Re: UNIX arrays (140 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Pat Peter
Message 1 of 5 (140 Views)

UNIX arrays

Hi,

I have written a script which has a line called "set -A array". When I execute it with
ksh <script name> it is executing fine. But the same when I tried without "ksh" it is giving an error called "Array parameter not set".

I have used "#!/usr/bin/ksh -eu" in the first line of the script but still it gives the error.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks,
Pat
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Child_1
Message 2 of 5 (140 Views)

Re: UNIX arrays

Have you tried changing the first line to:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
or
#!/usr/bin/ksh -e

I'm not sure without testing how the -u set effects this, but its worth a try:

-u Treat unset parameters as an error when substituting.

David
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Paul Cross_1
Message 3 of 5 (140 Views)

Make sure that the ksh you call on the command line is the same as the one you use in your script.

IE:
> which ksh
should be /usr/bin/ksh.

You could also run the script with -x to see what it is doing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Pat Peter
Message 4 of 5 (140 Views)

Hi,

I don't get the error when I remove the option 'u' from #!/usr/bin/ksh -e.

Can you please let me know why this happens.

Thanks,
Pat
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 5 of 5 (140 Views)

As mentioned, set -u or the command line means that an undefined variable has been used someplace in your script. If your exact command list is:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
set -A array
echo ${array[0]}

then you will indeed get an error that element 0 is not set. Since array has not been assigned anything, set -u treats this as an error (a very good idea by the way) and stops the script. Now if the exact error message is: Array parameter not set" than you probably misspelled the array's name. NOTE: "Array" is not the same as "array". The following will run very differently if you type set -u before running it, and then type set +u and run it again:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
set -A array
echo $array
echo ${array[1]}
echo $Array

All 3 echo lines have arrors: the first is trying to echo an undefined array, the second is trying to show an undefined element (none have been defined) and the last line is a spelling error. So the -u option is flagging your script with an error message. If you leave set -u out of your script. your login shell probably has set +u in force so undefined variable are treated as null values, which is never a good idea. Always code set -u at the beginning of your scripts:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
set -u
set -A array
echo $array
echo ${array[1]}
echo $Array
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation