Typing 8 bit characters on the console (36 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Olivier ROBERT
Message 1 of 2 (36 Views)
Accepted Solution

Typing 8 bit characters on the console

Dear forum readers,

I have a strange problem with my HP terminal. When I am connected on the console to the HP-UX (11.00) system (running on an A400), it looks like 8 bit characters aren't transmitted correctly. For example, if I type an "e" with a cute accent, it displays "i" instead, and when I type the Euro symbol, it displays... a dollar! (yes I'm using the ISO-9 character set). That smells like an 8 bit problem, but I don't see how to correct it. In local mode everything displays OK, and even more mysterious (to me at least), I tried once on an rp2470, and it worked OK in GSP mode, but not in console mode... Am I the only one with that problem?
Thanks in advance!

Olivier ROBERT
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
A. Clay Stephenson
Message 2 of 2 (36 Views)

Re: Typing 8 bit characters on the console

On the console, do a stty -a and note whether you have cs7 or cs8 set for 7-bit or 8-bit characters. You might also have istrip (rather than -istrip) set that will strip the hi-order bit from input characters.

You should be able to correct this with a stty cs8 -istrip command. (This does assume your terminal also it set for 8-bit characters itself.)
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation