Re: VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX (122 Views)
Frequent Advisor
rventura
Message 1 of 3 (162 Views)
Accepted Solution

VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

Hello,

So i recently did a fresh install of 11.31 on one of our servers, it is noted that the default it is to use VxVM 5.0.1 and i just toniced some changes on the device files used in LVM.

Before we would use device files like: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 to create PVs and so on. However, when i was inspecting the already created VG00 i noticed that it showed:

--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name /dev/disk/disk3

So my question is, in order to mirror my boot disk, do i just need to follow the same old documentation and just change the device file used from /dev/dsk/cXtXdX to /dev/disk/diskX...? Or are there other considerations i need to take before doing this?

Anyone care to share some ideas or documentation on this matter?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 2 of 3 (156 Views)

Re: VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

The /dev/disk/disk# vs /dev/dsk/c?t?d? device files are due to the I/O stack on HP-UX 11.31.  

There are multiple white-papers on the new I/O stack available here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en...

As far as mirroring goes -- Yes, you can substitute the new /dev/disk/disk# device file for the old /dev/dsk/c?t?d? device files.  Other than that, you mirroring procedures are exactly the same.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Emil Velez_2
Message 3 of 3 (122 Views)

Re: VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

You can have vxvm use the agile device files by doing

vxddladm set naming_scheme=osn mode=new

You say you use VxVM 5.01 but you mention lvm.. If your system is using a VXVM boot disk you should mirror using vxvm vxrootmir command in /opt/VRTS/bin

Emil Velez
HP UNIX Certified (CSA, CSE HPUX 11i High Availability) HP Software (Openview) Certified Consultant
Certified HP Instructor, Technical Certified I and II SMB and Enterprise
Master ASE Superdome Solutins

HP Education Services

Ask me about training on Blades, Proliant, HP-UX, ServiceGuard, Polyserve, X9000, Virtual Libraries, and High Availability

internet: Emil.Velez@hp.com
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/emilvelez

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation