Re: perl DateCalc & Calc issue (431 Views)
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 1 of 12 (431 Views)

perl DateCalc & Calc issue

Hi,
I have some issue with perl modules,i have perl 5.8.3 & installed DateCalc 3.2 & Calc 5.4 module, but when i execute my primary package on apache server ,log shows some message as follows

Subroutine Date::Calc::Language redefined at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/Date/Calc.pm line 103.
Subroutine Date::Calc::Languages redefined at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/Date/Calc.pm line 103.
Subroutine Date::Calc::ISO_LC redefined at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/Date/Calc.pm line 103.
Subroutine Date::Calc::ISO_UC redefined at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/Date/Calc.pm line 103.
Subroutine Date::Calc::Version redefined at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/Date/Calc.pm line 103.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at Pace.pm line 98.
Undefined subroutine &Date::DateCalc::check_date called at Pace.pm line 543.

no element found at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187

Details
HPUX 11iv2,rx4640,2CPU,8GB
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 2 of 12 (431 Views)

Re: perl DateCalc & Calc issue

Hi:

The 'Date::Calc' module documentation notes that:

/* begin quote */

"In the current implementation of this package, the selected language is stored in a global variable.

Therefore, when you are using a threaded Perl, this may cause undesired side effects (of one thread always selecting the language for ALL OTHER threads as well).

/* end quote */

Hence, I believe that that describes the first set of messages you report.

For the remainder, you need to examine things further.

Regards!

...JRF...
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 3 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi james,
Actually i am new to perl,what u brought to my attention is acceptable but what shud i do to resolve the issue..??
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 4 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi James,
Eagerly waiting for your help
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 5 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi (again) Cyclops:

You need to look (at least) at your 'Pace.pm' module around line 98 and also lie 543. The "uninitialized value" is a warning, but the undefined subroutine constitutes an error.

&Date::DateCalc::check_date

...should be:

&Date::Calc::check_date( ...

...or:

Date::DateCalc::check_date( ...

Regards!

...JRF...

Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 6 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi james,
Sorry for the delay, I tried the things as u suggested but still its showing the same error...
I still couldnt figure it out what is the error..also i think check_date function is of Calc.pm package,then why its showing error with DateCal.pm package..

waiting for ur reply.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 7 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi (again):

> i think check_date function is of Calc.pm package,then why its showing error with DateCal.pm package..

I don't know what module 'Calc.pm' is. In your initial post you mentioned "DateCalc 3.2 & Calc 5.4" which is interesting since the 'Date::Calc' module's current version is in fact 5.4. I can only presume that 'Calc.pm' is something indigenous to your local installation.

My previous post may have confused things. I _should have_ written the following:

You need to look (at least) at your 'Pace.pm' module around line 98 and also lie 543. The "uninitialized value" is a warning, but the undefined subroutine constitutes an error.

&Date::DateCalc::check_date

...should be:

&Date::Calc::check_date( ...

...or:

Date::Calc::check_date( ...

Regards!

...JRF...
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 8 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi James,
i tried to look into Pace.pm package i didnt got any clue.As i said before i am new to perl , so your help is very much expected
i still cudnt figure it out.
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 9 of 12 (431 Views)

hi james,
Can u please tell me what are the valid versions of DateCalc & Calc modules for perl 5.8.3

waiting for ur reply.
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 10 of 12 (431 Views)

Hi ,
I tried to debug my perl file, i found the following errors
may be some problem with DateCalc module's month_name_tab function.

Please help me out.

DB<13>
Pace::getDateLabel(Pace.pm:338): my $startMon=substr(month_name_tab(substr($_[0],4,2)),0,3);
DB<13>
Undefined subroutine &Pace::month_name_tab called at Pace.pm line 338.
Pace::getDateLabel(20090706,20090706) called at /utilities/intranet/apache/cgi-bin/pace/plotfsusage.pl line 148
main::initialise() called at /utilities/intranet/apache/cgi-bin/pace/plotfsusage.pl line 120
main::main() called at /utilities/intranet/apache/cgi-bin/pace/plotfsusage.pl line 257
Debugged program terminated. Use q to quit or R to restart,
use O inhibit_exit to avoid stopping after program termination,
h q, h R or h O to get additional info.
Honored Contributor
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Message 11 of 12 (430 Views)

I think you're better helped at PerlMonks.org
They are specialized in (beginners) problems like this

perl-5.8.3 is rather old. perl-5.8.9 or perl-5.10.0 are the more current versions.

Date::Calc 5.4 is recent and fine. I never heard of the DateCalc module.

Don't use '&' in front of subroutine calls, unless you know why you want that. In 99.99% of the cases you do not want to use this perl4-like syntax.

Use strict and warnings. Start you script like this:

--8<---
#!/opt/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

-->8---

and perl will show you where what variable caused problems

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Occasional Advisor
cyclops_1
Message 12 of 12 (430 Views)

thanks all and sorry for the delayed reply.
Actually i uninstalled the Calc modules removed all the Calc.pm & DateCalc.pm and again reinstalled those modules.
It worked out for me and my application is running fine.
Thanks all.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.