Re: Cannot download proxyroot.cer to VuGen host for use with Mobile Protocol (735 Views)
Regular Visitor
Chris_VK
Message 1 of 8 (855 Views)

Cannot download proxyroot.cer to VuGen host for use with Mobile Protocol

Hello,

We've been struggling with recording a script for our native mobile app using all methods including pcap, emulator, and proxy recording. We've narrowed the issue down to VuGen not generating a script when trying to interact with native apps using SSL. We can't even sign into the mobile app when proxied from an Android phone to our laptop with VuGen (all on the same wifi network).

The VuGen help mentions downloading the proxyroot.cer using the machine name or IP. This did not work for me. Also I suspect the proxy certificate is the problem because I was evaluating a different tool and the one difference is that we were able to download a similar certificate from the providers of the test tool and had a successful script.

We're using v11.52 on both a Windows 7 laptop and Windows Server 2008 on a VM.

Thanks for any help!

HP Expert
KertLuo
Message 2 of 8 (829 Views)

Re: Cannot download proxyroot.cer to VuGen host for use with Mobile Protocol

You can try whether the URL is accessible from your VuGen machine. You can use http://127.0.0.1:8888/proxyroot.cer to download it and send mail to your ios device.

BTW, do you have some firewall software in VuGen machine installed?

Regular Visitor
Chris_VK
Message 3 of 8 (816 Views)

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, we're not able to access that URL from our VuGen machine. We get a message saying the browser could not connect. I tried this on my Android phone on my provider net work (not company's wifi) and still couldn't access the proxyroot.cer.

So we have our Windows Servers with VuGen and Loadrunner and we also have one stand-alone pc with only VuGen. We're using that pc as the proxy. I don't believe there's a firewall but we do have antivirus (McAfee) running.

I have tried access the URL with McAfee off and with the firewall down on the Windows Server VM's but still had no luck.

Are you able to access the URL and download the proxyroot.cer? If so, would you be able to attach it to this forum post?

Thanks!

HP Expert
vmanolova
Message 4 of 8 (807 Views)

Hi Chris,

http://127.0.0.1:xxxx/proxyroot.cer is only available if VuGen is recording in Proxy mode. 

Could you please check the following:
1.  xxxx  in the link http://127.0.0.1:xxxx/proxyroot.cer is the same as the port you have specified in the field: "LoadRunner proxy listens on port"

5ProxyRecordingConfigureListeningPortAndDisplayRecToolbar - Trimmed.png

2. you are accessing the link with the correct port when LoadRunner proxy recording is started and you can see the floating recording toolbar on the VuGen machine.  

Kind regards,

HP Support
If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give Kudos to the author for their assistance.
HP Expert
KertLuo
Message 5 of 8 (798 Views)

The proxyroot.cer is different on different VuGen machine, so you can not use mine.

Some troubleshooting tips here,

1. after you started proxy recording, can you record HTTP request?

2. after start recording, you can open a command line window, run the following command,

netstat /na | findstr xxxx

here xxxx is the port number you specified in start recording dialog. You should see some logs if everything is OK.

3. After start recording, go to task manager, and check whether you can find a process named HP.LR.ProxyRecorder.exe. It should be there.

4. Before you click on start recording, your VuGen machine's IE proxy setting should be as usual (not 127.0.0.1:xxxx).

5. install a firefox in VuGen machine. after start recording, start firefox, set its proxy to 127.0.0.1:xxxx, then try access HTTP ant HTTPS sites and let me know the result.

Thanks.

Regular Visitor
Chris_VK
Message 6 of 8 (784 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks! We were able to install the proxyroot.cer....the problem was we weren't actually recording when trying to access the url to download the cert. We followed all of the steps recommended in the previous post (with success) except for the firefox proxy-browser settings, we just haven't gotten to that part yet.

We were able to generate a script for the linkedIn native app with no issues. We're trying the DeVry Mobile App and still aren't able to get past the log-in. We tried this all with port 443, assuming our issues were due to SSL authentication. We're going to try switching ports to see if that helps.

Additionally, we found that log-in to the DeVry App uses LDAP for authentication. Should we use multi-protocol (i.e. Mobile or Web + LDAP)?

Any other suggestions are welcome! 

HP Expert
KertLuo
Message 7 of 8 (757 Views)

First, Proxy recording does not support multi protocol.

A possible reason of the failure is the app uses very strict security policy and denied the fabricated certificate from LoadRunner, or uses some client side certificate. That's not easy to solve. The testing engineer need to obtain the corresponding certificate.

I tried the APP and only student of the university can login to it. Are you from the DEV team of the APP? Or can you get the security policy information fromt he DEV of the app?

Regular Visitor
Chris_VK
Message 8 of 8 (735 Views)

I'm on the QA team and we did ask for a client side cert from the Dev team, but it hasn't made a difference.

So far we have been able to record activity for both native app (non-SSL “Earthquake USGS” app) and browser activity. We were able to record activity form DeVry’s student portal website too. The LinkedIn app does generate a script, but Paypal, Box.com’s app, and DeVry’s app won’t allow us to log in.

What I should mention is that when we try to get the proxyroot.cer after hitting the record button, we are prompted to give the certificate a name, and then it appears to be saved in the USER certificate store on the phone. But when we go to verify the certificate is there, it is named “DO_NOT_TRUST_BC”. That doesn’t seem right…

You were right about the multi-protocol, it did not help.

We evaluated a product called Webload a while back and we easily proxied through the same way using DeVry's app. We had to download a certificate from Webload, just like VuGen's proxyroot.cer. We also used my own wireless hotspot to avoid any firewall issues with the company's wifi. 

I was using my own student account to log in...that's the only production account I have access to. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.