Pyxis Mobile (385 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Howard Jessee
Message 1 of 2 (385 Views)

Pyxis Mobile

I am trying to find some references around performance testing of Mobile applications developed using Pyxis Mobile.  

There are simulators available for many device types including Apple, Google and RIM.  Is there a LR protocol that works with any of these simulators or are people somehow going directly to the Pyxis servers for performance and load testing?

I am not new to LR or performance testing but this is my first look at seeing how someone might test Mobile devices with LR so any help pointing me into the right direction would be helpful.  I would be glad to hear about any business that you have my have worked with that provides services around mobile application testing specifically who have experience with Pyxis Mobile.

Thanks

Howard Jessee

Howard.Jessee@chep.com

Trusted Contributor
Oliver Lloyd
Message 2 of 2 (371 Views)

Re: Pyxis Mobile

The approach for performance testing Apps on mobile devices is, essentially, much the same as for your typical web application.

You have two areas of focus.

1. The load on the server and the communication protocol this is sent over.

2. The performance of the client.

You need to understand the difference here and be able to distinguish between traffic from the device to your servers (those that you are responsible for testing) and any third-party hosts (that you might not be responsible for testing and should not be spamming).

For 1, The protocol is going to be HTTP, probably, so you can use a standard web-based protocol to replay these requests. You need a tool (LoadRunner) because you want to simulate lots of clients.

You can sniff the traffic using all sorts of little tools like Fiddler and you can do this either using a simulator or a real phone (if you setup your laptop as a wifi station).

All this is really easy - you should google around for things like 'sniff iphone traffic'.

For 2, You also - maybe - want to think about the performance on the App when it is running on the client. You don't need a load testing tool to do this, just a device, an ability to count and maybe some profiling tools. This is not straight-forward, esp. when dealling with Apple.

In general for all areas, you need to think about things like caching, network load and the user experience - you should learn about how these things are different on devices compared to a browser. For example, a browser has a cache and is often running over broadband, this allows for lots of pages and calls. A device often has no cache, poor connectivity and therefore Apps needs to be optimised to reflect this. For this reason, you often find grey haired developers who remember the time when each byte mattered tend to be better at writing efficient App code.

Oliver
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.