

I have found a great deal of success in using only the HTTP protocol for web service testing. I build the request in SOAPui and copy it into a web_custom_request.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Speedmaster
Message 4 of 13 (10,238 Views)

That's not a bad idea, I may end up giving that a try.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Nathan Bramble
Message 5 of 13 (10,008 Views)

I agree with James Leatherman and we have been doing the same thing for two years now. The network protocol is the same, you're just talking about a different format for the body of the web packet. Our developers use SOAPUI (free!) during development, it's a breeze to port the SOAPUI service calls into a web_custom_request in LR.

If you really want a short cut you can even set SOAPUI as the application you record in LR and record it running the posts to your services from there, generating the code automagically.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
James Leatherman
Message 6 of 13 (9,436 Views)

OK - at this point, I have warmed up to the Web Services protocol a bit, mostly because I can use 'Import SOAP' to build my request. I use SOAPui to build the request, then save the XML off to a file, then import into VuGen. As long as there is no web service security enabled in the test enviornment, this is probably the easiest method.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Arjun_Valipired
Message 7 of 13 (9,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
asr_Dennis
Message 8 of 13 (9,381 Views)

We also use SOAP over HTTP like James Leatherman mentioned.

James is referring about security.

If security is an issue then Loadrunner as two options for working with certificates:

web_set_certificate and web_set_certificate_ex.

Also those guys over at networks can manage a lot of things in their infrastructure.

Per example: the case-sensitvity of the request URL could be case-sensitive.

Just some examples.

NB: If this solves your problem / helps you on the way, consider acknowledging with Kudos. To kudo a post, select the white star in the purple square by the post in the thread.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vprasadreddyk
Message 9 of 13 (7,202 Views)

Hi lkzho,

Hope doing good and have done work on web services application testing by using Load Runner.

I am new for web services protocal in Load Runner even i do not know how to generate script.Could you please let me know the proper steps to generate script by using .war file in load runner with web services protocal.

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
randakar
Message 10 of 13 (7,190 Views)

Be forewarned, though. In our testing, we discovered that the Web Services protocol adds some 'wasted time' to all requests, and this wasted time slowly increases over the duration of the test.

It's not so big a problem if your response and thinktimes are high enough, but I've had some tests where thinktimes were driving the load and when wasted time exceeds a second and your think time is less than a fraction of a second it starts to dominate your load profile.

---
Discover the y-lib loadrunner support library:
https://github.com/randakar/y-lib
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Velmurugan_K
Message 11 of 13 (6,376 Views)

Hi All,

This is Vel. I am new to Performance Testing and Load Runner.

I have been doing functional(Manual) testing for 4 years and Automation Testing (QTP) for 2 years, before moving to Performance Testing (Load Runner).

My first project in Performance testing is an application with Web Services. We have decided to use Load Runner.

I have done few recordings of some application flow and face the below issues,

1. The application under test just asks for registering for only first time (User id and password) in the particular machine. Later when the application is opened while recording, it just opens the home page directly without asking for credentials.

2. Many values captured in the recording seem to be encrypted. How do I deal with that?

3. Some dynamic values (Which I try to co-relate) for request and response appear within the same Soap Request. I could not find the same value anywhere in any of the previous Soap Requests. Any points about this?

4. When I replay the script after co-relation, during the run time, the values for the corelation are not displayed. Just the co-relation name is displayed while the script replays. Am I missing something here?

I understand that I have posted lots of questions. Pardon my ignorance please. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Vel.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Gerrie_2
Message 12 of 13 (5,701 Views)

Hi all

I am enountering another problem where we are required to add a huge set of data in the web service call.

How do we go about it...as we are not able to direclty add all the data as a parameter as it is seen as multiple lines or records and not one block of code.

We have also tried to paste the section directly beteen the "base64data> </base64date>" in the vUgen action but vUgen crahses as there is close to 9000 lines of data dat we paste starting and ending with quotes ", as required.

Hope someone else has encountered something similar and found a solution for it.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
vmanolova
Message 13 of 13 (5,685 Views)

Hi,

Please review the following discussion:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LoadRunner-Support-Customer/How-do-I-load-a-27K-long-XML-into-a-web-ser...

Kind regards,

HP Support
If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation